Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm so stressed about the organic toolkit.

Seriously. I can barely remember it, at all. I could probably scrape through if asked about synthesis of halogenoalkanes/primary alcohols/secondary/tertiary, aldehydes, ketones, and -COOH and esters.

Amides/amines AND all the benzene reaction conditions can go suck a ****.

What are the things that people are finding hardest to revise for? I'm struggling with being able to bash out azo dye synthesis :/

FML.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesrb)
    So who has memorised all of the organic toolkit? Also, how did you do it?!
    I copied out the reactions from the revision guide. and split them into batches of four.
    From friday, I did 8 everyday, spending an hour each day on the organic reactions... now I can recite them like a poem . So you could possible cram all of it by wednesday. but I would focus on the arene ones and esters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCDemily)
    I'm so stressed about the organic toolkit.

Seriously. I can barely remember it, at all. I could probably scrape through if asked about synthesis of halogenoalkanes/primary alcohols/secondary/tertiary, aldehydes, ketones, and -COOH and esters.

Amides/amines AND all the benzene reaction conditions can go suck a ****.

What are the things that people are finding hardest to revise for? I'm struggling with being able to bash out azo dye synthesis :/

FML.
    same azo dyes screw me over EACH time grrrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkoki1993)
    I copied out the reactions from the revision guide. and split them into batches of four.
    From friday, I did 8 everyday, spending an hour each day on the organic reactions... now I can recite them like a poem . So you could possible cram all of it by wednesday. but I would focus on the arene ones and esters
    Well you're a better person than I am!

I've been focusing so fricking hard on biology, I haven't paid nearly enough attention here. Turns out I could have revised biology by watching countryfile, but that's another matter...

I'm going to just keep repeated all the reactions and conditions, and ram the arenes into my brain tomorrow.

I#m just so worried about this.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please post/give me a link for organic synthesis flow chart for alipathic compounds please for OCR B Salters. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    for the person that wanted all the answers to module tests and stuff :
    http://benjamin-mills.com/chemistry/sac/
    its for 2nd edition but most of the questions are the same.

Storylines URGH!

also for why are things coloured, I always put this and it seems to get all the marks when my teacher gives me papers back.

When light passes through a solution/substance, a photon of light may be absorbed. This photon of light carries the energy required to promote an electron from a lower to a higher energy level. This /\E (i dont know how to put those triangle things on the computer) has a corresponding frequency (as in the equation /\E = hv). if this frequency is in the visible region then the substance will appear coloured (the complementary to that which is absorbed). Different dyes can be differernt colours as modifier groups and changes in delocalistion can affect the /\E and therefore affects the colour.

Then adapt that to what the question is. ALso references to orbitals can be con (as im told) so dont put that in unless asked.

Im so screwed for wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god. How did you split them in to 4 batches?

ReputationRep:
    *Group hug*

Because I think we need one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCDemily)
    Well you're a better person than I am!

I've been focusing so fricking hard on biology, I haven't paid nearly enough attention here. Turns out I could have revised biology by watching countryfile, but that's another matter...

I'm going to just keep repeated all the reactions and conditions, and ram the arenes into my brain tomorrow.

I#m just so worried about this.
    do you do SNAB as well?

ReputationRep:
    Oh god. How did you split them in to 4 batches?
    wrote each reaction on a separate piece of card. and selected 8 to memorise. did 4 in the morning, 4 in the afternoon.
    the did all 8 together in the evening and I still remember them

ReputationRep:
    wrote each reaction on a separate piece of card. and selected 8 to memorise. did 4 in the morning, 4 in the afternoon.
    the did all 8 together in the evening and I still remember them
    Just random groups? I guess you split the aliphatic ones into two, and the aromatic ones into two?

ReputationRep:
    Im sooo scared, this paper is so synoptic KMT !

I just hope that question about why is a compound coloured comes up lol

ReputationRep:
    Just random groups? I guess you split the aliphatic ones into two, and the aromatic ones into two?
    completely random groups.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any chance someone could put these practice papers up? I'm pretty sure i haven't done them all.
    Thanks in advance.
    I don't think i have a hardest topic but i have drawbacks in all of them :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bajito)
    Is there any chance someone could put these practice papers up? I'm pretty sure i haven't done them all.
    Thanks in advance.
    I don't think i have a hardest topic but i have drawbacks in all of them :/
    oops my bad i think i just quoted something from 6 weeks ago ha

ReputationRep:
    A little question for you bright tsr'ers
    How would you properly define a conjugate base pair? Could you give me a little detail about them please, I seem to have a very small, confusing set of notes on them :/

ReputationRep:
    Jesus h christ.

I think i'm just worried that it's so close, but i'm stressing so bad! i can't afford to do badly on this exam!

ReputationRep:
    do you do SNAB as well?
    S...S...NAB?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this? ><

ReputationRep:
    guys could u just clear this up plz... what are the conditions u take into account when calculating pH of a weak acid and a buffer? also is the value of KA = to the value of hydrogen ions??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rei5)
    guys could u just clear this up plz... what are the conditions u take into account when calculating pH of a weak acid and a buffer? also is the value of KA = to the value of hydrogen ions??
    I don't think you need to really take any conditions into account. You only really need to with strong monoprotic acids, as you have to assume that all the H+ ions 'react'.

You need to assume that everything dissociates/reacts with everything else. ie, [HA] -> [H+] + [A-], and that there's nout left over.

IS THIS RIGHT OR AM I STUPID? I'm just trying to remain calm.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 10, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.