Turn on thread page Beta

Weight belts? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, on my starting strength routine today some guy came up to me and said that I should really use a weight belt for the squats and deadlifts I was doing.

I wore it, more out of appreciation of advice than anything else but I did find the weight extremely easier than it normally would.

So is it best to stick with the weight belt or am i getting more benefits out of squatting unassisted?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    the weight belt takes the strain off of your abdominal muscles. Persistent use can use these muscles to fall behind and become weaker. Use of the belt can prevent serious injury and is a good idea on maximal lifts. Warm up sets should be done without the belt, and ab work seperately, to give your abs the chance to keep up. Besides that, it is a good idea to use it for safety

ReputationRep:
    Lukedavidhopkins1, please stop spouting the nonsense you've read in Men's Fitness.

A proper lifting belt (i.e. not one of those crappy Maximuscle-type ones that are narrower at the front) will allow you to contract your abdominal muscles harder, thereby increasing intra-abdominal and intra-thoracic pressure. Imagine your thorax as an inflatable - the higher the pressure inside, the more robust and - so stable - it is. If you'd otherwise be unable to achieve this stability, then a belt will indeed contribute to your lifting and keep you safer.

Whether or not this is valuable in the pursuit of strength is debatable, there are stables of very strong lifters that don't ever use them (the Average Broz dudes), but nearly all powerlifters do. I'd contend that most people can lift heavier weights (in various lifts) with the use of a belt, but some people don't get much out of it. There's no reason to think that any muscles will 'fall behind' if you do use one, though. Your beltless lifting will progress even if you only ever train with a belt (although I don't know why you'd care about that if you never go beltless!).

It's up to you, really. I think I get a lot out of a belt, personally.

ReputationRep:
    I've never used one, concentrated on getting form right and strengthening my core through compounds instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Lukedavidhopkins1, please stop spouting the nonsense you've read in Men's Fitness.

A proper lifting belt (i.e. not one of those crappy Maximuscle-type ones that are narrower at the front) will allow you to contract your abdominal muscles harder, thereby increasing intra-abdominal and intra-thoracic pressure. Imagine your thorax as an inflatable - the higher the pressure inside, the more robust and - so stable - it is. If you'd otherwise be unable to achieve this stability, then a belt will indeed contribute to your lifting and keep you safer.

Whether or not this is valuable in the pursuit of strength is debatable, there are stables of very strong lifters that don't ever use them (the Average Broz dudes), but nearly all powerlifters do. I'd contend that most people can lift heavier weights (in various lifts) with the use of a belt, but some people don't get much out of it. There's no reason to think that any muscles will 'fall behind' if you do use one, though. Your beltless lifting will progress even if you only ever train with a belt (although I don't know why you'd care about that if you never go beltless!).

It's up to you, really. I think I get a lot out of a belt, personally.
    This.

I personally love belts and can't imagine doing a max effort squat or deadlift without mine. If you do get one, make sure you get a decent one though (4 inches all the way round, not velcro).

ReputationRep:
    Recommend any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohmzz)
    Recommend any?
    http://www.zuluglove.com/

I've got a Defcon Evo (double pronged) Zulu belt and I love it. I think a number of other regulars here have Zulu belts, too.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that if you wear a belt then your core will waste away and die. Dont do it OP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    http://www.zuluglove.com/

I've got a Defcon Evo (double pronged) Zulu belt and I love it. I think a number of other regulars here have Zulu belts, too.
    Yep I've got one of those too. Great belt IMO.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.