Turn on thread page Beta

Does being Gay disadvantage you if you want to go into management consulting? watch

ReputationRep:
    This is a serious question. If you're Gay will this effect your chances in this career? I know there are laws to stop discrimination etc. but you never know how, older, more senior people will react to you, and a white haired parter taking a dislike to you can't be good for your prospects. Has anyone got any experience with this, i.e. are gay or know people who are gay with whom them work? Any advice is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to tell people you're gay if you don't want to. Your personal life is well... personal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HK11)
    This is a serious question. If you're Gay will this effect your chances in this career? I know there are laws to stop discrimination etc. but you never know how, older, more senior people will react to you, and a white haired parter taking a dislike to you can't be good for your prospects. Has anyone got any experience with this, i.e. are gay or know people who are gay with whom them work? Any advice is appreciated.
    Is it obvious to people that you're gay? As someone else said, you don't necessarily have to tell your clients that you're gay, your private life is exactly that, private.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    Is it obvious to people that you're gay? As someone else said, you don't necessarily have to tell your clients that you're gay, your private life is exactly that, private.
    It's not obvious, people don't usually know until I tell them. But it will come up eventually, when someone asks if I have a girlfriend I don't exactly want to have to lie, this is the 21st Century.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it shouldn't affect your prospects. Unless you go to the interview dressed like this...
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Unless they are fundamentally religious, then you should be fine. Most well-educated people aren't homophobic, and won't risk being homophobic at work in case anti-discrimination legislation is invoked.

ReputationRep:
    "Does being Gay disadvantage you if..." Woah, let me stop you there. Being gay doesn't disadvantage you at anything. (Unless of course, you are in a country where being gay is punishable by death, but hey. Who needs those countries anyway?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HK11)
    It's not obvious, people don't usually know until I tell them. But it will come up eventually, when someone asks if I have a girlfriend I don't exactly want to have to lie, this is the 21st Century.
    I'm not saying you should lie, you shouldn't be ashamed of being gay, but in a professional environment, your personal life is your own and it shouldn't be the forefront of your relationship with the client. Frankly, I can't imagine many people who after getting to know you, would suddenly decide to have a grudge on you because you're gay. As you've said it's the 21st century, yes there are homophobes out there, many of which are probably older people, but in business if someone wants you for their skills your personal life won't matter to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HK11)

No, not at all. Consulting is a remarkably progressive industry (generally speaking). Some of the bigger consulting firms actually have LGBT networks. I know for a fact that McKinsey does (you can look up LGBT at McKinsey on their website), and many others do as well.

That said, I'm sure it's a good idea not to advertise your personal life during recruitment or in front of clients, whether you are gay OR straight.

ReputationRep:
    only if your interviewer is male......and you try to rape him during the interview.....

otherwise not one bit

Of course it doesn't matter! Be proud of who you are and don't let it effect your work. Efficiently isn't judged on who your attracted to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maturestudy)
    Obviously it shouldn't affect your prospects. Unless you go to the interview dressed like this...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's Christopher Street Day in Germany <3

Why did I get a neg. rep? The Picture is of Christopher Street Day (look at the sash)!

Another neg. rep. Ya'll should leave comments instead of giving me thumb-downs ><

Omg, a third neg. rep.... One of these days I'm going to post something on TSR that doesn't get negged :/ (*points to red bar above*) :dontknow:

Bite me -.-

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't... your personal life is personal. You don't have to tell anyone that you're gay.

ReputationRep:
    The guy isn't asking SHOULD it affect his career - of course it shouldn't. He's asking about the reality; that is, WILL it affect his career?

To be honest, my dad used to be one of those older generation borderline homophobes, but i'm pleased to say that his attitudes have changed a lot, as have the attitudes of executive types in general in my experience.

And the good news is, things are very likely to continue progressing in a positive way. Like previous posters have said until your sexuality comes up there's no need to let everyone know just as if you were straight, bi, whatever. But I wouldn't be afraid to mention you were gay.

Regardless, saying 'of course it wont affect your career be yourself!' etc etc is all well and good but it's not the reality, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Some individual companies maybe. In management consultancy, if you check Stonewalls list of accredited companies, those who strive for diverse employees, then that could give you an inclination that most companies would want LGBT, other minority groups in their workforce. (to make them look good in league tables and so on)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshalos)
    "Does being Gay disadvantage you if..." Woah, let me stop you there. Being gay doesn't disadvantage you at anything. (Unless of course, you are in a country where being gay is punishable by death, but hey. Who needs those countries anyway?)
    True. In theory...

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, OP, the law is on your side.

ReputationRep:
    only if you pull your **** out and start shouting "willy banjo"

ReputationRep:
    You say its not obvious that you're gay but you think it will come out eventually... ie. after you've already got the job? What should it matter then with regards to affecting your career in a negative way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjcw20)
    You say its not obvious that you're gay but you think it will come out eventually... ie. after you've already got the job? What should it matter then with regards to affecting your career in a negative way?
    I think they mean it will affect promotion chances

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.