Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is your socio-economic background? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshgoldman)
    f***'s sakes, really?! That's ridiculous - I got type 3, have I got no hope of my application being successful? :confused:
    Yes. But it's not the only factor - also whether you're in care/what your GCSEs are/what the average GCSE for your school is/what your personal statement is like. But the only thing that takes in how disadvantaged your background is is the acorn postcode, from what I think. Check the website though, I am not an authorative source of information! You have more than a hope if you fulfil other criteria/have good gcses for your school.

ReputationRep:
    Type 10

Nothing about newspapers in my description though :/

ReputationRep:
    Type 12.

ReputationRep:
    Type 5 - accurate of the general area maybe but not at all of my family. Apparently we're supposed to have paid off the mortgage, own two first hand cars, have satellite TV, invest in stocks and shares (lmao), go on holiday many times a year work in professional/managerial jobs. Only bit of that which is true is that my dad is a software developer, I think that counts as professional?

Up until three years ago I lived in type 56, apparently. What a contrast! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Type 40 - post-industrial - young families.
    Degree = very low, children = very high, income = low.
    lots of betting/single parents/most jobs in construction - I'd say this is really accurate actually, for my area at least

ReputationRep:
    Type 2, I guess...

ReputationRep:
    Type 6. Couldn't be further away from the truth... Wealthy achievers (affluent greys) - Farming community... my ass. There isn't a farm within a 20-30 mile radius. As for "Wealthy achievers/affluent greys." That's hardly what comes to mind when I hear the mention of "Ilford"

I seem to have moved type 56 to type 27 to type 6... Didn't seem like it.

ReputationRep:
    Type 18 - We're young professional couples reading The Guardian and Independant on our commute to professional and office jobs

Increasingly they will use new technology such as telephone, PC and mobile phone for banking purposes.
    Lol :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be prosperous young professionals living in flats. These are known as type 16 in the ACORN classification and 1.03% of the UK's population live in this type.
    Neighbourhoods fitting this profile are found primarily in Inner London in Westminster, Camden, Islington, Haringey and Hackney as well as in Brighton, Bristol, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Meh

ReputationRep:
    Type 42, it's quite accurate.

ReputationRep:
    Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be mature families living in suburban semis. These are known as type 29 in the ACORN classification and 3.28% of the UK's population live in this type. Empty nesters and couples with older children give a firmly middle-aged feel to this type. Homes tend to be semi-detached and employment is more likely to be in office or clerical jobs. Many women work part-time now that their children are older or have left home. This supplements the family income, so earnings are above average. Over time these families have built up investments in ISAs, stocks and shares or in a savings account. Many have also paid off their mortgage, so have equity in their house. For financial transactions they are most comfortable with the face-to-face contact at a building society or bank branch, rather than using direct channels such as the Internet. The company pension is an important provision for the later years of these householders' lives. These people watch a lot of TV but also enjoy an occasional meal out in a restaurant. They have the money to take regular holidays, perhaps a winter sun break as well as a summer holiday. The Daily Express and Daily Mail are the most popular newspapers. Car ownership is above average with a mid-range family saloon a popular choice.

It's probably not a bad description of the area, but it's not a very accurate description of my family, who currently earn around the minimum wage (despite being self-employed). Our house is worth around £300,000, but my parents bought it around a decade ago for less than £100,000 because it was really run down and needed lots of work. Here's the description of where we lived before that:

Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be older people living in rented terraces. These are known as type 43 in the ACORN classification and 1.89% of the UK's population live in this type.Neighbourhoods fitting this profile are found predominantly in northern English towns such as Oldham, Salford, Liverpool, Huddersfield and Gateshead, as well as in Belfast and some towns in the south including Basildon.This type of postcode has a high proportion of older people, particularly those over 75, living in rented terraced housing. There are fewer families with young children in these neighbourhoods, although there are some single parents. Single person households are most common and many are pensioners. Most residents live in small terraced houses, with only two or three bedrooms. Some live in flats, mostly low rise purpose built. There is a higher proportion of residents renting compared to the UK as a whole. Many rent from private landlords but local authority and housing association property is also important. There is a high level of re-mortgaging among those who are buying their properties. Those in work tend to be shopworkers or are employed in manual and factory jobs. However, unemployment is 40% above the national average and long term illness 60% higher than the UK as a whole. Car ownership is low and public transport, cycling and walking tend to be the main modes of travel. Incomes are low and there is little scope for savings and investments. Take up of credit cards is low, but some find it hard to manage and levels of debt are above average relative to income. Leisure interests include angling, racing, bingo, watching cable TV, listening to music and going to the pub. Popular newspapers are the Daily Mirror, Daily Star, Daily Sport and The Sun.

ReputationRep:
    Type 39. Fairly accurate.

There are a fair amount of terraces.
    Used to be blue-collar, but now more office, clerical and some skilled workers.
    Lots of families.
    Mainly 3-bedroom houses.
    Most families have at least car.
    Most families (apart from mine) have holidays regularly in Europe.
    Cable TV is popular.

'39' does seem a bit low down though. I thought something like 'type 27' would be better. 39 seems slightly on the poorer side. My area is slightly on the richer half. My constituency voted conservative... if that is evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be wealthy mature professionals living in large houses. These are known as type 1 in the ACORN classification and 1.7% of the UK's population live in this type.

This type of postcode encompasses the most affluent people in the UK.

Radical.

ReputationRep:
    Type 39... description seems about right.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.