Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What would be the quickest way to integrate something like sin^3 or cos^3? I'm always faced with these and I can never be bothered to compute them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta316)
    What would be the quickest way to integrate something like sin^3 or cos^3? I'm always faced with these and I can never be bothered to compute them!
    First getting them in the form involving sin3x, cos3x, etc. Can't remember exactly what they are but you don't want any cubes or squares. Remember the pythagorean identity. :wink2:

Please correct if I'm worng here someone cause I'm not 100% sure right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta316)
    The quickest way would be to remember them! They're not that farfetched. In terms of method, write them as \sin x (1-\cos ^2x) and \cos x (1-\sin ^2x) respectively and integrate by recognition noting that you have something of the form g'(x)f'(g(x)). I know you're at university so I probably sound a little patronising here but that is probably the easiest ways to the evaluate those integrals.

ReputationRep:
    if you have something in the form of dy/dx= sin^a x where a is an odd number like dy/dx=sin^3 x
    use substitution, let u=cosx
    u'=sinx so
    dy/du=sin^3 x/sinx
    dy/du=sin^2x=1-cos^2x=1-u^2
    and thus you can integrate it from there, if dy/dx=cos^a x where a is an odd number, let u=sinx and you'll get an answer pretty easily

ReputationRep:
    Do as Farhan suggests. More generally, to integrate \cos^{2n+1} x, rewrite it as cos x (1-sin^2 x)^n expand by the binomial theorem, and you can write down the integral of each term

(\int cos x sin^k x = \frac{sin^{k+1}x}{k+1}).

Even powers are considerably harder.

ReputationRep:
    You could evaluate cos^2x by integration by parts then use that value to work out cos^3x by saying u = cosx and dv/dx = cos^2x

then memorise the results so you don't have to do it again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFextra)
    You could evaluate cos^2x by integration by parts then use that value to work out cos^3x by saying u = cosx and dv/dx = cos^2x

Try it. It will not be fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFextra)

As DFranklin said above, it's considerably more hassle to deal with the even powers so it probably isn't sensible to do that in order to deal with the more simple case of the odd power. Besides, using integration by parts in that way will just complicate matters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    It probably wouldn't help, if I'm honest. I can't see a way to use the compound angle expansion in reverse to deal with the integral of sin or cos to an odd power.
    sin^3x = (3 sin x - sin 3x)/4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    sin^3x = (3 sin x - sin 3x)/4
    That's why I should really know my expansion of sin(kx) and cos(kx) for at least k=2 and k=3. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    It probably wouldn't help, if I'm honest. I can't see a way to use the compound angle expansion in reverse to deal with the integral of sin or cos to an odd power.
    Oh God. I feel like such a fool making basic mistakes nowadays. I was thinking something along the lines of this:
    \sin 3\theta=3\sin \theta - 4\sin^3 \theta
    So \sin^3 \theta=\frac{1}{4}(3\sin \theta  - \sin 3\theta)

And using this:
    \int \sin^3 \theta\ dx
    = \frac{1}{4} \int 3\sin \theta  - \sin 3\theta\ dx
    = \frac{1}{4} (-3\cos \theta  + \frac{1}{3}\cos 3\theta) +C
    = \frac{1}{12}\cos 3\theta -\frac{3}{4}\cos \theta +C

Could you point out the mistake please because I genuinely can't see it. Thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElMoro)
    Oh God. I feel like such a fool making basic mistakes nowadays. I was thinking something along the lines of this:
    \sin 3\theta=3\sin \theta - 4\sin^3 \theta
    So \sin^3 \theta=\frac{1}{4}(3\sin \theta  - \sin 3\theta)

And using this:
    \int \sin^3 \theta\ dx
    = \frac{1}{4} \int 3\sin \theta  - \sin 3\theta\ dx
    = \frac{1}{4} (-3\cos \theta  + \frac{1}{3}\cos 3\theta) +C
    = \frac{1}{12}\cos 3\theta -\frac{3}{4}\cos \theta +C

Could you point out the mistake please because I genuinely can't see it. Thanks for the help.
    That's fine! It was me that was making the stupid mistake, I apologise. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Try it. It will not be fun.
    Oh yeah, I only managed to prove that the intergral of cos²x is equal to the intergral of cos²x...

brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine! It was me that was making the stupid mistake, I apologise. :o:
    Haha, well it happens to the best of us.

ReputationRep:
    You can always write it in complex exponential form. Expanding and integrating is then easy. (The tough bit is then simplifying again).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 14, 2011
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.