Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP I just bumped into another car!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was driving to go and see my sibling (I passed my test like 3 months ago)...and I was turning right onto a road and this lady was turning into the road I was coming out of, and I very lightly touched the back corner of her car as I was turning. I thought there was enough room, but obviously not!
    I stopped and got out of the car and she followed me. There was absolutely nothing on my car, and on hers there was a dent in the corner, so i offered her my number/ insurance details, she was incredibly rude (which i understand, but i was incredibly apologetic in return), and she was so angry that she screamed at me and drove off without taking my details.

What the hell do i do? Her car was already pretty scruffy, so I want to believe that the dent in the corner was already there...but I did everything I should have...I stopped on the side of the road and apologised my arse off and offered my details, but she didn't take them. Can I get in trouble for this? What more should I have done? I am absolutely **** scared of telling my parents. But if no one was hurt and my car isnt damaged and she doesnt want my details should I still tell my parents? HELPPP

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert but I can't imagine you could have done anything else. This probably sounds very bad, but if I were you I'd be quite pleased it looks like she didn't bother getting any of your details as it probably means she wont be using your insurance hence your premium wont be shooting up?

Did she take your reg do you think or anything? Its so common to have little bumps and scrapes, you've done it you know now how cautious to be and how your car is bigger than you thought. Its not like you don't feel bad, is it? Not sure what else to say but try not to feel too bad its so easily done and you tried to sort it out x

ReputationRep:
    Make sure she doesn't try and claim that you did OTHER damage to her car. He bolting off without taking any of your details is her problem.

Maybe ring your insurer to let them know, so if she does try to claim for more than just that dent, she'll get done for fraud! If you don't tell them, they might have no choice to believe you. But then, they might up your premium, even if she doesn't make a claim.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't apologize, and if she hasn't taken your details i don't think you have much to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    She probably wasn't insured so she wouldn't be able to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    You did the right thing so you shouldn't worry, although I'd recommend calling up your insurance company and tell them what happened just in case this woman tries something funny

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Did she look a bit chavvy? might of not been insured

ReputationRep:
    I can't drive.
    Clearly, neither can you.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your replies! I've been so unbelievably stressed this evening, especially cos I'm a new driver and me and my parents have had to fork out so much for lessons and insurance, so having problems with other drivers really isn't something I need!! ...I also was thinking that she may have not been insured, because I found it strange that she didn't want my details (I offered them to her atleast six times during her little rant), but she sounded like she wasn't from this country, so perhaps she wasn't insured yet or something. I'm still really surprised that she didn't want my details, but lets hope its for the best! Thanks again for the replies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolmushroom)
    She probably wasn't insured so she wouldn't be able to do anything.
    It's gotta be this, don't worry about it OP, you could tell your insurer just in case as you're probably required to on your contract. But it won't cost you anything - lucky you had no damage!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would inform the police, as she could quite easily turn this around to look badly on you. Tell them what happened on the non emergency number so it's logged that you did stop and she was the one who drove off. Otherwise, it would could suspect if you were at fault and she said you drove off.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should tell your insurer!!! Tell the police if you want to log what happened, like the above post says. My friend had a bump last year, she paid for the damage caused herself but she informed her insurance company and even though she didn't claim for it, she's had a new quote and it's gone up 100% because of that :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Personally I would inform the police, as she could quite easily turn this around to look badly on you. Tell them what happened on the non emergency number so it's logged that you did stop and she was the one who drove off. Otherwise, it would could suspect if you were at fault and she said you drove off.
    Yeah this is a good idea too, OP you just got to cover yourself, doesn't look like this is going to cost you anything though which is lucky..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hot Sauce)
    I don't think you should tell your insurer!!! Tell the police if you want to log what happened, like the above post says. My friend had a bump last year, she paid for the damage caused herself but she informed her insurance company and even though she didn't claim for it, she's had a new quote and it's gone up 100% because of that :|
    Insurance goes up no matter what, they always try to screw you on renewals + the prices went up 40% if I remember right in the last year. Without a claim you don't have to tell new insurers when you're policy expires so it costs you nothing as long as you shop about which you should always do.

Plus you may find not telling them invalidates your policy, they'll take any excuse. Nothing to lose by telling the insurers, just covers yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Listen to this advice.

Phone police, so that you're legally in the clear. I wouldn't bother informing your insurers...although on a technical level, you should.

ReputationRep:
    NEVER say sorry, even if you are. If you do, you are can find your insurance void as you are accepting it was your fault. Your insurance company is there to fight for you.

If she didn't take your details, there's nothing that can be done, if anything, she was in the wrong and could get in trouble. You'll probably find she wasn't insured, hence why she didn't bother taking your details.

All I'd say that you should do is to inform the police of the incident.

ReputationRep:
    hmm. suspicious behaviours of this lady....
    did you at least make note of any details, like registration of her vehicle, or maybe even mental note of her appearance if you did not get her name + address?

like some others have said i would ring police just to make sure your bacon is covered incase she tries nasty sh*t on you with police in the future ^^ also if you were to do this, telling them of her behavious and the the police was to discover she was not insured to use that car, then you've gone and found a insurance-dodging scum - and, i amongst many other, would salute you ;D

ReputationRep:
    Yeah actually good point if you haven't already contact the police. I had some **** cause me problems a couple months ago and by going to the police they said no matter what I'm in the clear legally. I asked if I should tell my insurance and they were like naaaa don't bother its not like anything happened unless the other person comes forward or says anything.

ReputationRep:
    female driver :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx glitterpixie xx)
    I was driving to go and see my sibling (I passed my test like 3 months ago)...and I was turning right onto a road and this lady was turning into the road I was coming out of, and I very lightly touched the back corner of her car as I was turning. I thought there was enough room, but obviously not!
    I stopped and got out of the car and she followed me. There was absolutely nothing on my car, and on hers there was a dent in the corner, so i offered her my number/ insurance details, she was incredibly rude (which i understand, but i was incredibly apologetic in return), and she was so angry that she screamed at me and drove off without taking my details.

What the hell do i do? Her car was already pretty scruffy, so I want to believe that the dent in the corner was already there...but I did everything I should have...I stopped on the side of the road and apologised my arse off and offered my details, but she didn't take them. Can I get in trouble for this? What more should I have done? I am absolutely **** scared of telling my parents. But if no one was hurt and my car isnt damaged and she doesnt want my details should I still tell my parents? HELPPP
    Tell your parents, **** the woman

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.