Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys!

Had my two top choices rejected, (heartbreak) and am now left with Brunel and UWE. The course at Brunel is Sociology and Media Studies (Joint Honours) whereas at UWE its Sociology with Psychology. (Single Honours) At the minute I'm a bit confused as to where I stand on this; I like both courses but admittedly UWE's modules are slightly more appealing. I should also mention that at Brunel I have the option of a placement (thin sandwich) whereas at UWE I don't. I liked UWE and Bristol a lot when I went to see it. How much better is Brunel going to be on a CV? Uxbridge isn't the nicest of places to spend 4 years! I'm a little torn as I feel like I should take Brunel because it's 'better', but I think I like UWE more. Any advice would be great.

Cheers very much guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oulander1)
    Hi Guys!

Had my two top choices rejected, (heartbreak) and am now left with Brunel and UWE. The course at Brunel is Sociology and Media Studies (Joint Honours) whereas at UWE its Sociology with Psychology. (Single Honours) At the minute I'm a bit confused as to where I stand on this; I like both courses but admittedly UWE's modules are slightly more appealing. I should also mention that at Brunel I have the option of a placement (thin sandwich) whereas at UWE I don't. I liked UWE and Bristol a lot when I went to see it. How much better is Brunel going to be on a CV? Uxbridge isn't the nicest of places to spend 4 years! I'm a little torn as I feel like I should take Brunel because it's 'better', but I think I like UWE more. Any advice would be great.

Cheers very much guys!
    DON'T go with what you feel is better, please go with your heart. You don't wanna be a drop-out like me (and if you reapply it'll be triple fees) so make sure the place of study, course and everything is right for you. Bristol UWE is wicked and it has a higher employment rate it is also about 5 times cheaper than living in the outskirts of london and has a more student feel (I'm not tryna sell it to you just the kind of truth aha)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice; do you know a lot about Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, where were your first two choices?

Atm, there seems to be a real stigma attached to anything with 'media studies' in the name, be wary of that.

The placement would be a big advantage mind, I must admit. I'm doing sociology with education next year and I'd love a years placement in something education related.

ReputationRep:
    Above Brunel and UWE I had Stirling and Royal Holloway. Really gutted about Stirling.

The placement thing does make a big difference, but it also means that I have to pay an extra years tuition. It's also a 'thin sandwich' so it's in 3 different periods, which I could potentially set up as an internship instead with UWE. Its tough atm. I think Bristol would be much more fun to be in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oulander1)
    Thanks for the advice; do you know a lot about Bristol?
    I have friends at both unis and I applied to UWE. The city seemed such a buzzing and upcoming place and will be a lot more 'fun' and 'happening' than where Brunel is situated (Uxbridge right) Bristol will be a lot cheaper too.
    If it offers you the placement/sandwich/internship scheme thing why are you even debating between the two? That's an excellent thing to be able to do, and a lot of people would love to have this opportunity but the unis just don't offer it!

ReputationRep:
    I really think you should choose UWE as that is the one you sound most keen on. UWE is a great place to study and reputation wise, there is not much difference between Brunel and UWE. Not top 5 institutions, but certainly far from being bad.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago, my two choices were between UWe and Brunel but for Business and in the end I went for UWE because it felt right for me. You can't just take into account what looks good on paper, you have to remember that you are living there for 3/4 years and if you don't like the environment you may find it hard to study there. I really didn't like the brunel campus the rooms reminded me of school, whereas UWE had lovely lecture halls, and a variety of rooms for group study etc. So I personally preferred UWE but you need to decide on what suits your needs, which one appeals to you more in terms of education, living, social life, support etc. You can book on individual open days if you are really stuck for choice, that might help you make up your mind if you haven't gone to see them already. Good Luck x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.