Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

shy guys - how are u meant to read them?! watch

heyyy i've known this guy for my whole life -litrally, we were childhood friends but then we moved apart (7 hrs away!) whenever I go to visit him, he sometimes stares, his friends have teased him like said my name and laughed saying to him shes here oooh are u getting all shy? look shes right over there etc etc. BUT whenever I would walk into rooms in his house and hes eating/sitting he would walk out.. his family love me and I talk ALOT but that cant be why he always leaves the room, he has no reason to hate me, I dont know if hes shy, he never speaks to me apart from one time, and when i was struggling picking things up he helped me, at which i got pissed off and walked off because he was being nice when he usually ignores me 24/7
    I've sat in his room all night and he sat there, I was waiting for someone, he sat there because he thought it'd be rude to go sleep while I'm sitting there he didnt look at me or try making conversation - NOTHING.

why could he be doing this?

ReputationRep:
    Give me a shout if you ever figure out the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Wow this is a new level of shyness. Really strange, his behaviour.

I think you need to find out more and speak to him about this behaviour before you can make assumptions and ask other people on this thing to make them too :/
    just speak to him!
    there is a possibility he may like you. but you don't know cause theres no solid evidence to prove that. you're being the shy one by not speaking to him! so say soemthing otherwise it will always jsut be awkward like this and even if he does feel anything for you too much time will have passed with you guys not speaking for him to do anything

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother their shy.

Go after real men like myself.

Unless you're unattractive.

In which case, keep working on the shy guys.

sounds like me although I'm not incapable of conversation, doubt you can "read" someone without them actually talking assumptions like that would probably never get him to open up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCrackMyselfUp)
    Don't bother their shy.

Go after real men like myself.

Unless you're unattractive.

In which case, keep working on the shy guys.
    Looks like someone is just after their own benefit here

OP this is not shyness. This is neglecting someone. I don't understand his strange attitude. Maybe talk to him and ask the reason for this behaviour? If he carried on like this, I think you shouldn't be bothered with him anymore and ignore him back. He probably wants to act like a loser

ReputationRep:
    Is this behaviour just with you? He speaks to other people? do you try and make conversation? how does he respond to that?

If he's not saying anything, there's three reasons. He dislikes you and does not want to talk to you (this is unlikely, he'd have brought it up with his family by now, and he seems to help you out eg picking things up, and he wouldn't want you coming round. You'd probably have had a major argument at some point as well!)
    next; he's uncomfortable around you. Is there anything in the past that could have caused this? have either of you ever expressed feelings for the other (or indeed unexpressed/suspected) or has something happened with a mutual friend/relative?
    The other option is he's conflicted. He wants to say something to you, but either is unsure how to or if he should, or in unsure what exactly he wants to say to you.

Him having feeling for you is an option, but I can't put much weight behind that without more details.

Beyond that, there's an issue which you're unaware about.

Easiest way to read someone is not to try and read them, but ask them. that only works if you ask sympathetically and in a concerned way though, if you confront them they close up and will tell you anything but the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Glasses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    heyyy i've known this guy for my whole life -litrally, we were childhood friends but then we moved apart (7 hrs away!) whenever I go to visit him, he sometimes stares, his friends have teased him like said my name and laughed saying to him shes here oooh are u getting all shy? look shes right over there etc etc. BUT whenever I would walk into rooms in his house and hes eating/sitting he would walk out.. his family love me and I talk ALOT but that cant be why he always leaves the room, he has no reason to hate me, I dont know if hes shy, he never speaks to me apart from one time, and when i was struggling picking things up he helped me, at which i got pissed off and walked off because he was being nice when he usually ignores me 24/7
    I've sat in his room all night and he sat there, I was waiting for someone, he sat there because he thought it'd be rude to go sleep while I'm sitting there he didnt look at me or try making conversation - NOTHING.

why could he be doing this?
    I'd say he probably likes you, but is too shy to say anything, because he doesnt want to start a conversation that ends up being crap, and looking stupid, and thus you not liking him back.

Some serious insight there

ReputationRep:
    Make the first move... I am exactly the same near girls i like .... and I will NEVER improve cos my confidence is really low :unsure::bricks:

Trust me, make the first move, talk to him etc...

Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Dey)
    Make the first move... I am exactly the same near girls i like

Go for it!
    Do you ever make the first move?

ReputationRep:
    Make the first move... I am exactly the same near girls i like

Go for it!
    douche bag

Forever trombone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kattt_452)
    Do you ever make the first move?
    Nope, Never. I'm that low on confidence.
    I literally shut myself off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewiseone)
    douche bag

Forever trombone
    I guess that's why you've got -3 rep and 5 warning points... being an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    If you like him, make the first move. its obvious he wont.. but i doubt he'd say no either..

ReputationRep:
    Nope, Never. I'm that low on confidence.
    I literally shut myself off...
    A guy I'm attracted to will hardly look at me, never mind speak to me. He's all from a distance, but move closer and nothing!

ReputationRep:
    Ask him

ReputationRep:
    just ask him if somethings bothering him, he might open up

ReputationRep:
    I'm a shy guy, until I've had alcohol.. So my answer would be.. Get him drunk

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.