Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    rep if you can help answer this.

During mitosis at the start during interphase you call them chromosomes until anaphase where you refer to sister chromatids then at telophase they are called chromosomes again,why?
    what is the big diffenece between them?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hissyfit)
    Hi

During mitosis at the start during interphase you call them chromosomes until anaphase where you refer to sister chromatids then at telophase they are called chromosomes again,why?

Thanks
    Four Chromatids aka tetrad= A pair of chromosome.If that makes any sense
    Basically prior to DNA replication you have single chromatids which later on replicate.

ReputationRep:
    During anaphase the chromosomes split into 2. Each half of a chromosome is called a chromatid. In interphase the chromatids are still together to make chromosomes
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hi

Thanks

In Interphase they look like this:

Each of p and q is one chromatid, where as p & q together make one chromosome (or a sister chromosome). On the diagram above, there are 2 chromosomes attatched by the centromere as they have been duplicated. They remain like this until anaphase.

At anaphase they are referred to as the single chromatids because the chromosome has been pulled apart at the centromere by the microfibrils, and is migrating to the poles. Because the chromatids have been pulled apart in anaphase, it would be impossible to refer to them as chromosomes.

In telophase they are referred to as chromosomes again because this it the last stage of the cycle- the chromatids have been duplicated and have formed new chromosomes. Back to stage 1 so it can all continue again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheatworld)
    In Interphase they look like this:

Each of p and q is one chromatid, where as p & q together make one chromosome (or a sister chromosome). On the diagram above, there are 2 chromosomes attatched by the centromere as they have been duplicated. They remain like this until anaphase.

At anaphase they are referred to as the single chromatids because the chromosome has been pulled apart at the centromere by the microfibrils, and is migrating to the poles. Because the chromatids have been pulled apart in anaphase, it would be impossible to refer to them as chromosomes.

In telophase they are referred to as chromosomes again because this it the last stage of the cycle- the chromatids have been duplicated and have formed new chromosomes. Back to stage 1 so it can all continue again
    Aha! thanks I think I get it because at telophase the sister chromatids start to replicate again when they start to go into interphase again.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Aha! thanks I think I get it because at telophase the sister chromatids start to replicate again when they start to go into interphase again.
    Yep! :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheatworld)
    Yep! :thumbsup:
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    hi

A replicated CHROMOSOME is 2 SISTER CHROMATIDS JOINED TOGETHER by the centromere

Hope it helped

ReputationRep:
    was this gcse stuff? im screwed for exams this year :/

ReputationRep:
    Name:  img006.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  392.3 KB

I drew the diagram and I hope this helps.

So basically they are called sister chromatids because each of the chromatids have replicated and produced identical chromatid. It's still attached by the centromere so it's still on the same chromosome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    hi

SISTER CHROMATIDS ARE 2 CHROMOSOMES JOINED TOGETHER (CONSISTS OF A CHROMOSOME AND IT'S COPY) by the centromere

Hope it helped
    I'm pretty sure one chromosome has 2 sister chromatids instead...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but what is chromatin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nash24)
    Sorry but what is chromatin?
    do you mean chromatid as chromatin is completely different thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sigma5116)
    do you mean chromatid as chromatin is completely different thing!
    I mean chromatin..Because I was reading the stages of meiosis and Prophase is described as:
    'Condensing and supercoiling of chromatin'

ReputationRep:
    Basically chromatin is a DNA and other associated proteins which form the chromosome which is highly condensed structure. So chromatins are usually less condensed than chromosome.

Hope that Helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sy_1)
    was this gcse stuff? im screwed for exams this year :/
    I didnt know this when i did GCSE

Im still trying to get my head round it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sigma5116)
    I'm pretty sure one chromosome has 2 sister chromatids instead...
    oooh, crap. yeh sorry it's the other way round. i'll edit that post

ReputationRep:
    I also read that during mitosis, the chromatids are called chromsomes when they reach the opposite poles of the cell, i would look this fact up as well, to be sure incase you get a question like this in the exam.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.