The Student Room Group

OCR B Salters - F335 Exam - 15 June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by tom108
I thought they were asking convert ethene to ethandioic acid?

That is also correct isnt it ?

Nope not ethene, it was from, 1,2dibromo ethane to ethanedioic acid.
Reply 941
Original post by feelbetter
Looking at all the answers from ManPowa I've definately lost 21 marks minimum (probably quite a bit more). I was hoping maybe for an a*, that's out of the window. The exam was awful and some mistakes i made were ridiculous, for example, i did the electron configuration of Sulfur using it's Ar. I revised a lot aswell.Hmph.

It was a lot of synoptic stuff. Like electron shell diagrams & bond angles. Come on?

I think that it was bad on OCR's part that F335 was before F334... I feel that if they were the other way round, I would have done better :'D
Reply 942
Original post by ManPowa
Nope not ethene, it was from, 1,2dibromo ethane to ethanedioic acid.

Awesome, i just gained 2 marks :smile:
Original post by SarahTM
It was a lot of synoptic stuff. Like electron shell diagrams & bond angles. Come on?

I think that it was bad on OCR's part that F335 was before F334... I feel that if they were the other way round, I would have done better :'D

:frown: Yup, I did the jan 11 paper 2 days before the exam under exam conditions and managed 92 marks, it was a lot easier than this, but yeah, it's strange having it in reverse order, I'm resitting f334 after having done it in january aswell.I didn't expect it to be so synoptic, I revised every single reaction, from the past 2 years and there was a tiny question on it and my teacher said their shouldn't be much synopticity apart from that and mechanisms, which i thought would be true looking at the jan 11 and jun 10 paper, clearly not :frown:
Reply 944
Original post by feelbetter
:frown: Yup, I did the jan 11 paper 2 days before the exam under exam conditions and managed 92 marks, it was a lot easier than this, but yeah, it's strange having it in reverse order, I'm resitting f334 after having done it in january aswell.I didn't expect it to be so synoptic, I revised every single reaction, from the past 2 years and there was a tiny question on it and my teacher said their shouldn't be much synopticity apart from that and mechanisms, which i thought would be true looking at the jan 11 and jun 10 paper, clearly not :frown:

We didn't get the chance to sit it in Jan... Our college decided that we wouldn't cope with that and the investigation :'D
I did all the past papers from 2007 onwards, and I thought I was so prepared :frown:
Reply 945
What do people think for the marks then?
I mean like the grade boundaries for A,B and C.
83/75/68 I reckon
Reply 947
Original post by DHolland93
83/75/68 I reckon

Hmm, id say a bit higher than that (sadily) :frown:

86/78/71. It wasnt a 'solid' paper
Reply 948
Original post by tom108
Hmm, id say a bit higher than that (sadily) :frown:

86/78/71. It wasnt a 'solid' paper

But that would mean it being rated the easiest paper of the last 3.. which I really don't think it was.
Reply 949
Original post by goodezy12
But that would mean it being rated the easiest paper of the last 3.. which I really don't think it was.

trueee
Reply 950
Original post by ManPowa
Question 5 - 27 marks

HPO42- Hydrogen phospahe(V) with phoshorus being +5

Conjugate acid : H3Po4

Ka = products - reactants

Ph = 4.10

Buffer solution and why important in human cells:
Buffer solutions are solutions that main a constant PH on addition of a small amount of acid or alkali. Consists of a weak acid and its base and a weak base and one of its acid. Important in cells, as PH affects enzymes, thus it is vital a buffer soltion is in place, to keeps enzymes constant

Explain what the buffer solution does on addition of acid:
Moves to the left to absorb the acid. (2 marks - what else???)

Ph of a buffer solution: 10... something lol

Mass of solid NaH2Po4: (4 marks)

Why 7.4cm3 of NaOh was required: there was 15.0cm of Nah2po4 - to reach the end point, 2 moles of Naoh of 7.5cm3 was required

Error in the students argument: ??/

Enthalpy diagram:
exothermic reaction -
top lines - gaseous ions
then enthalp of hydration
and then arrow down for exothermic and thus enthalpy of solution as the reaction was negative.

Think you had to say 'equilbrium position' moves to the left to countreact the change in concentration of H+ ions and that the concentration of the conjugate base (forgot what it is) is much larger than the concentration change which makes sure the pH is virtually unchanged.

Im not sure if I got the error in the students argument right :s-smilie:. Said something about the fact he didn't take into account the concentration of H+ of the water. Its probably wrong though.
Reply 951
Hi, I'm new to this whole forum thing, I just wanted to say that I re-sat chemistry of natural resources this year and I think it gave me unfair advantage due to all the synopticity in the paper. I was thinking this was rather unfair and wondered if anyone else who re-sat CONR this year found it - OK. Cheers
Reply 952
Original post by Itsgill1
Hi, I'm new to this whole forum thing, I just wanted to say that I re-sat chemistry of natural resources this year and I think it gave me unfair advantage due to all the synopticity in the paper. I was thinking this was rather unfair and wondered if anyone else who re-sat CONR this year found it - OK. Cheers

Hi, and welcome to TSR! :smile:
I resat Chemistry for Life and felt that I was at an advantage with the shapes of molecule stuff ... But it wasnt the whole paper only about 5 marks so... :|
Reply 953
I was also wondering if anyone knew what the oxidation question was I think I put that sulfur was both oxidised and reduced but this is probably wrong, any help?
Reply 954
Original post by Itsgill1
I was also wondering if anyone knew what the oxidation question was I think I put that sulfur was both oxidised and reduced but this is probably wrong, any help?

You're right!

It was oxidised from 0 to 4 and reduced from 0 to -2

4 marks in the bag :wink:
When drawing the salt formed with the amine and it accepted the proton how many marks would I have lost from drawing the COO- ion then putting a + NH3+ blah blah. Basically I didn't draw them next to each other..
Reply 956
Original post by Tetanus
You're right!

It was oxidised from 0 to 4 and reduced from 0 to -2

4 marks in the bag :wink:

What a pleasing revelation, thanks :biggrin:
Reply 957
Looking back at some of the answers, it seems people put varying answers for the SF6 question; therefore, a quick question...
I put the latter (SF6 Possible structure/picture on the right without the bond angles) in my exam, when the correct answer was the one on the left/(bond angles).

Aren't they the same? or would the examiners be wanting the one on the left? :confused:

Thanks in advance. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 958
Why was SF6 a gas room temp but hexanedioic acid is a solid (it was a 4 marker)??
Original post by ManPowa
Why was SF6 a gas room temp but hexanedioic acid is a solid (it was a 4 marker)??

SF6 could only form id id bonds between its molecules which are weak and take little heat energy to overcome. Hexanedioic acid can form much stronger hydrogen bonds between its molecules which require more heat energy to overcome. Also its a straighter shape so the molecules can pack more closely together so the bonds are stronger.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending