Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1sas09)
    on the cliff projectile question, did anyone else get u=250? v=211 ish i cant remember exactly ? and how did you find the angle
    i think i got the first one but i dnt remember what i got for v. i worked out the vertical velocity and made a triangle with the horizontal and vertical one and used tan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshp93)
    That momentum question had me thinking, i think i got m=9 and v=7 or maybe other way, did anyone else get this?
    i got tht too, were you confident with it because other ppl have said their m=5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sami.lo)
    I'm pretty certain it's 9. That's what I got anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sami.lo)
    It seems he kept it in i and j form wheras I converted it into a column vector and then solved it giving me m=5 and v=3, There shouldn't really be a difference in answer, interestingg.....

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was ok. Just got back now because i had decision. I am pretty sure i have got everything correct as i had a lot of time to check my answers. The last question was noticeably harder than the rest but not too bad. Hope everyone did well.

ReputationRep:
    I was quite confident about the momentum question in the end, only 1 person has said they got m=5 so far, and about 4 have said they got m=9, so im pretty sure i was right, but then again one person might be right and 4 might be wrong so idk

ReputationRep:
    For finding the tension in the string, with the two weights, did everyone get T=3g+5g=78.4N? im starting to think i may have messed up on that one, but its worth only 2 marks so not to bothered if i did.

ReputationRep:
    I got t=40 for the heli.
    m=9 and v=7 for the balls.
    250 for the first part of projectiles.
    253 or something for the second part (sqrt(x+y))
    angle around 8 degrees

Tension was T-mg=ma, so working the downwards for 1 ball has to equal the upwards of the other ball... my answers came out the same so managed to get the tension.

Last question was a joke though. The whole paper was definitely harder than most (changing around of questions like projectiles etc, using tan and s=ut+1/2at^2 about 3 times)... hopefully should push the grade boundaries down but IMO the last question was the only hard one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seejay1)
    I got t=40 for the heli.
    m=9 and v=7 for the balls.
    250 for the first part of projectiles.
    253 or something for the second part (sqrt(x+y))
    angle around 8 degrees

Tension was T-mg=ma, so working the downwards for 1 ball has to equal the upwards of the other ball... my answers came out the same so managed to get the tension.

Last question was a joke though. The whole paper was definitely harder than most (changing around of questions like projectiles etc, using tan and s=ut+1/2at^2 about 3 times)... hopefully should push the grade boundaries down but IMO the last question was the only hard one.
    What value did u get for the tension? i realise now about resolving it with T-mg=ma with one weight but i was doing it with both weights :/ if u got 78.4N then maybe there is more than 1 way to get it?

ReputationRep:
    hi guys how was the exam
    i thought the first 5 questions couldnt be easier
    but then i kinda did ok on the projectiles question and completely messed up 7 and 8
    i resolved for question 8 so i mite get 1 or 2 out of 5 for that

i think it will be 62-A
    54-b
    46-c
    38-d
    30-e

ReputationRep:
    i got m=9 and v=7 for the momentum
    i knw ive got the first 5 questions right but i knw i messed up the q7 and 8

for the projectiles was it u=250
    and the speed something like 253 or so for the speed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hahaff)
    hi guys how was the exam
    i thought the first 5 questions couldnt be easier
    but then i kinda did ok on the projectiles question and completely messed up 7 and 8
    i resolved for question 8 so i mite get 1 or 2 out of 5 for that

i think it will be 62-A
    54-b
    46-c
    38-d
    30-e
    You mean you resolved for vertical and horizontal components and then did a simutaneous equation to cancel Q? That's what i did and i managed to get to the expression it asked for, but how else can you do that question without resolving? I thought the whole basis of the question was to resolve.
    Did anyone else do 8a) a different way? if so let me know

ReputationRep:
    i got m=9 and v=7 for the momentum
    i knw ive got the first 5 questions right but i knw i messed up the q7 and 8

for the projectiles was it u=250
    and the speed something like 253 or so for the speed
    The speed was defo 253ish almost everyone i spoke to got that. And i got U to be 250 as well. The vertical component was 39 something if i remember correctly. I was quite suprised at the fact that you got 5 marks on the helicopter one for finding the magnitude and whacking the value into a suvat... but then again ive seen worse.

ReputationRep:
    What value did u get for the tension? i realise now about resolving it with T-mg=ma with one weight but i was doing it with both weights :/ if u got 78.4N then maybe there is more than 1 way to get it?
    I cant remember what the acceleration was or the weights? If you know ill work it out again

ReputationRep:
    You mean you resolved for vertical and horizontal components and then did a simutaneous equation to cancel Q? That's what i did and i managed to get to the expression it asked for, but how else can you do that question without resolving? I thought the whole basis of the question was to resolve.
    Did anyone else do 8a) a different way? if so let me know
    yep i resolved in vertical and horizontal components but damn i forgot to cancel out the q for simaltaneous equation

did anyone get 750 for h on the projectiles question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seejay1)
    I cant remember what the acceleration was or the weights? If you know ill work it out again
    Was it 0.2ms-2? or maybe 0.4 but the weight were 5kg and 3kg. I was wondering in the exam, that if you have two things connected, then the only force acting on them is gravity, and since they were both accelerating at the same speed (one going up one going down) then no matter what their acceleration is, surely the tension in the string will be the same?

Thats what made me change my answer because before i got 39.2N but then i thought better of it and ended up with 78.4N, so if you cant recall getting either one of them, then i clearly can't do tension.

ReputationRep:
    according to u guys assuming all ur answers are correct then i havent done as bad as i thought i did on q7 and 8
    but u have to agree that u will never see the first 5 questions as easy as today
    but i guess it averaged out with 6 7 and 8 being difficult questions

ReputationRep:
    yep i resolved in vertical and horizontal components but damn i forgot to cancel out the q for simaltaneous equation

did anyone get 750 for h on the projectiles question
    If i remember correctly i used s=ut+0.5at^2 to work out h, using u as 0ms-1 and a as 9.8ms-2. And i beliive they gave you a time? if anyone can remember the time it took for the projectile to hit the floor then i can work out h.

ReputationRep:
    Helicopter question was 40s?
    I got 28.7seconds...lol.... how did u work it out..... I can see myself dropping 20 marks and i really wanted an A...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezeffy)
    Helicopter question was 40s?
    I got 28.7seconds...lol.... how did u work it out..... I can see myself dropping 20 marks and i really wanted an A...
    Really can't understand how so many people struggled with this...
    They give you acceleration, they say the helicopter starts from rest (u=0ms-1) they give you a distance. So all you do is find the magnitude of the acceleration, and then whack it into s=ut+0.5at^2 and out comes t^2=1600 so t=40s.
    I think the reason is because people dont realise its just the magnitude that they need. I think i must of used the magnitude about 4 times in this paper and s=ut+0.5at^2 about 5 or 6 times lol.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.