Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeh, the 5/4 marks questions were ok, AS stuff.. easy.. I did manage to mess up that whole page on SF6 :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom108)
    Nah, they're was the kekulee structrue and alkene in all of them.
    The one they were asking about definitely had a delocalised benzene ring, not kekule structure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    The answer was (secondary) Amine nothing else.. not alkene or benzene.
    there was a ring structure which was 5 sides (not benzene which has 6 sides) so i think alkene could be correct, but i dunno

btw do u have the markscheme? or r u just 100% sure lol

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone upload the question paper if they have it please.
    Thx

ReputationRep:
    I put alkene - there was only one double bond and I thought it needed 3 to be representing benzene

ReputationRep:
    oh guys it was only one mark after all

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh i need to get off this and revise ! looooooool

ReputationRep:
    wierd how in chemistry they started talking about auxins and herbicides and farmers.....

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm, anybody fancy joining on a trip to the ocr buidling to spread faeces on it to show our disgust at this exam ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peri93)
    wierd how in chemistry they started talking about auxins and herbicides and farmers.....
    there was abit about herbicides in the argriculture by design or whatever in the storylines, nothing about auxins though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paolat)
    Ahhh i need to get off this and revise ! looooooool
    Agreed. :']

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Housdenerr)
    hmmmm, anybody fancy joining on a trip to the ocr buidling to spread faeces on it to show our disgust at this exam ?
    i'm up for that mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    The answer was (secondary) Amine nothing else.. not alkene or benzene.
    hey thanks veru much for the provisional markschemes you've done, theyre really helpful and have reassured me a bit

can i just ask how many BIG quetions there were and how much you have left to do?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it really matters what 'situation' the chemistry was applied to tbh.
    Yeah, they chose auxins, rather than say paracetamol, but I really don't see how that makes any difference?
    In one of the past papers, it was all about retinal, which is in our eyes right? It's the same chemistry principles, applying it to biology doesn't really change anything, well in my opinion at least..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    I don't think it really matters what 'situation' the chemistry was applied to tbh.
    Yeah, they chose auxins, rather than say paracetamol, but I really don't see how that makes any difference?
    In one of the past papers, it was all about retinal, which is in our eyes right? It's the same chemistry principles, applying it to biology doesn't really change anything, well in my opinion at least..
    It's true... people moan about hedgehogs, sea-weed eating sheep and auxins but the general knowledge needed is going to be the same whatever example they use.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm guessing noone else noticed that the NMR spectrum of TE bromine molecule was wrong?

One of the peaks corresponded to a proton attached to an alkene environment, my entire year noticed it & the head of chemistry?

***** of a paper though, at one point k was physically shaking so much I couldn't write... & imagining my life as a binman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenl93)
    So I'm guessing noone else noticed that the NMR spectrum of TE bromine molecule was wrong?

One of the peaks corresponded to a proton attached to an alkene environment, my entire year noticed it & the head of chemistry?

***** of a paper though, at one point k was physically shaking so much I couldn't write... & imagining my life as a binman
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't a mistake; after their D1 debacle, they'd have been checking everything! It's probably due to the halogen atoms changing it. And how does your HOC get to see the paper? No-one's allowed it till the day after?

ReputationRep:

It's true the chemical shifts didn't match up to the ones in the data sheet.

The thing is the question usually says "refer to the data sheet" if it wants you to.

The position of all the protons and hence the complete structure could be deduced just by looking at the number of peaks (e.g. quartet and doublet) and the relative area (3 and 1) under them. It was only 4 marks as well and a couple were from explaining what split peaks are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jungdao)
    It's true the chemical shifts didn't match up to the ones in the data sheet.

The thing is the question usually says "refer to the data sheet" if it wants you to.

The position of all the protons and hence the complete structure could be deduced just by looking at the number of peaks (e.g. quartet and doublet) and the relative area (3 and 1) under them. It was only 4 marks as well and a couple were from explaining what split peaks are.
    it didn't ask about chemical shift it said refer to peaks and the splitting x

ReputationRep:

I thought that... It didn't correspond to the C-Br bond and was nowhere near C- H....
    It seemed wrong! :|

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 10, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.