Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can someone pleeeeease help me out with questions 5c and 5e please? I've got no idea how to go about them. for e I just can't work out what the covariant gauge transformation would actually be... I think from then on I'd be ok.

Thanks
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Level 3 Theoretical Physics 04355101 and Level 4 Theoretical Physics 4 04419101.pdf (89.6 KB, 143 views)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I only got a C at gcse physics o.0 ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomer)
    Hi, can someone pleeeeease help me out with questions 5c and 5e please? I've got no idea how to go about them. for e I just can't work out what the covariant gauge transformation would actually be... I think from then on I'd be ok.

Thanks
    Do you know what the gauge transformations for \phi and \bold{A} are? You can generalise this to A^{\mu} using the four-gradient operator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    Do you know what the gauge transformations for \phi and \bold{A} are? You can generalise this to A^{\mu} using the four-gradient operator.
    Yeah I have A^{\mu} but I can't figure out how to get the covariant version.. because I know the sign of the grad bit will change, so if I try just subbing all the A^{\mu} for A{\mu} it doesn't work =/
    I'm just very confused. haha. I basically have the equation for the contravariant gauge transform but I need the covariant one..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have A^{\mu} but I can't figure out how to get the covariant version.. because I know the sign of the grad bit will change, so if I try just subbing all the A^{\mu} for A{\mu} it doesn't work =/
    I'm just very confused. haha. I basically have the equation for the contravariant gauge transform but I need the covariant one..

You use the metric  \mathbf{g} to change between covariant and contravariant forms, i.e.

A_{\mu} = g_{\mu \nu}A^{\nu}

See here for more info

ReputationRep:
    It should stay the same I think. The time components stay the same going between co/contravariant, whilst the spatial components will change sign which should cancel with the sign change of grad

EDIT: Actually I've just read through the question again, and I don't think it wants the gauge transformation of  A_{\mu}. When it says "in covariant form", I'm pretty sure this means that it wants the transformation to be Lorentz covariant ie a tensor equation, rather than wanting the transformation written in terms of covariant objects. See here for more details on the usage of covariant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.