Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am an IB student from the US and will finish my exams on the 23rd of May, after that i will be going to the the UK to visit some of the universities which i have offers from (Birmingham, York, Sheffield, Warwick, Queen Mary).

My priority is to see which city and campus i like the most because i will be there for 3 years, the program and reputation i can pretty much find out from the internet. I realise that there will be no more open days after the 23rd of May. So should i just go to the cities and the campuses and tour them by myself? Is that a good idea?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YSL160992)
    Hi everyone,

I am an IB student from the US and will finish my exams on the 23rd of May, after that i will be going to the the UK to visit some of the universities which i have offers from (Birmingham, York, Sheffield, Warwick, Queen Mary).

My priority is to see which city and campus i like the most because i will be there for 3 years, the program and reputation i can pretty much find out from the internet. I realise that there will be no more open days after the 23rd of May. So should i just go to the cities and the campuses and tour them by myself? Is that a good idea?

Thanks!
    A lot of unis have general open days for prospective students in the year below at the end of June/beginning of July which would be worth going to. These are almost the same as the offer open days (for candidates who only have offers)- you will get a chance to look at the campus, go to a talk about the course, and in some cases see accomodation.

Birmingham
    Thursday 30th June & Friday 1st July 2011.

York
    Wednesday 6 July

Just google "uni name" + open day and you should get an answer. If you can't make it to all the official open days then its worth seeing if they are doing campus tours- some unis do this- I went to one at Sheffield in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Email them, some universities can make arrangements for someone to give you a tour - you might even be able to meet a staff member from your department! I'm not sure about Intl. applicants but don't you have a date for when you need to reply to your offers by?

ReputationRep:
    As you say, you're going to be there for three years. It ought to be worthwhile.

Jelly1000's suggestion of looking for offer-holding open days is a good one.

If that's not an option, or not an option in every case, it might be worth hunting down contact details for whichever department (admissions?) deals with open days at each university, and seeing if they're amenable to some kind of lower-key, personal open day just for you. It varies, but I've heard of universities producing a current student to act as a guide, or finding someone from the relevant department to talk to you.

(Also it'd be a chance to fit in some sightseeing.)

(Also also, I read English at QMUL 2007-10, and would be happy to answer any QM questions I can answer if you PM me . . . though the ask-a-current-student thread in the relevant subforum may be more useful )

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.