3.64%
    other
    2.18%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by darkxangel)
    Ok, time for explanation:

In the first group i chose girls with big eyes, innocent faces-basically naturally beautiful girls(which can be debated).
    In the second group I chose the girl-next-door-type girls, plain Janes (which again can be debated as different people have different opinions) who look amazing with make up,
    Third Group, all the girls were chosen on quirkiness - they portray unconventional beauty (I know I could have picked better candidates)
    Fourth group, 'modelesque' woman with stunning bone structure- tall, slim and beautiful.
    Fifth Group- big lips, catty eyes, - the girls are hot or sexy, not pretty 'pretty' (If you get what I mean).

Judging by the results: Group two is a clear winner for the guys, which shows that ordinary pretty girls are favoured over all other types. What I found surprising is that group 5 - the hot girls- are 4th place, I would've thought that they would come 2nd or even 1st. (might be because of the fact that only 2/3 were hot though, i should have chosen better pics). In contrast the girls picked 1, 2 and 3 about equally, which kind of shows that girls perception of beauty is more varied than guys. (sample size too small though)

Group 3 lost by a mile, which I don't find surprising since unconventional beauty is called unconventional for a reason. But more girls chose group 3 than boys, which again shows that girls have a wider spectrum in regards of what they find 'pretty'. About the same amount of girls and boys found group 4 to be the most attractive selection, which shows that these type of girls are found to be attractive by both genders. (jealous :sad:)

I'm sure someone else could interpret the results better than this. Anyway, this thread is kind of a fail, since the results are kind of skewed - as someone already stated:

Besides I should have picked girls who are more representative of the groups. I might try this experiment again in the future when everyone has forgotten about this.

Anyway, I'm sorry if you find the explanation stupid and unsatisfactory and don't ask for the reason why I would bother to make this thread.
    Intriguing :p:.

How on earth are Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley 'unconventional' beauty though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Intriguing :p:.

How on earth are Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley 'unconventional' beauty though?
    They are in group 4- the 'modelesque' girls , group 3 represents unconventional beauty-Chanel Iman, Maggie Q...

ReputationRep:

In the first group i chose girls with big eyes, innocent faces-basically naturally beautiful girls(which can be debated).
    In the second group I chose the girl-next-door-type girls, plain Janes (which again can be debated as different people have different opinions) who look amazing with make up,
    Third Group, all the girls were chosen on quirkiness - they portray unconventional beauty (I know I could have picked better candidates)
    Fourth group, 'modelesque' woman with stunning bone structure- tall, slim and beautiful.
    Fifth Group- big lips, catty eyes, - the girls are hot or sexy, not pretty 'pretty' (If you get what I mean).

Judging by the results: Group two is a clear winner for the guys, which shows that ordinary pretty girls are favoured over all other types. What I found surprising is that group 5 - the hot girls- are 4th place, I would've thought that they would come 2nd or even 1st. (might be because of the fact that only 2/3 were hot though, i should have chosen better pics). In contrast the girls picked 1, 2 and 3 about equally, which kind of shows that girls perception of beauty is more varied than guys. (sample size too small though)

Group 3 lost by a mile, which I don't find surprising since unconventional beauty is called unconventional for a reason. But more girls chose group 3 than boys, which again shows that girls have a wider spectrum in regards of what they find 'pretty'. About the same amount of girls and boys found group 4 to be the most attractive selection, which shows that these type of girls are found to be attractive by both genders. (jealous :sad:)

I'm sure someone else could interpret the results better than this. Anyway, this thread is kind of a fail, since the results are kind of skewed - as someone already stated:

Besides I should have picked girls who are more representative of the groups. I might try this experiment again in the future when everyone has forgotten about this.

Anyway, I'm sorry if you find the explanation stupid and unsatisfactory and don't ask for the reason why I would bother to make this thread.
    I tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me Very interesting
    One of the problems though is that girls you thought were 'hot' or 'girl next door' types may not be the same for everyone else. All the boys that picked group 2 might have thought that was the 'hot' group

I would have done the groups a bit differently I think

Also I agree with what someone else said, next time pick unknown people or lesser known celebrities. Lots of people might have picked group because they arguably had the most well known people in it.

ReputationRep:

Interesting! But then it's not every day you find Rihanna/Katy Perry/etc 'next door'
    It was a fun poll anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    I tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me Very interesting
    One of the problems though is that girls you thought were 'hot' or 'girl next door' types may not be the same for everyone else. All the boys that picked group 2 might have thought that was the 'hot' group

I would have done the groups a bit differently I think

Also I agree with what someone else said, next time pick unknown people or lesser known celebrities. Lots of people might have picked group because they arguably had the most well known people in it.
    I know, the thing I don't know that many models and it's always going to be subjective I guess. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stargazer23)
    Interesting! But then it's not every day you find Rihanna/Katy Perry/etc 'next door'
    It was a fun poll anyway
    The way they look now they are incredibly beautiful, but if they weren't famous and professionally made-up they would still look pretty, but nothing special.
    I adore both of them, but look:

ReputationRep:

Well it was close to being a very interesting thread. I do think you need to rethink your groupings though, and be careful only to show only faces, and either only famous people or no famous people at all to make it fairer.

ReputationRep:
    The way they look now they are incredibly beautiful, but if they weren't famous and professionally made-up they would still look pretty, but nothing special.
    I adore both of them, but look:
    I think the same can be applied to most of those women. Nobody looks permanently stunning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Well it was close to being a very interesting thread. I do think you need to rethink your groupings though, and be careful only to show only faces, and either only famous people or no famous people at all to make it fairer.
    Yeah, you have a point. I will do that if i chose to make another thread like this. :moon:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    They are in group 4- the 'modelesque' girls , group 3 represents unconventional beauty-Chanel Iman, Maggie Q...
    Aha, number reading fail xD

ReputationRep:
    Group 1 because of SJ <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aodhán)
    I think the same can be applied to most of those women. Nobody looks permanently stunning.
    Umm I think people like Jessica Alba look stunning even without make-up, hence why I put her in the first group. And Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley would look stunning even if they were bold thanks to their bone-structure...Group 2 is based on pretty girls-but not stunning girls. You might disagree with me, but this is honestly what i think. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Aha, number reading fail xD
    lol, it happens...

ReputationRep:
    x
    Interesting, but misleading poll. I voted in the girl section as I though it meant "group of girls 1,2 etc"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSingingMute)
    Interesting, but misleading poll. I voted in the girl section as I though it meant "group of girls 1,2 etc"
    I know, quite a few guys said that. I should have clarified.

ReputationRep:
    This is too trippy. Expanded the spoiler and was able to expand it again with loadsa pics!! What the?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agony Aunt)
    This is too trippy. Expanded the spoiler and was able to expand it again with loadsa pics!! What the?
    spoilers are only there if you can't decide based on what you see.

I'd have liked to mix and match. But.. group 1, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Too much time on your hands mate :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    Too much time on your hands mate :/
    urgh, actually i should be revising...:cool:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.