Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey

I'm just filling in my occ health form for imperial and have a couple of questions..

1. I am short-sighted - does this class as a visual impairment? I thought it would but I googled it, and some websites said it doesn't. If i should mention it, do I need to include how shortsighted I am?

2. Although I wasn't properly diagnosed with having anorexia, I lost quite a lot of weight last year and was made to see my GP quite a lot about this. She said she thought it was anorexia, but it only went down as 'weight loss' on my medical records (partly because she knew I wanted to apply for Medicine). Do I need to mention the weight loss on the form, and if so, where on it?

thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    hey

I'm just filling in my occ health form for imperial and have a couple of questions..

1. I am short-sighted - does this class as a visual impairment? I thought it would but I googled it, and some websites said it doesn't. If i should mention it, do I need to include how shortsighted I am?

2. Although I wasn't properly diagnosed with having anorexia, I lost quite a lot of weight last year and was made to see my GP quite a lot about this. She said she thought it was anorexia, but it only went down as 'weight loss' on my medical records (partly because she knew I wanted to apply for Medicine). Do I need to mention the weight loss on the form, and if so, where on it?

thanks a lot!
    Can you see fine with glasses? If yes it doesn't count. When they mean visually impaired they normally mean severe colour blindness or lack of vision.

The second is a little trickier. You shouldn't put down a condition you haven't been officially diagnosed with, however if you fail to mention that have had mental health problems and sought help for it, then it could come back to hurt you if you do ever have any in the future. Universities, hospitals and the General Medical Council are very supportive and helpful, so long as you're completely honest at the time of filling out Occy health/fittness to practise forms.

Call up your occy health nurse at the university, they have to keep everything you say confidential from the uni, no different than any other healthcare professional. They should be able to guide you with what to put down. You may need to just go and have a chat about any past problems to work out if they need to set up some sort of help framework for you.

All the best with everything!

ReputationRep:
    I would just be honest on the forms, you're going to be a doctor and you don't want stuff hanging over you. I've never heard of someone having trouble from an occupational health form. You don't need to be whiter-than-white when it comes to these forms (CRB is a bit more complicated though and that seems to be where people get confused) Medical schools understand that people go through tough times, particularly as a teenager. I've seen people with serious self harm, anorexia, affective disorders etc. all okayed without any major issues - it usually just means you need to have an appointment with occy health during your first year (which you will have anyway these days to check your vaccinations) where they will ask you if everything is okay and point out that you should seek help if you ever need it.

Sometimes they might also just ask for a signed note from your GP okaying you. Now that might sound scary, but these guys throw prescription pads at peoplejust to keep them happy and avoid an argument, I can't imagine there is a GP out there who would refuse to sign your occy health clearence over a funny spell when you were 15 (and lets be honest, teenage girls aren't the most psychologically stable lot). Even if they did refuse, you would just need to leave the surgery, walk down the road to the next surgery and ask them to do it instead /rinse and repeat until you find a GP that isn't a ****.

Plus, most hospitals have such disorganised occupational health departments the chances are your form will end up sat in a drawer forever more without so much as a glance from a human.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.