Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I just don't know what to do...
    So here's the facts.

I finish college in June.
    I'm doing 4 A levels - Art, Maths, English Language and Business.
    I am predicted to get A*AAB but realistically I think I will get AABC.
    I have an offer (which I accepted) at Exeter university to study Business but I really cannot see myself going to university in September. I have a horse and I don't want to give that up yet. I have been lucky because my dad has always paid for my livery for my horse but when I finish college he will stop paying for it, which is fair enough. He really wants me to go to university and he hates my interest in horses. I have NO idea of what I want to do when I'm older and it worries me as well as my dad.

I know this is a pointless post. Just needed to vent.. and see what people say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pennyface)
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I just don't know what to do...
    So here's the facts.

I finish college in June.
    I'm doing 4 A levels - Art, Maths, English Language and Business.
    I am predicted to get A*AAB but realistically I think I will get AABC.
    I have an offer (which I accepted) at Exeter university to study Business but I really cannot see myself going to university in September. I have a horse and I don't want to give that up yet. I have been lucky because my dad has always paid for my livery for my horse but when I finish college he will stop paying for it, which is fair enough. He really wants me to go to university and he hates my interest in horses. I have NO idea of what I want to do when I'm older and it worries me as well as my dad.

I know this is a pointless post. Just needed to vent.. and see what people say?
    From what you've said, it sounds like you don't know what you want to study, if at all.

Are you only going to university for the sake of it or to please your dad? Maybe you should hold off going until you know what you want to do with your life, otherwise you will go and get into lots of debt for no real reason.

Couldn't you study at a university near home and study something to do with horses?

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel pressured into going to university just because school and family expect it of you. Take a year to weigh up what you want to do with the rest of your life because you will regret making a hasty decision

ReputationRep:
    :console:

Edit: just realised this may be bad advice, as I live in Scotland where fees are paid for by the scottish gov. but personally this way worked for me. Don't risk it if your sure you dont want it! Get a job with horses?? Get an apprenticeship?

I wasn't sure if uni was for me either, I live in a council estate, most of my family are on benefits and all my mates weren't going. My Da had a stroke that year and to make sure he got full care from the NHS I had to be in some form of further education. Even though at the time I didn't want to be I went for it. AND I DO NOT REGRET IT ONE BIT.

You don't know what to do with your life? Well uni is perfect for you! It gives you 4 years to study something you enjoy, throws you into a new environment, you meet new people, your horizons are widened, you gain so many new skills and you get a taste of various subjects so you will gain some sort of life direction. Having a degree of whatever discipline will help you in some way in life and no doubt you can incorporate your love of horses in it (join clubs, teams, take horsey modules :teehee:).

I don't know, sorry if I aren't helping. I hope you find yourself! If you are truly lost then go for it, you have nothing to lose!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pennyface)
    I have NO idea of what I want to do when I'm older and it worries me as well as my dad.
    Not many people do. Plenty of people leave university without any idea of what they want to go into.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go, personally, because you will fall into the same trap that most do, and that is doing what other people expect you to do, instead of using your own mind and stand your ground.

It is not bad that you don't know what you want to do, but do you want to get a degree and £20k debt in a subject which you say you don't know if it's for you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.