Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya =)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'm due to finish my national diploma in animal management at the end of may, and I'm looking to start sending out some letters enquiring about trainee nurse positions at practices near me, but i dont really have any idea where to start. I was never confident in writing letters to people and am not sure what to include.
    If anyone could throw me some tips or something i would be very greatfull.
    Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Have a look at www.apprenticeships.org.uk and you can have a look for vacancies in your area.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I sent letters to all the practices near me to try and get a trainee vet nurse place. There aren't any vacancies down here in Surrey at the moment so I'm going to college to do the same course you're doing. Hopefully then I'll have more experience and animal knowledge so I'll be in with a better chance. In my letters I wrote about my experience, how I would like to be a vet nurse, and asked them if they had a vacancy/may have one in the forseeable future & sent a copy of my CV. Most of the responses I got were very nice and they all said they'd keep my details on file. If you don't get anyone saying they have a vacancy, keep doing work experience round the practices in your area and if you impress them they may offer to take you on. Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    it is nigh impossible to find a trainee nursing vacancy, i sent out around 30 letters and got nothing back apart form work experience offers, which was brilliant nevertheless. i've had to go down the university route, more specifically the FdSc Veterinary Nursing at Myerscough which includes 17 weeks in placement in the first year, the entire second year, and 18 weeks in the third and you are qualified by the end of it with vast experience. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the process of applying for vet nursing courses at various colleges and I understand that finding a position at a Training Practice is super hard. Therefore I've been applying for full-time courses only, not work-based, where the colleges (allegedly) will organise the placements for students...... Can they be trusted? Is it likely that they get you a placement which is miles away from the school?

However, going down the TP route..... Do the Training Practices take people on board without any relevant qualifications/work experience? If you have to find a position at a Training Practice BEFORE you can even enrol on a vet nursing course, surely that means they have to take you on even if you don't have much/any previous experience? I have to admit this doesn't make sense to me; how do the Training Practices benefit from having a completely unexperienced/unqualified student hanging around? Are they just used for free labour? See, THAT would make sense......

Any help from vet nurse students would be appreciated!! I know it's a hideously badly paid job but hey, it's more about calling, isn't it.....? Are there many mature students amongst you?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.