Turn on thread page Beta

Heart Palpitations watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, a couple of years ago I started getting skipped beats quite often, for various reasons I couldn't get to a doctor for 2 months and so I ended up getting really stressed and this made them worse. I don't know what came first, the stress or the palpitations. I ended up having a panic attack and could barely sleep as I was convinced I would die in my sleep. I eventually made it to the doctors, had one of those 24 hour heart monitor things and was told I had quite a few ectopic beats but that these were harmless and nothing to worry about.

I kept on getting palpitations but I was now not worried about them and so they weren't really a nuisance as I wasn't getting the associated panic and rapid heart beat resulting from an adrenaline rush.

But lately they have been feeling different. They don't feel like skipped beats really they feel like my heart is having some kind of fit. They usually happen in 2s although I couldn't really count because they don't feel like typical beats just like a spasm. Today I had around 4 then one normal beat then 3 again. It really really panicked me! I haven't had anything like that before and I honestly thought I was going to have to walk myself to the ER because it wasn't going to stop. However it did and I was just left a little shaken. Also my heart will beat fast for extended periods of time (between 15 mins and 45 mins) under 'acceptably' stressful situations where it would be expected that my heart would be beating faster I can usually slow it down but breathing in a certain way or just rationalising it out but when it beats fast for no reason I just can't get it to stop!

It's around 2 hours later now and I still feel shaky. I'm just really aware of my heartbeat in the way I was two years ago. I think it's probably caused by stress. I don't think it's a coincidence that this has all started again in the run up to exams when I am worrying and I've been working quite long hours and not sleeping well too which I'm sure doesn't help. But surely it isn't normal for my heart to react this way as soon as I'm under stress?

Obviously I'm going to go to the doctor ASAP but I just need some way to calm myself down in the meantime and not work myself up and end up giving myself more palpitations so any suggestions appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,

First of all let me tell you I was in the exact situation as you were last year .Had my exams , comming up and one day these palpitations came out of nowhere .First I ignored them , but it got worse and worse , to the point I had to ring an ambulance ,where I thought I was having a heart attack (which infact was a panic attack) .I had the 24hr monitor done and EKG done ,and said everything was normal with my heart.

So what I suggest you do is this:

First of all , 99.99% of the time , you have nothing wrong with your heart .These beats you have ,are as silly as you sneeze or cough . But because it is your heart , everyone gets worried , and anxiety creeps in . So relax , get enough sleep , and dont take lots of caffeine (whic can cause them). I stil have them , although I have had them hundreds of time , you get caught out suddenly , but just remeber there should be nothing wrong with your heart .And dont think about it ,keep your mind occcupied ..

So go to the doctor ,ask him for EKG ,ECG done just to put your mind at rest ..And I assure you the results are going to be the same as mine .Also , I have them when I am at rest or when my heart rate is slowing down ,is that the case for you?
    Feel free to ask any questions

and here is a link from a professional , if you dont believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    Hi ,

First of all let me tell you I was in the exact situation as you were last year .Had my exams , comming up and one day these palpitations came out of nowhere .First I ignored them , but it got worse and worse , to the point I had to ring an ambulance ,where I thought I was having a heart attack (which infact was a panic attack) .I had the 24hr monitor done and EKG done ,and said everything was normal with my heart.

So what I suggest you do is this:

First of all , 99.99% of the time , you have nothing wrong with your heart .These beats you have ,are as silly as you sneeze or cough . But because it is your heart , everyone gets worried , and anxiety creeps in . So relax , get enough sleep , and dont take lots of caffeine (whic can cause them). I stil have them , although I have had them hundreds of time , you get caught out suddenly , but just remeber there should be nothing wrong with your heart .And dont think about it ,keep your mind occcupied ..

So go to the doctor ,ask him for EKG ,ECG done just to put your mind at rest ..And I assure you the results are going to be the same as mine .Also , I have them when I am at rest or when my heart rate is slowing down ,is that the case for you?
    Feel free to ask any questions

and here is a link from a professional , if you dont believe me.
    Thanks for the reply. I know, I keep telling myself it's nothing and that I've had weird heartbeats for years now and I'm still alive so it can't be that dangerous, it's just scary because the heart is so important!

I know I'll feel loads better once I have some tests and the doctor tells me I'm fine and it's nothing to worry about, just like last time. It has slowly been getting more over these few months so I have no intention of leaving to build up like last time.

I do get them at rest. I was just sitting in the library today reading when I got them all in a row which was why it worried me so much because I felt totally calm just prior to them and it just caught me by surprise. I have also been drinking lots of caffeine which I know it bad but lack of sleep plus needing to revise means lots of caffeine is needed! I had cut it out completely for a year after I had the palpitations last time and honestly felt a lot better during that time all round so I think I'm going to try and wean myself off it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying twig)
    Thanks for the reply. I know, I keep telling myself it's nothing and that I've had weird heartbeats for years now and I'm still alive so it can't be that dangerous, it's just scary because the heart is so important!

I know I'll feel loads better once I have some tests and the doctor tells me I'm fine and it's nothing to worry about, just like last time. It has slowly been getting more over these few months so I have no intention of leaving to build up like last time.

I do get them at rest. I was just sitting in the library today reading when I got them all in a row which was why it worried me so much because I felt totally calm just prior to them and it just caught me by surprise. I have also been drinking lots of caffeine which I know it bad but lack of sleep plus needing to revise means lots of caffeine is needed! I had cut it out completely for a year after I had the palpitations last time and honestly felt a lot better during that time all round so I think I'm going to try and wean myself off it again.
    Good Luck :top:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.