Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay this is going to be a really weird (and quite possibly a long winded question)

I'm trying to come up with an example of when I've shown resilience in a challenging or difficult situation. The only think I could think of is when I worked in a small seasonal shop a few years ago a man tried to pay for his items with a Scottish bank note, I knew we didn't accept them and I told him that. He started complaining and become very agitated. After ringing my manager to confirm to the man that we did not accept the bank notes, I can't remember exactly what I suggested after. I may have said there were ATM machines nearby so he could withdraw money but I've just thought that if he were from scotland, would his bank cards work in England? Is my memory completely rubbish and that's not possible? I may have said there was a post office nearby also, do most post offices exchange money there and then?

If anyone could answer this (potentially stupid question, don't hurt me!) I would be most grateful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald Lies)
    Okay this is going to be a really weird (and quite possibly a long winded question)

I'm trying to come up with an example of when I've shown resilience in a challenging or difficult situation. The only think I could think of is when I worked in a small seasonal shop a few years ago a man tried to pay for his items with a Scottish bank note, I knew we didn't accept them and I told him that. He started complaining and become very agitated. After ringing my manager to confirm to the man that we did not accept the bank notes, I can't remember exactly what I suggested after. I may have said there were ATM machines nearby so he could withdraw money but I've just thought that if he were from scotland, would his bank cards work in England? Is my memory completely rubbish and that's not possible? I may have said there was a post office nearby also, do most post offices exchange money there and then?

If anyone could answer this (potentially stupid question, don't hurt me!) I would be most grateful!
    ATMs would work fine, post office probably would (but doesn't have to) exchange notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinchenko)
    ATMs would work fine, post office probably would (but doesn't have to) exchange notes.
    Ah brilliant, I was sitting here thinking...."now how did I resolve the situation? Did I tell him about the ATM down the road?" Then I just thought to myself.....well if he's from scotland will his bank cards/debit cards work here?

I was having a right daft moment! Thanks for settling that for me, I may use that example now! (tbh I can't think of anything else, I even feel like I'm clutching at straws with this one)

ReputationRep:

It is illegal to refuse Scottish money south of the border - your manager is an idiot.

Edit: Once I actually experienced a time where I went to England but I thought I needed English notes so I exchanged some Scottish 20s north of the border. As soon as I arrived and bought lunch, got a Scottish fiver as change... :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Electronica)
    It is illegal to refuse Scottish money south of the border - your manager is an idiot.

Edit: Once I actually experienced a time where I went to England but I thought I needed English notes so I exchanged some Scottish 20s north of the border. As soon as I arrived and bought lunch, got a Scottish fiver as change... :P
    This is total nonsense. I could decide I only wanted paying in 20p pieces if I wanted. I might not have many customers but it isn't a crime.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think it was illegal, as in 2009 there was a legal bid to make shops accept scottish banknotes, which means that shops had the right to refuse them.

ReputationRep:

It's not illegal but it is the same currency so OP should've accepted it.

OP if you are going to put this on a application form for somewhere you will sound like an idiot.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Conorrr)
    It's not illegal but it is the same currency so OP should've accepted it.

OP if you are going to put this on a application form for somewhere you will sound like an idiot.
    No it's down to shop policy. If their manager has told them not to accept Scottish notes then they could well face disciplinary action for doing so. We do accept Scottish and NI notes but former firms haven't. It's all to do with your banking arrangements. If your business bank provider, charge you more to process Scottish notes, you may not want to accept them. This is aside from concerns that, as staff are less familiar with them, it's easier to end up with fakes. The problem is that often customers won't accept them as change so you have to pay to swap them for other notes or bank them as change that you've previously paid to collect from the bank. Each business is well within their rights to weigh up the pros and cons themselves and choose to accept the notes or otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask, why are shops in England not legally obligated to accept Scottish money when it is legal tender? Obviously they have the right to reject money if they believe it is forged, but why can they decide to just reject all Scottish money?? (some shops actually put up signs saying that they don't accept scottish money!).

In response to OP, I agree with Vinchenko.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I won't use that as an example.

On Ive used before was when I was at college we were oding a group presenation and that on the day we had several members off so we had to re arrange things etc not the best I know

ReputationRep:

'Legal tender' only applies when you're paying for something that's already happened - like if you ate at a restaurant, you'd be obliged to pay in legal tender and not say, demand the restaurant owner accept an ox as part-payment! Otherwise, people can accept whatever the hell they like as payment...as it happens, only english banknotes are legal tender in England - in Scotland, no banknotes are legal tender, only £1 and £2 coins. So, it is NEVER illegal to refuse to accept scottish money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    Yeah I won't use that as an example.

On Ive used before was when I was at college we were oding a group presenation and that on the day we had several members off so we had to re arrange things etc not the best I know
    Thank-you for your help, I actually have something similar but for teamworking. Basically, I'm back to square one.

ReputationRep:
    Er, no. It is not even illegal to refuse to accept Scottish banknotes in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    Scottish notes are a pain. were meant to scan all notes under a blue light that makes patterns appear on certain parts but I have no idea what the Scottish ones are meant to look like. and I left a Scottish note in the till ones and forgot about it, automatically took the note out of the section to give to another customer as change without really looking at it.. NEVER AGAIN.
    NI ones are even worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hammer 24)
    Can I ask, why are shops in England not legally obligated to accept Scottish money when it is legal tender? Obviously they have the right to reject money if they believe it is forged, but why can they decide to just reject all Scottish money?? (some shops actually put up signs saying that they don't accept scottish money!).

In response to OP, I agree with Vinchenko.
    See my post - scottish notes are NEVER considered legal tender.

ReputationRep:

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:

Yes I can't stand it when shops in England don't take Scottish money! It seems to happen all the time though, annoyingly. Normally I don't even notice which country my notes are from, but if I go to England I end up having to beg a shop to take pity on me (the last time I did this I harassed the person with the Glasgow accent, as I thought they might sympathise )

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you for your help, I actually have something similar but for teamworking. Basically, I'm back to square one.
    Yeah they are bad questions its really testing your ability to bull****

ReputationRep:
    Your manager sounds like an idiot. It's the same currency

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Your manager sounds like an idiot. It's the same currency
    It isn't. Scottish money is a promissary note - a promise by the bank to provide you with legal tender on demand. They are accepted as currency in Scotland through custom, not through nay legal obligation to accept them.

However, I completely agree that it's a royal pain in the arse when you can't spend them in England.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.