The Student Room Group

Career choices, I feel lost and depressed

Hey,

I recently had two rejections from public sector graduates schemes after reaching the assessment centre stage. Basically I fell at the last hurdle, which is so frustrating after a long application process. I am basically very tired of a year of applications, whilst working full time.

I am lucky as I have managed to get on to the Teach First graduate scheme, which seems to offer good prospects. However, the workload is insane and I don't think I am going to have a life for the next two years. It is going to be immensely stressful. I also had a very negative experience of working in a school, due to the staff. But really do enjoy working with children. Yet the negatives and the level of work expected have made me question if this is really going to make me happy.

I am worried that this may not be the best choice for me. Yet I run the risk of losing everything if I turn down the offer. The only other thing that really interests me is the third sector, but it is insanely competitive to get into. I also not from an affluent background, so can't work unpaid.

Whilst I realise that no one can make the choice for me, can anyone offer any advice on how I can come to a decision? I have spoken to my careers service, but they are not much help. I am under increasing time pressure as the start of the scheme is nearing. It is having a impact on me, I can't sleep properly and I feel constantly stressed.

I really do have so much sympathy for my fellow graduate job hunters at this time. I hope you have found jobs that you are happy in!

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending