Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brachydactyly type D (Clubbed thumbs) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Oh cool! Out of curiosity, can you click your fingers? I've never been able to and I always wondered if it was because the shape of my thumbs or just because I can't.
    i can so its not the thumbs

i havent been hindered too much in life, just the odd bowling ball fiasco and looking absurd in gloves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAmateurInTheatreD)
    i can so its not the thumbs

i havent been hindered too much in life, just the odd bowling ball fiasco and looking absurd in gloves
    Haha, same. I always have to pick bowling balls with a big enough thumb hole. Got stuck a few times. And I always buy smaller gloves. I play golf but luckily I managed to find a glove that fitted.

ReputationRep:
    both my thumbs are clubbed , neither my parents nor grandparrents (that i know of) have it but both me and my sister do...

they do bother me and i do consciously hide them with people i dont know well, but within my friends its just become a bit of a joke...the best way to handle it is to laugh i find

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DellaLouise)
    I can't either Not sure if it because of the shape of my thumbs though.
    both my thumbs are clubbed but i can still click with both hands

ReputationRep:
    mine are both like that, and i love them
    nobody in my family has them, i heard that you can get it from poor nutrition in the womb, but thats probably bull****.
    and i can click my fingers

ReputationRep:
    No one in my family has them either but for some reason i do! my family and my sisters mates find it fascinating and entertaining which i don't mind i just think its funny but there are some douche bags in my school that are disgusted by them, i don't understand why they're so grossed out by them, its just a shorter finger! they make me feel like i have to hide them all the time

ReputationRep:
    Genetic =/= inherited.

ReputationRep:
    I did some reading, it can sometimes be a random mutation, or it can be inherited. If you can't think of a close relative that has them then they are probably just a random mutation, luck of the draw I guess lol.

I myself have clubbed thumbs and honestly it wasn't until I was in my teens that I noticed I had weird thumbs. I showed my parents who didn't really noticed until then. Instantly my dad started calling them Toe Thumbs and making little jokes. I didn't mind, it was my dad.

I actually started showing people them even though I didn't know what they were. I eventually started saying I was mutant haha. I wasn't far off I guess.

Just today I found out what they were from silly thing I saw on Facebook about how not all celebrities are perfect. A Megan Fox showed up and it said she had Clubbed Thumb. I looked at her thumb on the picture and I laughed. "I'm not the only thumb mutant!"

People shouldn't feel bad or less of a person because of it though. Your thumbs are different, so what? It maybe harder to do your nails, or (when flip phones were still new) find a cell phone that you can type on. But they are your thumbs, and they are just thumbs! At least you have thumbs lol. I can now say I'm a part of the Club Thumb Club

ReputationRep:
    I did some reading, it can sometimes be a random mutation, or it can be inherited. If you can't think of a close relative that has them then they are probably just a random mutation, luck of the draw I guess lol.

I myself have clubbed thumbs and honestly it wasn't until I was in my teens that I noticed I had weird thumbs. I showed my parents who didn't really noticed until then. Instantly my dad started calling them Toe Thumbs and making little jokes. I didn't mind, it was my dad.

I actually started showing people them even though I didn't know what they were. I eventually started saying I was mutant haha. I wasn't far off I guess.

Just today I found out what they were from silly thing I saw on Facebook about how not all celebrities are perfect. A Megan Fox showed up and it said she had Clubbed Thumb. I looked at her thumb on the picture and I laughed.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't bump old threads :h:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.