Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been stuck on this question for a while now, would appreciate it if anyone can help me on the following integral.
    Evaluate  \displaystyle\int^\frac{\pi}{2}_  0 [a+(a-1)cos(\theta)]^{-1}\ d\theta with  a > \frac{1}{2}
    I'm supposed to use a substitution of  t = tan(\frac{\theta}{2}) but I don't know why.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you have a fraction with trig in the denominator, this substitution is often the way to go.

I can send you a Powerpoint on the topic if you pm me with an email address.

ReputationRep:
    What are the a's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    What are the a's?
    The a's are constants that are greater than 1/2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBKProductions)
    The a's are constants that are greater than 1/2.
    Okay I was just wondering whether or not they were a variable that was greater than a half. Which would probably make this very difficult to solve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Okay I was just wondering whether or not they were a variable that was greater than a half. Which would probably make this very difficult to solve.
    Hmmm...it doesn't actually say a is a constant but just a > 1/2 so i assumed it was....I doubt it would be a variable anyway but not too sure now.

ReputationRep:
    I've been stuck on this question for a while now, would appreciate it if anyone can help me on the following integral.
    Evaluate  \displaystyle\int^\frac{\pi}{2}_  0 [a+(a-1)cos(\theta)]^{-1}\ d\theta with  a > \frac{1}{2}
    I'm supposed to use a substitution of  t = tan(\frac{\theta}{2}) but I don't know why.
    If you haven't received Mr M's powerpoint yet, try to manipulate t=\tan (\frac{\theta}{2}) to find an expression for \cos \theta and \dfrac{d\theta}{dt} in terms of t and then just carry out the substitution like any other you would do (don't forget to change your limits).

Hint for finding \cos \theta - Notice that \tan 2\theta = \dfrac{2\tan \theta}{1+\tan ^2\theta}, therefore \tan \theta = \dfrac{2\tan \frac{\theta}{2}}{1+\tan ^2\frac{\theta}{2}} = \dfrac{2t}{1+t^2}.

ReputationRep:
    See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_substitution

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Just another question. If I have an integral that has trig in the denominator that isn't the standard arcsin, arccos or arctan integrals. Would the substitution of  t=tan(\frac{\theta}{2}) always work?

ReputationRep:
    Which module is this from? Looks a bit harder than C4, which is all the core I've done to date. Teaching myself FP2 and FP3 is going to be a blast next year. >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack-)
    Which module is this from? Looks a bit harder than C4, which is all the core I've done to date. Teaching myself FP2 and FP3 is going to be a blast next year. >.<
    I'm a first year undergraduate and this is one of my practice questions. Although this is probably in further maths but I have no idea which module it will be in. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack-)
    I did this at FP2 but I'm also doing it in my maths module of engineering at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year undergraduate and this is one of my practice questions. Although this is probably in further maths but I have no idea which module it will be in. Sorry.
    Ah I see.
    (Original post by Kasc)
    I did this at FP2 but I'm also doing it in my maths module of engineering at the moment.
    Ah so its in FP2 then, thanks.

How is maths at university in comparison to A levels (or anything equal)?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing maths, and I'm only in my first year.

It's basically A Level theory applied to more difficult problems and a hint of further maths.

I imagine a maths degree would cover what I'm doing in one module only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack-)
    Ah I see.

Ah so its in FP2 then, thanks.

How is maths at university in comparison to A levels (or anything equal)?
    I find maths at university a lot harder than A levels, some lecturer's go really quick with the work and it's hard to keep up with it. The amount of work we get is a lot in comparison to a levels, we have loads of assessed and unassessed coursework. It's very independent, which is why I find it so much harder. I miss being spoon-fed.

ReputationRep:
    Independent you say? Personally I'm really looking forward to that side of university, but maybe thats just because I dont know exactly how it will be!

ReputationRep:
    You may like it. Some do some don't, I know I don't. But I do like the holidays, we get so much time off!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.