Turn on thread page Beta

Would you go to the Cinema alone? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any harm in it TBH. If you're interested and no-one else is, it makes sense. I personally don't go alone, but that's only because I'm not a massive film fan, so when I go it's usually because of friends encouraging me.

I've been to concerts alone when no-one I know has been interested. Happens fairly often. Nothing to bother about.

ReputationRep:
    I do all the time. I go in the day when it's super cheap. Sometimes, I have the cinema to myself.

Oh, and get this: I actually demanded a refund once. Saw a film for free, basically. Get some balls, life is so much better. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I used to think it was wierd to go to the cinema alone as it was always an activity i did with a group of friends, but i recently started working in a cinema and there are a lot of people that do come in on their own, and to be honest i now wouldnt mind going to the cinema alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    I've been to the cinema alone quite a few times. There's no shame in it and nobody cares, it's not like you're sitting in a strip club alone or clubbing alone trying to score.

Watching films is a silent activity (in a cinema, at least - if you're having a quiet night in at a friend's with a DVD then not so much) and there's little social aspect to it, so I don't see how going alone is that big an issue because it's not as if you'll be talking to each other during the film itself. Same reason why going to the cinema often isn't recommended for a first date.
    Maybe not, but it could also be safetychoice...you go to a restaurant and you find she/he is really boring you...what then? what do you do, sit through the awkward silences praying the waitress will ask you for a drink? Then you'll regret not chosing the cinema.haha

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with it I used to do the same when I was in your situation, I had the same argument with a friend. Why should you not have to go, who gives a damn. Atmospheric films like Scream are meant to be watched in the big screen. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    If there was a film I wanted to see and no-one to go with, I would go and see it by myself - unless it was a romantic comedy in which case it would be pathetic behaviour and I should be certified for desiring to see it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Hayden Panettiere, Brittany Robertson, Shenae Grimes and Kristen Bell? Who would not want to watch them in action-repeatedly? Your friends are on crack. No offense.

And it's perfectly normal to watch a film by yourself. As someone has said, you're in a black room watching it silently. With some munch of course!

ReputationRep:
    yes

i haven't got the choice really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous 1989)
    I hate it when i find myself in situations where my friends don't want see the movie i'm dying to see or have already been, or go with their girlfriends or for whatever reason, i'm alone in wanting to see it. Well once again, this situation has arisen, the movie Scream 4 is coming out and really want to see it. I'm a huge fan of the franchise and can't wait to see the 4th. So what do i do? Pass and end up being rather miserable that i didn't see it or go on my own to see it?

Your thoughts and views?

I know it's proably be sad and the person serving me the one ticket at the counter will probably laugh thinking "what a loser", but hey, perhaps it's worth it?
    I think it's only sad if you don't have the confidence not to care what the cashier at the cinema thinks.......

I have tons of friends, but I went to an arthouse cinema on my own this evening, met some lovely new people and chatted about the film with them afterwards.

So yeah - go on your own. I never got how sitting in the dark watching a film was thought of as a good way of spending time with people anyway. Unless of course you're 15 and not actually there to watch it......

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy going on my own :shrug:

Oh, and get this: I actually demanded a refund once. Saw a film for free, basically.
    My hero! Why'd you do it?

ReputationRep:
    I honestly wouldn't go alone and if I can't find anyone to go with then I would just wait until it comes out on the internet and then download it. This is because I'm not such a massive fan of movies but if it was a Trance Event then I would probably consider going alone

Although I would wonder if other people would think I'm a loser for going to music events on my own so I dunno now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Because when you're actually sat down in the cinema you might as well be anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't, as I don't really like to go out on my own much, unless I'm going places. But I don't see why it'd be an issue, it's not like you'd talk to the people anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I do, usually to the 6pm or thereabouts showing, if no one else is interested in the film I want to see.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. When you go the cinema do you look around for people sitting on their own then laugh about it or do you just watch the movie without paying attention to others? The cashier is just selling tickets and the people are there to watch a movie; they don't care about your social life and won't remember you. Stop being paranoid.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anything is wrong with that at all. If I wanted to see a film BADLY, I'd think nothing off it.
    I highly doubt people will judge you, and if you think they will just turn up just in time, get a drink/popcorn/sweets, go in, enjoy, leave, done.

"Fortunately" I have a friend who is a massive movie nut, he usually asks me to go and its really easy to change his mind on which movie to watch :L So if I wanna see something I'll call him but usually he beats me to it :L

ReputationRep:
    I've recently started work as an Usher and a surprising amount of people go to see films on their own. They tend to go for the 4pm or 10pm showings as they're the least crowded. Often a lone cinema goer can have a whole screen to themselves!

ReputationRep:
    My friends informs me that one must never go to the cinema alone. I disagree because it doesn't come with any physical negative consequences as drinking alone might. Therefore only social implications remain but by definition you are alone hence nobody will know you went alone :P

ReputationRep:
    Okay, you guys are right. if i want to go then i should. But i just have the worry of bumping into someone i know, and they see taht i'm all alone. They'll think i'm complete and utter loser. I know number of people like this and it would be my worst nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous 1989)
    I hate it when i find myself in situations where my friends don't want see the movie i'm dying to see or have already been, or go with their girlfriends or for whatever reason, i'm alone in wanting to see it. Well once again, this situation has arisen, the movie Scream 4 is coming out and really want to see it. I'm a huge fan of the franchise and can't wait to see the 4th. So what do i do? Pass and end up being rather miserable that i didn't see it or go on my own to see it?

Your thoughts and views?

I know it's proably be sad and the person serving me the one ticket at the counter will probably laugh thinking "what a loser", but hey, perhaps it's worth it?
    I love the Resident Evil series so I wanted to see the newest one in 3D. All my friends were wusses who didn't like zombie movies so I went alone which was fine It's not like you'll talk a lot anyway

I'd say GO!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.