Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brachydactyly type D (Clubbed thumbs) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (I think this is the right forum for this)

You might or might not have heard of clubbed thumbs. It is a genetic mutation that causes one or both thumbs to be abnormally short and wide. Megan Fox is one celebrity that is known to have them. It is rare - I have them myself and have only ever met one other person with clubbed thumbs. My question is to you - do they bother you? I have read many articles and had heard many people say they are disgusting and look like toes. Others don't seem to notice the difference.

Or do you also have clubbed thumbs yourself?

For those who do not know what they look like here are some examples:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it looks that bad. It wouldn't put me off someone.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm totally honest I probably wouldn't even notice it in real life, I had to stare at those pictures for a while before I did. Certainly wouldn't put me off someone.

ReputationRep:
    Megan Fox has far more to worry about than her thumbs, which are barely noticeable (in answer to your question - I wouldn't have noticed them, thus don't make a difference).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    (I think this is the right forum for this)

You might or might not have heard of clubbed thumbs. It is a genetic mutation that causes one or both thumbs to be abnormally short and wide. Megan Fox is one celebrity that is known to have them. It is rare - I have them myself and have only ever met one other person with clubbed thumbs. My question is to you - do they bother you? I have read many articles and had heard many people say they are disgusting and look like toes. Others don't seem to notice the difference.

Or do you also have clubbed thumbs yourself?

For those who do not know what they look like here are some examples:

Tits > Thumbs

ReputationRep:
    I have these. I never knew the name for it until very recently!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GdotL)
    I have these. I never knew the name for it until very recently!
    Do any of your family have them too? I noticed when I was about 11 - it's supposed to be genetic but no one else in my family has them

ReputationRep:
    Do any of your family have them too? I noticed when I was about 11 - it's supposed to be genetic but no one else in my family has them
    Hah I noticed when I was much younger I think - no, nobody in my family has them either - they used to accuse me off 'cutting my nails too short' - it's obvious you can't get a different thumbnail shape just from doing that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GdotL)
    Hah I noticed when I was much younger I think - no, nobody in my family has them either - they used to accuse me off 'cutting my nails too short' - it's obvious you can't get a different thumbnail shape just from doing that!
    I always keep my thumb nail longish so it doesn't look so obvious. Lots of people say they don't see the difference at all... (or maybe they are just trying to be nice lol)

ReputationRep:
    I always keep my thumb nail longish so it doesn't look so obvious. Lots of people say they don't see the difference at all... (or maybe they are just trying to be nice lol)
    Pics or gtfo?? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GdotL)
    Pics or gtfo?? lol
    Haha. Best photo I could find of them (or well one of them lol)

I think I had recently cut my nails then though....

ReputationRep:
    Here are mine LOL.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I've seen people with thumbs like that over the course of my life, but it never affected my view of them.I just thought they had different thumbs to me.I mean we all have different fingers/thumbs /hands dont we?.I also have something about my eyes that is very rare and tbh only my optician and a junior doctor have ever noticed, well outside of my family that is.

Embrace your uniqueness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GdotL)
    Here are mine LOL.
    Beautiful.

But why were you spreading your hands like that?

ReputationRep:
    Mine look like this. Ah well, life goes on.

ReputationRep:
    i have these as well, i became renowned in biology class for my toe thumbs
    and yeh none of my family have them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAmateurInTheatreD)
    i have these as well, i became renowned in biology class for my toe thumbs
    and yeh none of my family have them
    Maybe it is a recessive mutation?

Either way - it isn't very noticeable, and as long as it doesn't interfere with anything you do - nothing to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    I have these I didn't know there was a name for them, just knew they were different to everyone else's. I'm not too bothered about them, at least I have thumbs and they work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DellaLouise)
    I have these I didn't know there was a name for them, just knew they were different to everyone else's. I'm not too bothered about them, at least I have thumbs and they work
    Oh cool! Out of curiosity, can you click your fingers? I've never been able to and I always wondered if it was because the shape of my thumbs or just because I can't.

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool! Out of curiosity, can you click your fingers? I've never been able to and I always wondered if it was because the shape of my thumbs or just because I can't.
    I can't either Not sure if it because of the shape of my thumbs though.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.