Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    This is probably bit of a weird question but basically...

    ...although having supported myself for three or more years, Student Finance have decided that I haven't earned enough to be self sufficient, therefore given me pennies as opposed to my original estimation.

    I called them up and was told the above and the person I spoke with suggested I did my application as means tested on my parents, even though I haven't lived with them in nearly 5 years.

    My application has already been sent on the basis I am independent and I am yet to find where I can change that aspect and allow myself to input my Mother's customer reference number, so she has someone on her account to support - and then do so.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks in advance!


    PFF1 forms, which are in the Forms & Guides section of the website.

    For information though, the regulations do not specify an amount a student has to earn to be classed as independent, and they should've assessed your individual circumstances. I would therefore make a challenge, citing Schedule 4 Paragraph 2(1)(k) of The Education (Student Support) Regulations, as the regulations overrule any internal guidance SFE have.



students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.