Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WTF is the difference between dating and being in a relationship?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    You're not in a relationship until it's Facebook official, innit
    YOU BEAT ME TO IT YOU F- :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    I guess it differs from person to person, the important thing is that the couple decides what "dating" or "being in a relationship" means to them. To me, I think dating is going out on dates, being romantic etc but not being official, whereas a relationship is the full on boyfriend/girlfriend exclusive malarky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodgymonkey)
    YOU BEAT ME TO IT YOU F- :mad2:
    :ahee:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm nice so I'll rep you by way of apology :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Back in my day if you were going out with each other you were boyfriend and girlfriend and therefore in a relationship.I'm lost with the terms for it these days though.Now theres things like "Official" and "Exclusive" which werent around when I was single back in the middle ages :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    :ahee:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm nice so I'll rep you by way of apology :awesome:

oh you are just the best :')

ReputationRep:
    I agree OP. The line is bloody blurry sometimes. I've been "seeing" someone for 4 months now. We've established that we arent seeing other people by talking about it, we spend our weekends together and are in constant contact during the week. I think he just assumes that now we're a couple, but to me it doesnt feel proper unless he actually asks me out formally. I'm SO old fashioned, but there you are. Oh and course he has to officiate our relationship on facebook. OBVIOUSLY.

Lol.

ReputationRep:
    I thought dating was the same as 'seeing' and being in a relationship is when you're boyfriend and girlfriend.

Then again, such things confuse me. What about 'courting'?

ReputationRep:
    Wait til you meet the cultures that don't actually discuss such things and just assume.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I find this interesting because it's possible to "go on dates" even though you're married.
    shutup.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le...eihyo1_400.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Dating is everything that happens before you put it up on facebook right? ...

ReputationRep:
    Dating is the getting to know eachother phase where you go on dates and hang out whereas being in a relationship is obviously being boyfriend/girlfriend...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.