Turn on thread page Beta

Buying my first car- is this worth looking at? watch

ReputationRep:
    I found an ad for a V-reg Ford Ka (1999) for £350, 75,000 miles on the clock. Tax is due to renew in July, MOT next year. I'm basically looking for a car to run into the ground for a year or so, just so I can drive really. I checked with admiral, and they'll insure it for about £1100, third party, fire and theft.

Should I be worried at £350? What kind of things should I check for?

Thanks for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure it has 4 wheels and an engine... oh how my friends laughed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    I found an ad for a V-reg Ford Ka (1999) for £350, 75,000 miles on the clock. Tax is due to renew in July, MOT next year. I'm basically looking for a car to run into the ground for a year or so, just so I can drive really. I checked with admiral, and they'll insure it for about £1100, third party, fire and theft.

Thanks for any advice.
    Low miles for the year which is a plus point.
    Check for rust - the main areas to look are all along the sills and around the petrol filler cap. If you find rust, use it to drive the price down a little bit since you're not that bothered about getting it through an MOT next year.
    Check and make sure the brakes work and don't pull to one side or the other and that the clutch isn't too high. Check the colour of all the fluids. Make sure theres plenty of life left in the tyres and that it tracks nice and straight.

Don't forget, scrap is about £130 per ton so really the car will only owe you about £200 if you deal full up by the time you get your money once you weigh it in.

If it's mechanically sound go for it - don't worry too much if it's a bit challenged cosmetically. At this sort of money you just want the car to be sound for 12 months.

-JC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Low miles for the year which is a plus point.
    Check for rust - the main areas to look are all along the sills and around the petrol filler cap. If you find rust, use it to drive the price down a little bit since you're not that bothered about getting it through an MOT next year.
    Check and make sure the brakes work and don't pull to one side or the other and that the clutch isn't too high. Check the colour of all the fluids. Make sure theres plenty of life left in the tyres and that it tracks nice and straight.

Don't forget, scrap is about £130 per ton so really the car will only owe you about £200 if you deal full up by the time you get your money once you weigh it in.

If it's mechanically sound go for it - don't worry too much if it's a bit challenged cosmetically. At this sort of money you just want the car to be sound for 12 months.

-JC.
    Thank you! On checking the fluids, am I right in thinking the engine oil is meant to be a golden colour with nothing in it?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! On checking the fluids, am I right in thinking the engine oil is meant to be a golden colour with nothing in it?

Unless they have changed the oil literally just before you arrived the oil will be very dark colour, the blacker the older but it's a thing which is very hard/impossible to tell.

Unless you have it reliably when the oil was changed just before do an oil change straight after you buy.

Remember, it's a buyers market at the moment.

Oh and taking a magnet is useful for checking for rust which has been covered up by underseal.

ReputationRep:
    It starts life a honey colour and eventually ends up black. Just check the oil level. The lighter the colour of the oil the better really.

Whip the oil filler cap off and check for a mayonaise like substance. Also check the coolant to make sure there's just coolant in there and no oil.

At the price you are paying you have to be prepared to accept that it's not a new car and if in 12 months time it does get through an MOT without spending too much on it, you've done very well.

If you're working on the theory that you're going to run it into the ground, just make sure you check the fluid levels every week and top up where neccesary. I would forget about the preventative maintainence that you normally do to a car. Ultimately, you're just abusing it until you kill it.

-JC.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Thanks for any advice.
    Its worth a look.
    Check for rust though, ka's are mega bad for it.
    It might be me, but that does seem a bit too cheap though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Its worth a look.
    Check for rust though, ka's are mega bad for it.
    It might be me, but that does seem a bit too cheap though.
    This months black book suggests the price of a '99 KA on an S plate with 40k on the clock should be £500 clean, £310 average or £190 rough.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.