Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have my revalidation (test) for a first aider tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone's done it and what I should expect.

I was told to make stuff really obvious to the examiner such as when I walk into a room to say: 'I am looking for danger' whilst physically looking around etc

Any tips? Much appreciated, thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Don't worry about it too much, it is pretty easy.

Making stuff really obvious and saying what you are doing is a good piece of advice. Don't forget to talk to the patient and ask them questions. Don't forget the basics and usually the scenario is pretty simple.

Good luck, you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    Don't worry about it too much, it is pretty easy.

Making stuff really obvious and saying what you are doing is a good piece of advice. Don't forget to talk to the patient and ask them questions. Don't forget the basics and usually the scenario is pretty simple.

Good luck, you'll be fine
    Thanks, I'm a bit nervous about it. I don't know why though, they said you can do it as many times as you want on the same day to pass!

I hope I remember the basics like the recovery position and stuff
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tamii05)
    Thanks, I'm a bit nervous about it. I don't know why though, they said you can do it as many times as you want on the same day to pass!

I hope I remember the basics like the recovery position and stuff
    Have you got someone at home you can practice on first? Just to jog your memory?

Yes, usually if you fail they let you have another go.

Usually they ask you to treat a bleed, or treat a broken bong or make a sling.

Main thing to remember is to check for danger, get a response from the patient, try to work out what went happened, call an ambulance, do a bit of treatment. You don't even need to diagnose the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    Have you got someone at home you can practice on first? Just to jog your memory?

Yes, usually if you fail they let you have another go.

Usually they ask you to treat a bleed, or treat a broken bong or make a sling.

Main thing to remember is to check for danger, get a response from the patient, try to work out what went happened, call an ambulance, do a bit of treatment. You don't even need to diagnose the problem.
    Thanks, it does seem a lot easier when you put it like that! I'm pretty sure I'll be fine as long as I remember the main things.

And I tried practicing on my little brother but he didn't enjoy it much...

But they said we can practice if we arrive early so it'll be okay. Thanks for your advice
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tamii05)
    Thanks, it does seem a lot easier when you put it like that! I'm pretty sure I'll be fine as long as I remember the main things.

And I tried practicing on my little brother but he didn't enjoy it much...

But they said we can practice if we arrive early so it'll be okay. Thanks for your advice
    No problem . Most people pass, so don't worry about it! I'm sure you know your stuff anyway. You've had to do it before!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.