Turn on thread page Beta

Benefit scam, is it worth it? watch

I have been given a tip by a bit of a dodgy mate of mine that I can fake disability by following a few procedures and it can be done sufficiently this way to claim disability benefits. He definitely knows what he is talking about as he says has done scams like this himself.

Me and him have always been very different. I was the good kid who went to uni and was always very sensible whereas he left school at the age of 16 and since has been involved in a lot of low level crime, never anything serious just a few minor scams and selling things illegally (not drugs). I know he is intelligent and I know him well enough to trust him that this scam will most probably be safe and I wont get caught, and i could really do with the extra money.

I know some people are going to say to me just get a job. The problem is I have quite bad social anxiety to the point where its obvious when I go for interviews or give in CVs that i'm probably too socially awkward to work for them in their eyes.

Do you think i should give this scam a go? Or is the risk not worth it for the tiny chance I may get caught and screw things up for myself.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it.

If your anxiety is that bad, see a GP - they'll give you tablets. Then go see a counsellor.

ReputationRep:
    You will probably get caught

You sound like me, some people go their whole lives getting caught

but knowing us the first day we do it we'd be in trouble

ReputationRep:
    No, don't claim fraudulently - it isn't worth it at all. See about getting help for the social anxiety, meds or therapy or something? Don't simply give up

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't be able to live with the thought of getting caught constantly looming over me... Would drive me crazy.

As for the anxiety the NHS CBT waiting list was was 11 months for me... Ended up going to a charity funded service. It might be worth looking for one local to you because it was tremendously helpful for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been given a tip by a bit of a dodgy mate of mine that I can fake disability by following a few procedures and it can be done sufficiently this way to claim disability benefits. He definitely knows what he is talking about as he says has done scams like this himself.

Me and him have always been very different. I was the good kid who went to uni and was always very sensible whereas he left school at the age of 16 and since has been involved in a lot of low level crime, never anything serious just a few minor scams and selling things illegally (not drugs). I know he is intelligent and I know him well enough to trust him that this scam will most probably be safe and I wont get caught, and i could really do with the extra money.

I know some people are going to say to me just get a job. The problem is I have quite bad social anxiety to the point where its obvious when I go for interviews or give in CVs that i'm probably too socially awkward to work for them in their eyes.

Do you think i should give this scam a go? Or is the risk not worth it for the tiny chance I may get caught and screw things up for myself.
    Do give it a go. You can always claim disability benefit up to the point where you actually get tested.

Then you can always call it off if you bottle it.

Go on. There's no harm in giving it ago, nobody can prove jack **** unless you get medically examined.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.