Turn on thread page Beta

Wrapped in nothing, you'll still get fed... but it tastes better in Pastry or Bread! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    DEBATE TIME, Foodies.

This is likely to touch one and all of you, as it is an incredibly important topic which affects us all, day to day.

Triggered by the catalyst that is my moronic work colleague, we began to discuss that most things taste better when slammed between two big slices of bread, or wrapped up in pastry.

Whether it's a roll on sausage or a sausage roll, a cheese toastie or a cheese tartlet, bread or pastry give an added layer of asskickery that elevate an ingredient to become a meal, and a tasty treat to become a taste sensation. But then our lad decided to stir up the hornet's nest.

"Aye, but pastry far more, stuff wrapped in pastry is like a ten, stuff put on a sandwich is like a seven".

Uh-oh. Oh no, you di'in't. Your answer is WRONG, colleague-who-will-remain-anonymous.

So help us out here, TSR foodies. Tell me if wrapping in bread or pastry is superior, and give your reasoning why.

ReputationRep:
    I think I prefer meatballs when they arn't in a sub, if i'm honest.

Some people need to learn that you can't just put anything in bread...

ReputationRep:
    I know pastry was originally designed as peasants' crockery, but I find that these days things in pastry are more of a fork and knife affair when compared to the sandwich. I think there's a certain something (food connection-wise) to being able to pick things up between pieces of bread and to really manipulate the thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sim188)
    I think I prefer meatballs when they arn't in a sub, if i'm honest.

Some people need to learn that you can't just put anything in bread...
    No subs here thank you. My local sandwich shop sells meatballs, cheese and bbq sauce in muffin. Simple bliss :coma:

Bread is better as it is healthier. A sausage roll can easily be converted into a sausage muffin, a Greggs ham and cheese bake can easily be turned into a ...ummm...soggy sandwichy mess!

ReputationRep:
    i think he has a point. like deep frying or covering a ketchup, putting something in pastry will instantly make it taste better, whereas with a sandwich a lot depends on the quality of bread, dressing, salad etc.

ReputationRep:
    I just believe that pastry makes things either taste too cloying on the palate (shortcrust) or far too greasy (poorly executed Greggs puff pastry) a lot of the time whereas a sandwich, roll or similar tends to be far more consistent.

Either or, you're usually getting a good deal; I just think sandwiches are a "cleaner", more convenient, flexible cornucopia of possibilities.

ReputationRep:
    This question depends do Indian, Chinese and other asian pastries such as samosas or spring rolls count as if they do pastries hands down.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right.
    The idea of goats cheese and onion on their own...not that exciting.
    But then this:

is just yummy.

ReputationRep:
    I think I might have to go with bread here. Pastry feels like all the calories but less substance than bread. But then, you can't really put Cornish pasty filling on bread...on the other hand, neither can you make a ham sandwich in pastry...

Bread is so much more flexible. You can buy a loaf of bread and make multiple different sandwiches out of it, but with pastry, you have to bake it with its filling so you're limited to whatever you were craving at the time of baking.

ReputationRep:
    This is tricky.. but I think I'm going to have to go with bread, 'cause you have a lot of options and toast is my weakness :')
    Wack something on toast and it makes it 10x more awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Bacon butty. Fish finger sandwiches.

Bread for the win.

ReputationRep:
    The debate actually continued with his "bulletproof" argument that if you went into Greggs, it's far more appetising to buy a steak bake/chicken bake/sausage roll than a "crappy sandwich", but if I was caught short and needed a bite from greggs, I'd actually opt for a bloomer sandwich/oval bite any day.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think anything tastes better or worse per se. It's just an alternate means of delivering food to your mouth.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, this is certainly a tricky one, as I am both fond of a perfect sandwich and beautifully cooked homemade crumbly pastry. In conclusion though, I'd favour the bread over the pastry, simply because I think the bread allows the filling to be the star, it is much more modest in it's addition to the meal. Whereas with pastry, the pastry seems to be the making/breaking point; bad pastry = bad meal.

PLUS, the variants of bread are a lot vaster.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you're talking about... but I would probably say bread as some people's pastry isn't very nice. And I like sandwiches lol. If we're talking about Gregg's though, I would prefer pastry - every sandwich (all 2 of them ) I've had from there hasn't been very nice.

ReputationRep:
    Taste-wise, I have no complaints with either. Bread, however, doesn't become a drifting cloud of crumbs when subjected to the slightest hint of pressure, as pastry is wont to do. Pastry is too unpredictable - it can be very nice or absolutely awful, whereas bread is bread. At worst it's just packaging for the filling, and at best it adds character and flavour.
    Both suffer from the Dreaded Sogginess, though. Eurgh. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    I like both. Obviously there's more you can put in bread than you can put in pastry but I like my pastry-ised items too. Like mince steak pies. And sausage rolls.

I have a rule though, white bread for toast and brown/wholemeal for sandwiches. Simply because white bread gets too soggy! Unless it's a good 'ol crisp sandwich, then it has to be white bread. Yeah.. I'm fussy!

ReputationRep:
    Well, just taking into account the Greggs example, how many of you would opt for an oval bite/baguette/bloomer sandwich over a bake/sausage roll/pasty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Well, just taking into account the Greggs example, how many of you would opt for an oval bite/baguette/bloomer sandwich over a bake/sausage roll/pasty?
    If I went to Greggs, which I don't do that often, it would be for a chicken bake or three. I'm not a big fan of prepacked sandwiches (as you have probably noticed). I like things to be cooked fresh.

I also really do like their pastry. I know its technically a bit too greasy and thus incredibly unhealthy, but it just melts in your mouth and tastes so damn good.

ReputationRep:
    Pastry is baaad, it flakes everywhere. Everything tastes good in bread... even fruit, weirdly enough

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.