Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

can you be close friends with the opposite sex without romantic emotions? Watch

my best friends is a guy, we started out dating but we noticed that when we were friends we were getting along fine but as a couple it was like walking into a war zone when you invited us to a party or something.

after we broke up we became really close (he knows when I'm on and carries pads around with him in case i don't have some on me)

A group of us planned a trip to France as this will be the last time we will see each other as a big group any he invited his 'girlfriend' who is a completely horrible person, she kept making really quips about me and he would act as if nothing happened, she even told this guy i liked that i had a baby on the way ( I mean really)
    when i asked her about it she said guys and girls can't be as close as me and him are, and she knows I have some kind of sexual tension with him and she doesn't like that, oh and she doesn't like the way I look at him and flirt with everyone I see.

When i told some of my male friends about this they said she had a point, 'it's hard for a boy and a girl to be as close as we are without having romantic feelings are one of us being gay?

is this true?

(sorry about the whole life story)

Yes you can be friends without romantic emotions, I have a lot of girl friends and I don't feel anything for them other than friendship feelings

ReputationRep:
    All but one of my best mates are girls, I don't have romantic emotions with any of them. We all go riding together, it'd be odd to have any relationship thing going on, they are all far too good mates for that.

So yeah, you can.

ReputationRep:
    he carries pads around for you?!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I have two very close guy friends. One's just like my brother and I've completely and utterly fallen for the other one

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can. Surely this is obvious?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, plenty of people have managed it. Some people just aren't your type. Do your male friends just literally want to have sex with every woman they meet?

ReputationRep:
    yes you can but she will probably need reassuring about it especially if you used to be together

ReputationRep:
    Based on my experience I would say no, sooner or later one is bound to get attracted to the other.
    This doesn't mean you/I can't be friends with them, just being close friends is quite difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

after we broke up we became really close (he knows when I'm on and carries pads around with him in case i don't have some on me)
    creepy

(Original post by i.love.heroes)
    he carries pads around for you?!!!!!
    yeah this is after a embarrassing incident so he made a pact with me to carry then when I'm on or about to be

ReputationRep:
    The only reason you usually can't is that a lot of guys find girls boring.
    Obviously he doesn't find you boring, so you can be friends without a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can, I've had several close guy friends over the years that I wasnt interested in. However you guys did date, so there was some romantic feelings/tension there once so maybe it wouldnt be so hard to wonder if it might still be there/come back for his gf?

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can be close friends without there being romantic or sexual emotion involved.
    The question is, does this apply to YOU. It sounds like there IS sexual tension, and there's romantic history. If you're sure this isn't the case then there's no issue... But if this is true, then I don't blame his girlfriend for being pissed off. You shouldn't flirt with other people's partners really, and if you do you shouldn't be shocked if they get angry.

ReputationRep:
    There must be some residue of romantic feeling left, since you dated him. If a heart breaks, you can glue it back together, but it's not just like new. Still, for a forever platonic relationship I would say it's common enough to have opposite-sex friends, particularly as you mature.

I would guess you're both quite mature, the thing about the sanitary pads and your reaction to the *****y girlfriend shows this. I can understand the girlfriend's comment, however, and it is certainly good form to back off a bit to allow a close relationship between them to develop.

I'm not accusing you, but you should be sure to have seriously introspected over your feelings, because your failure to back off might be passive aggression. Maturity and immaturity often present similarly. While the girlfriend is not that mature, and certainly at fault for telling such a nasty lie, it might be a good idea to be the bigger (wo)man in this case and respect his space while he's got a girlfriend, or at least bring it up with him/even her.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's possible - one of my closest friends is a guy and I see him like an older brother.

There's a chance of feelings developing on one side at one point but it's not entirely impossible to remain platonic

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can! But then again in saying this most of my guy friends are gay... there may be a connection!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think it's possible. Out of my closest friends, 3 are guys. And I feel absolutely nothing romantically for any of them, so it is possible. But they've become like older brothers, I could never see them in a romantic light.

But if you've dated the guy and are now really close friends... my best mate did this and fell for him again, hard. It's possible in your situation obviously, but I think it's likely one of you will end up feeling something for the other.

I hope it works out well for you though

(Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Of course you can be close friends without there being romantic or sexual emotion involved.
    The question is, does this apply to YOU. It sounds like there IS sexual tension, and there's romantic history. If you're sure this isn't the case then there's no issue... But if this is true, then I don't blame his girlfriend for being pissed off. You shouldn't flirt with other people's partners really, and if you do you shouldn't be shocked if they get angry.
    don't flirt with unavailable guys as I wouldn't be happy if girls flirted with my boyfriend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    my best friends is a guy, we started out dating but we noticed that when we were friends we were getting along fine but as a couple it was like walking into a war zone when you invited us to a party or something.

A group of us planned a trip to France as this will be the last time we will see each other as a big group any he invited his 'girlfriend' who is a completely horrible person, she kept making really quips about me and he would act as if nothing happened, she even told this guy i liked that i had a baby on the way ( I mean really)
    when i asked her about it she said guys and girls can't be as close as me and him are, and she knows I have some kind of sexual tension with him and she doesn't like that, oh and she doesn't like the way I look at him and flirt with everyone I see.

When i told some of my male friends about this they said she had a point, 'it's hard for a boy and a girl to be as close as we are without having romantic feelings are one of us being gay?

is this true?

(sorry about the whole life story)
    Just plain creepy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.