Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    what experimental techniques do we need to know guys??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How do you do shell orbitals for things like thallium. I know the end but 6p1 but dont know how the do the bit just before it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41jms)
    sheeeeeeeeet do we need to know this?
    Its in the chemical storylines and is designated in the revision guide as a part we need to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Rainbow*)
    How do you do shell orbitals for things like thallium. I know the end but 6p1 but dont know how the do the bit just before it
    You only need to know the full electron orbitals up to Z=35 according to the syllabus thing I have.

I guess they might ask you outer shell electrons though, but where you can relate it to the s p d sub-shell structure.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AGM)
    You only need to know the full electron orbitals up to Z=35 according to the syllabus thing I have.

I guess they might ask you outer shell electrons though, but where you can relate it to the s p d sub-shell structure.
    Thanks - Yeah i think we can deduce it from the patterns

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGM)

Well they say. The F332 exam asked you to draw out the electronic configuration of Iodine. Not a stretch bit still...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Btw does anyone know whether we still do born-harber cycles in this new spec?

ReputationRep:
    We've not ben taught it.

Although If you were asked for thallium I'd just put [Xe] 6S2 6P1

Although I think for thallium you end up with d and f orbitals in there somewhere, so I'm not sure.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Well they say. The F332 exam asked you to draw out the electronic configuration of Iodine. Not a stretch bit still...
    I really really reaaaallly vehemenently despise this exam board!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so/ I really really hope not as I haven't been taught it.

ReputationRep:
    I was told no. And I've read through an annotated spec a few times, and it's not on there, unless they go under different names.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by limetang)
    We've not ben taught it.

Although If you were asked for thallium I'd just put [Xe] 6S2 6P1

Although I think for thallium you end up with d and f orbitals in there somewhere, so I'm not sure.

Do you mean [Tl] 6s2 6p1 ? Confused.. but yeah if you meant this i get you
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    haha I think I'd probably start crying -this exam's so tough

(Original post by Glennith)
    I was told no. And I've read through an annotated spec a few times, and it's not on there, unless they go under different names.
    That's a relief!

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean [Tl] 6s2 6p1 ? Confused.. but yeah if you meant this i get you
    No [Xe] as in the electronic configuration for Xenon with those shells added to it (if that makes sense). It's just a form of shorthand.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No [Xe] as in the electronic configuration for Xenon with those shells added to it (if that makes sense). It's just a form of shorthand.
    Uh-oh should I be scared that I have never heard of this before.. can you please try to explain this if possible?

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing past papers and theres been a few questions....
    It's also in the salters revision book... It's only N2 + 3H2 = 2NH3 :]

ReputationRep:
    definitely forgotten to revise a topic somewhere.
    Ah well, Most important exam of life tomorrow.

Bring it on.

Goodluck, Goodnight, and godbless.

:crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    what is a mordant?

ReputationRep:
    I'm good now with all of the Kw, Ka, Kg, Klol etc calculations. However I'm still struggling to get buffers. I understand that they maintain a constant pH with the addition of acid or Alkali, but I'm struggling to see how.

Some reasons why I'm confused.

|Does every buffer contain a Weak Acid/Conjugate Acid AND a Weak Base/Conjugate Base working together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conor 419)
    I'm good now with all of the Kw, Ka, Kg, Klol etc calculations. However I'm still struggling to get buffers. I understand that they maintain a constant pH with the addition of acid or Alkali, but I'm struggling to see how.

Some reasons why I'm confused.

|Does every buffer contain a Weak Acid/Conjugate Acid AND a Weak Base/Conjugate Base working together?
    A buffer is a a mixture of EITHER a weak acid and its conjugate base, OR a weak base and its conjugate acid.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.