Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My dad is getting married on Friday, and I'm the best man. He's asked me to write a best man's speech, but I don't really know what to put in it. I've looked at templates online, but it's quite hard to find them, and they're all long speeches full of cringeworthy jokes, the sort of thing a best mate would say about his friend - not the sort of thing a 16 year old would be saying about his 40 year old father. It's quite a small wedding, only some family and a few friends are attending, so it's not like I'm going to be entertaining a large audience, so I want to keep it quite short and serious.

What is a person supposed to put in a best mans speech? I haven't been to many weddings in my lifetime. I don't even know what the speech is supposed to be about to be honest, and a bit of Googling hasn't helped me. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried asking your dad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dabest2500)
    Have you tried asking your dada?
    Yeah, he said he doesn't really know, just to congratulate them, but obviously I'm going to have to say a little more than that.

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap.
    How embarrassing.
    I put "dada" instead of "dad".

:eek::eek::eek:

ReputationRep:
    In my (limited) experience of weddings, Best Men tend to go on with a couple of stories, a joke or two and how they knew that the marriage was going to work, and so on. Describe the kind of guy your dad is, describe the kind of person he's marrying, say why they'll be a world-beating pair and then propose a toast.

You could lead with 'when I first met my dad, he came across as <such and such>.' Obviously I don't know your circumstances, but if it's appropriate, give him props for raising you and so on and really paint him as a good family man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    In my (limited) experience of weddings, Best Men tend to go on with a couple of stories, a joke or two and how they knew that the marriage was going to work, and so on. Describe the kind of guy your dad is, describe the kind of person he's marrying, say why they'll be a world-beating pair and then propose a toast.

You could lead with 'when I first met my dad, he came across as &lt;such and such&gt;.' Obviously I don't know your circumstances, but if it's appropriate, give him props for raising you and so on and really paint him as a good family man.
    Ok, thanks for that

Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I would make it funny, but that's just me. Like he said just congratulate him and thank him for being there and stuff

Eventually you'll think of something good

ReputationRep:
    i would follow a format of something like
    1) talk about when your dad first going out with his new wife...add in any amusing anecdote
    2) talk a bit about how they're a smashing couple
    3) say something about how good she's been to you and how you feel lucky to have her as a second mum or something (if appropriate)
    4) make a few jokes about your dads character and what she'll be putting up with from now on
    5) toast the happy couple and sit down

ReputationRep:
    You could lead with 'when I first met my dad, he came across as <such and such>.' Obviously I don't know your circumstances, but if it's appropriate, give him props for raising you and so on and really paint him as a good family man.
    What the? I'm guessing when he first met his dad, he was a babbling, dribbling baby!

"When I first met my dad, I was covered in blood, having just been born, but I always remember he seemed the genial fellow, standing there in the birthing room"

OP: Just write about what your dad means to you, why you're happy he is getting married and how he deserves a day of celebration when you think about the years he is unrecognised for all the good he brings to your family. Add some anecdotes about times he has really helped you and been a good dad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    What the? I'm guessing when he first met his dad, he was a babbling, dribbling baby!
    You think that was perhaps the effect I was going for?

ReputationRep:
    You think that was perhaps the effect I was going for?
    Surely the follow up phrase would have to be ironic, otherwise it just sounds a bit retarded like he got it off the internet without thinking if he says that then follows it with something normal and sincere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Surely the follow up phrase would have to be ironic, otherwise it just sounds a bit retarded like he got it off the internet without thinking if he says that then follows it with something normal and sincere!

Of course it's in the delivery, but that's a little bit difficult to communicate over the internet without ruining the joke a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Be nice about the bride's family.

ReputationRep:
    crack a few jokes at the expense of your dad, but don't go over the top and make sure to compliment him sincerely as well, make a joke about your dad's fiancee looking attractive, and say nice stuff about the other family

ReputationRep:
    the newlyweds are gonna have a lovely time in north wales for their honeymoon..... what? he said he was going to bangor for two weeks!

yeh actually maybe not if it's your dad :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlieee_)
    the newlyweds are gonna have a lovely time in north wales for their honeymoon..... what? he said he was going to bangor for two weeks!

yeh actually maybe not if it's your dad :P
    :rofl:

Think I'll probably avoid jokes of that nature, if there's one thing I don't want to be thinking about it's my dad and his fiance... *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    This is a great chance to rip his a new ********* and get away with it

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much what everyone else said.

They're always full of (very slightly) amusing anecdotes that people have a polite laugh at. Think of something REALLY goofy he did sometime, and talk about that for a bit, and lead it on to saying 'but of course he was a really great dad...' etc. and you're really happy for him.

Talk about something that happened when your dad and his fiance got together, and turn it into a joke somehow.

As long as you say how great your dad is, and how great they'll be together and toast them, you're fine People will laugh politely however bad the speech is :P

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT talk about:
    - The stripper from last night
    - That booze filled night in Tijuana
    - That time you got kicked out of a brothel
    - etc.

You see a trend here?

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks for your replies everyone. I've pretty much done it now, just have to practice and hope I don't make a fool of myself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.