Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi – I’m posting on behalf of my fiancé.

A brief summary of her history is that she got reasonable GCSE’s without much work. She hasn’t got the 5A’s that some places seem to want,but she’s got the B’s in Sciences/Maths/etc .

Then, halfway through her A-levels, for reasons I won’t delve into, she suffered an extremely traumatic event, and dropped out of 6th form. The following year, she tried to retake A-levels, but was really held back by post traumatic stress and various other things, didn’t turn up for half her exams and failed everything.

For nearly 3 years now, she’s been working as a biomedical lab assistant in a hospital, and she feels ready to take on A-levels now without her past problems holding her back. She’s thinking of going to 6th form college, aiming for AAA in Chem/Bio/Maths. ( And possibly English. ) I think she’s intellectually capable of doing that. BUT there are a few things I’m not entirely clear on.

• Am I right in thinking redoing A-levels is her only way of getting to a veterinary science course? From what I understand, the gateway courses that exist aren’t really aimed at mature students?
    • A lot of the unis don’ t accept resits, but I’m not clear on what counts as a resit. If you fail a course, and retake it years later, is that a resit? Or do they just mean resitting modules?

More generally, assuming she can go and get AAA and relevant work experience (and assuming funding etc isn’t a problem), it would be really useful to have an honest idea of what her chances would be like of getting in to a (UK) VetSci course.

Thanks for your time! Apologies if any of these are dumb questions.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure how much of an accurate answer i can give you but i'll give you bits and bobs of what i know
    quite a few places accept resits (resits mean that you're retaking exams out of your years of studying, if you're retaking them in the year you're studying e.g. get a C in a january exam retake it in june then that'd be fine) top of my head is RVC and liverpool. liverpool want a 4th B at AS level or a level so will be worth doing the english even if it is just at AS level - a lot of places prefer another AS level. when resitting they normally expect the top offer - so AAA

i know rvc is good with mature students i'd avoid gateway as there's a few conditions you have to meet and it's more competitive - if she's able of getting AAA then that'd be fine for regular entry. when i was on the open day i met two mature students there. i also did a quick google and found out bristol accept mature students as well

as long as she has the AAA and lots of work experience i generally think chances are good. if your fiance's really dedicated it will show through will work experience and personal statements etc

i don't know how helpful that is!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I also don't know enough about the gateway course but there are three categories you must fall into to qualify - one is that neither of her parents studied in higher education and I think another one is to do with income. If she doesn't qualify for any of the three parts then she won't be able to apply for the gateway course anyway.

So the A levels will definitely be worth doing. I wouldn't bother with English as well if she doesn't really want to, she has had life experience which will show she has a more rounded skill set than an AS in English would, it only really separates those fresh from school.

With regards to the re-sitting side of things yes failing and then re-sitting is a re-sit, re-sitting a module within the 2 years does not count as a re-sit. I would imagine that most universities will be understanding about her circumstances, particularly if she manages to get the work experience and pull the grades out of the bag - it will really show commitment and that she's turned everything around for herself. Her situation is not dissimilar to people who fail due to serious illness etc and there are some on this forum who have had interviews this year after re-sitting. However I would 100% recommend contacting the admissions teams at the individual universities she wants to apply for and asking them directly. She will have to be prepared to be honest with them and potentially be asked about her traumatic experience at interview. I don't know of any UK vet school that doesn't take mature students but again it will be worth contacting the universities directly to check if they will consider her application given her circumstances.

Honestly, veterinary science/medicine is an extremely competetive course to get into but if she gets the grades and work experience then there is no reason why she wouldn't have as good a chance as any other applicant, in fact she has a lot that makes her stand out as an applicant. The work experience will play a big part in her chances as it will show her unwavering commitment. Aim for at least Liverpool's minimum 10 weeks including core dairy, equine, kennel/cattery and small and large animal placements, plus anything interesting to give the application that edge.

On the funding front as it stands now she would qualify for a full tuition fee and maintenance loan like every other undergraduate student which is interest free and you pay it back after you graduate and start earning £15,000pa. If you go for the income assessed route then she could be entitled to a maintenance grant (at the moment) which you don't pay back.

If she would consider studying abroard then UVM in Kosice does not require A-Levels to get into the 6 year vetmed course, you just need to pass the entrance exams which are science GCSE/A-Level difficulty. I totally understand that this may not be the route you guys want to go down though

Best of luck!!
    x x x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    retaking a module is a resit. retaking a whole A-level is also a resit.

i've only spoken to RVC and nottingham about resits, since those are the two i'll be applying to, but both are happy to accept resits (either modules within the two years or entire A-level) but expect A grades on the resits. since they won't accept anything less than an A grade anyway that doesn't seem to make that much difference!

they do expect a minimum grade to be achieved first time though so worth phoning the unis to ask them directly and explain her situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schizopear)
    retaking a module is a resit. retaking a whole A-level is also a resit.

i've only spoken to RVC and nottingham about resits, since those are the two i'll be applying to, but both are happy to accept resits (either modules within the two years or entire A-level) but expect A grades on the resits. since they won't accept anything less than an A grade anyway that doesn't seem to make that much difference!

they do expect a minimum grade to be achieved first time though so worth phoning the unis to ask them directly and explain her situation.
    I'm fairly sure that if you re-sit a module within the 2 year A Level start and finish then that does not count as a re-sit and you won't have to get the AAA (if they usually offer AAB). This is because if you took a module in the January of your AS year and then re-took it in June on your UCAS form you would only put the June grade (if that was the highest, your grade can't go down) and likewise if you took an A2 module in the January of that year and then re-took in June the only grade the uni would know about is you final one. As you've said though, most unis ask for AAB/AAA anyway for vetmed so it doesn't really make too much of a difference. Good point about the minimum first time sitting though, but as you've also said it's definitely worth a check with the individual admissions teams as this is an exceptional circumstance
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by stef_vet?)
    I'm fairly sure that if you re-sit a module within the 2 year A Level start and finish then that does not count as a re-sit and you won't have to get the AAA (if they usually offer AAB). This is because if you took a module in the January of your AS year and then re-took it in June on your UCAS form you would only put the June grade (if that was the highest, your grade can't go down) and likewise if you took an A2 module in the January of that year and then re-took in June the only grade the uni would know about is you final one. As you've said though, most unis ask for AAB/AAA anyway for vetmed so it doesn't really make too much of a difference. Good point about the minimum first time sitting though, but as you've also said it's definitely worth a check with the individual admissions teams as this is an exceptional circumstance
    i suppose it might be different for different universities but i have an e-mail from nottingham about resits and it states that one resit per module or for the whole A-level is acceptable but an A is required on any second attempt.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, you've all been really helpful! She's going to spend some time phoning round the admissions people over the next week or so. Ill let you know if they come up with anything interesting/unexpected.

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    good luck! between us (all the TSR people, maybe not just us 3!) we should be able to answer most questions

ReputationRep:
    be aware that depending on where you are Chemistry A level (which may be required) is not offered via distance learning, so she will have to join 16 yr olds in a class. You might be lucky enough to find a mature student place that will do it for you, I have yet to find one!

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by misswager)
    be aware that depending on where you are Chemistry A level (which may be required) is not offered via distance learning, so she will have to join 16 yr olds in a class. You might be lucky enough to find a mature student place that will do it for you, I have yet to find one!
    that really shouldn't put people off! i go to a sixth form college...

edit: also chemistry is available as a distance learning course, although it costs somewhere in the region of £3,000. it's also possible to take it as a private candidate, although a college in london is the only place i've found that will take peeps for the practical exams.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.