Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've applied for universities in London as I will be living at home. I will be commuting from North London, Tottenham. I picked these universities as they were relatively easy to get too compared to others.

The subject area that I’m interested in is Computing/IT

I'm currently doing an Access to Computing course and retaking my GCSE Maths for the 3rd time. I was rejected from my first/main choice for having failed GCSE maths twice before now (if only I had known I wouldn’t have put it in my UCAS). My first choice was Queens Mary and the rest were backups.

I originally wanted to do Computer Science but I've been put off, by the fact that it includes allot of maths, and I find I struggle with the gcse Maths that I’m retaking, plus I do not enjoy maths and I don’t think that the theory of why computers do things and work is that interesting and imagine it could be boring for me.

So far in my Access course I have gained 6 distinctions out of the 6 assignments that we have had back. All of the offers I have are for me to just pass my Access course. I’ve been doing research and I’ve had comments from some that it does not matter what uni you go to as long as you get a good grade at the end, and others that say that it is life or death lol.

I have conditional offers from the below, I've been to open days for all of them now.

Thames Valley University - Ealing - Computing & Information Systems -

(friends from the course that I’m doing at the moment have said that this is a bad uni, I wasn’t that impressed by the look of it when I went for the openday, they said that there’s about 100 people in the computing section for this year in total. Lecture theatre looked abit run down, classroom we were in looked like my college classroom. Sample lesson was okay, it was on networking from a technician I think)

Westminster University - Candavish - Computer Science -

(Friends from the course that I’m doing at the moment have said that this is a not so good uni, the uni seems to be in a good location, with Tottenham Court Road & Oxford street just around the corner. Openday - 1st 2 speakers were good & then we got broken into groups according to course, the team leader seemed really quiet and shy speaking, we then had a lecture by a lecturer (or lecturer leader) that was very hard to understand, English wasn’t his first language and he was very excited in speaking. I tried reading the PowerPoint instead of listening to him. They also had problems working the laptop?)

Greenwich University - I think main site - Computing -

(friends from the course that I’m doing at the moment have said that this is a not so good uni. Openday - I didn’t really like the feel of the uni to be honest and do not really see myself going here, but I’m not sure. No sample lesson)

Middlesex University - Hendon site - Information Technology -

(friends from the course that I’m doing at the moment have said that this is a not so good uni. Openday - I liked the look of the Uni, I did miss part of the introduction as I was directed to the wrong group/induction. I thought that the Uni looked good generally; the lecture theatres etc looked good. There was a sample lesson on that was on something I didn’t know about, Haptic feedback or something)

Rejected from

Queens Mary - Information and Communications Technology

In the Guardian league table for Computer Science & IT they have:

TVU at number 66, although I believe the times have them at 100 and something.

Greenwich at 70, although I believe the times have them at 100 and something.

Middlesex at 91, although I believe the times have them at 100 and something.

Westminster - 102, although I believe the times have them at 100 and something.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ciences-and-it

I appreciate any help and advice that you can give, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Middlesex. It sounds like you enjoyed this one the most out of all of them. The problem I'd have with Westminster (which would be my second choice) is that the quality of teaching you've experienced didn't appear to be that good. First impressions count and if I'm investing a lot of cash for my degree, I'd want to make sure I'm getting the best value possible, especially if I'm going to be there for 3/4 years.

ReputationRep:
    i would go for Greenwich if i were you, they are ranked quite high for computer science compared to your others, beautifull campus, good location, very high student satisfaction rate. Although you seem to be setting your heart on Middlesex

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your input guys

After the constant bashing of the uni's Im thinking of going to by a few of my fellow class mates I'm wondering if I might be making a mistake going to these uni's. I did like Middlesex the most but it is quite low down in the rankings.

To go full time to one of these uni's, I'll probably have to give up work, which im doing part-time at the moment but the money is good for what it is. I know this is very late but is there away of me applying for other uni's? I'm yet to confirm any of my offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wg1234)
    I know this is very late but is there away of me applying for other uni's? I'm yet to confirm any of my offers.

You can decline all your offers, then go through UCAS extra.
    Give this some thought before you do this, as you cant get your offers back once you decline them.

Before you do this though look at the course search on UCAS website, Courses marked with an X have places, but sometimes this is out of date, so you normally phone them first before sending your application off to them.

ReputationRep:
    You could also consider Birkbeck College

It's a decent uni (part of the University of London) and a lot of the degrees on offer are for part time study

ReputationRep:
    I second Birkbeck. It has a better reputation than all of the places that you have applied for and you can do the degree part-time too. I was also going to recommend my alma mater, Goldsmiths, which has a growing reputation for computing and is also a decent uni overall (as with Birkbeck, it is a University of London college). Have a look at this course as an example of what they offer: http://www.gold.ac.uk/ug/bsc-computing-info-systems/

ReputationRep:
    Birbeck & goldsmith look like good options. I'm going to give them a call.

Does a uni being a University of London college mean you can use the facilities of the other UoL libraries or campusus?

A quick general question, if I applied to do a degree part time and then after a year or two, decided I wanted to convert to a full-time degree would I get charged the new higher fees e,g, the 6000 - 9000 fees or would I get charged the current rate?

I thought I would get charged the current rate but I phoned middlesex and the advisor said that you would get charged the new fees as your mode of study would change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wg1234)
    Birbeck & goldsmith look like good options. I'm going to give them a call.

Does a uni being a University of London college mean you can use the facilities of the other UoL libraries or campusus?
    You are able to access the libraries of other colleges but only on a reference access basis. You can however join the central university library, Senate House. This is a huge art deco building adjacent to Birkbeck and SOAS and has some 2 million books in its collection. You will have borrowing rights as a member and it is an invaluable resource if you're at somewhere like Goldsmiths as I found out.

You also get access to the central student's union, ULU, which is just round the corner from Birkbeck.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, but what does reference access basis mean?

btw, I contacted Birkbeck, to get onto there degree I would have to do their foundation degree first and then a further two years of study on the bsc. It would be 3 evenings a week for basically 4 years.

Im thinking of middlesex but want to slightly change the course to another thats similar but has a little bit of a business focus added to it. Im guessing that I shouldnt "firm" the offer I got if I want to do another course there?

I can't believe I have not made up my mind, the deadline is tomorrow 6pm. I guess I could try going to UCAS Extra if I dont end up confirming my choices, but it's risky.

ReputationRep:
    definitely; Westminster

ReputationRep:
    have you considered Brunel or city?

ReputationRep:
    Dude, with a distinction overall in your access course, there's far better places for you to apply to.

As for your question, Computer science is more orientated towards building computer programmes from scratch that's why it involves a lot of maths. Information technology is more practical, fixing software, networks and creating databases for clients.

They're both pretty useful degrees, it depends on the employer really. Anyway, good luck with everything. Out of those universities I'd recommend Middlesex or Westminister.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Greenwich
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Greenwich
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.