Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll be finishing up my psychology degree at Bath shortly and received conditional offers for an MSc in Management at LSE, Imperial and UCL.

I mentioned LSE and Imperial in the topic title as those are the two I'm most interested in.
    The issue is that although LSE obviously has the fantastic brand name reputation, it's a two year course, whereas Imperial is only one year.

I'm trying to ignore the financial aspect at the moment and focus on the pros and cons of both in terms of time versus value.

Is LSE worth the extra year?
    Before applying for the masters programmes, I initially wanted to go into management consulting but I had 13 graduate scheme applications rejected without making it to the next step (interviews, etc). I figured an MSc in Management from a top university would give me a huge boost.

I was hoping that there may be someone here with some knowledge about these programmes, or perhaps just some friendly advice.

Thanks!

Also, so damn HAPPY to have something to look forward to in the future!

ReputationRep:
    I am in a similar situation, as I have to make my mind among these schools. Not for the management program but a similar one.
    I think that for the business sector, LSE has the best brand them of the three.
    Imperial Business School is getting its reputation from Imperial brand name. I mean that i don't think IBS is a big worldwide brand name of itself.
    Also, UCL management department is relatively a new one. A good one but not very well established yet.
    I think that I will go for LSE, and I would advice you to do the same. Also, in 2 years you will achieve a better networking

ReputationRep:
    Still haven't decided but leaning towards LSE. The only issue will be financial. Obviously it's a massive investment but then again it's highly likely to pay dividends in the end.

ReputationRep:
    An extra year for the same MSc, in the eyes of almost all employers? Crazy! And more fees. Worst of all, it means the opportunity cost of a loss of year’s income and career capital .. and it is not the junior that is lost … it is the nth year, the 40th or 45th year that is lost. So from that point of view, this two year masters is hugely dear. One of the things that makes LSE great is is that it is highly efficient… one year should suffice, as it for almost all its masters, including several in management.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2014

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.