The Student Room Group

uni choice help! birmingham or sheffield

im doin psychology, and really cant decide between the two
brummie is apparently 3rd best for research but then aren't all undergrad courses identical? but in other rankings sheffied is higher, especially for student satisfaction.
therefore im not too bothered bout rankings, or accommadation

i prefer the campus and department in brummie,
but i prefer the city in sheffield (and the people seem nicer.. or is that just a stereotype)
everytime i ask friends they say sheffield over brumm, because everyone has a bad stigma of brummi, but is it really that bad?
any ideas anyone? thanks
I should be able to help you here having firmed Birmingham last year and Sheffield this year. Imo there is little to separate them in terms of reputation so you have to look at which course you prefer- this has to be the most important factor.
Sheffield is a fantastic student city- good nightlife, the best SU in the country, culture and you've got the Peak District on your doorstep. The cost of living is cheap plus the student villages have got great communal atmospheres. Birmingham's campus is fantastic and they have lots going on throughout the year but I found that the accommodation was v. expensive- especially at the Vale. On balance I'd choose Sheffield but I'm sure you would have just as good a time at Birms.
Reply 2
Original post by kbountra

I should be able to help you here having firmed Birmingham last year and Sheffield this year. Imo there is little to separate them in terms of reputation so you have to look at which course you prefer- this has to be the most important factor.
Sheffield is a fantastic student city- good nightlife, the best SU in the country, culture and you've got the Peak District on your doorstep. The cost of living is cheap plus the student villages have got great communal atmospheres. Birmingham's campus is fantastic and they have lots going on throughout the year but I found that the accommodation was v. expensive- especially at the Vale. On balance I'd choose Sheffield but I'm sure you would have just as good a time at Birms.

thanks, i need to have a rethink now
btw what and how did you firm 2 unis in 2 years?
Original post by PsyChris
thanks, i need to have a rethink now
btw what and how did you firm 2 unis in 2 years?

Last year I firmed Birmingham for Dentistry but I decided to change subject and am now going to be doing Biochemistry at Sheffield
Reply 4

Last year I firmed Birmingham for Dentistry but I decided to change subject and am now going to be doing Biochemistry at Sheffield

wow, quite a change, must say biochemistry does sound more intersting , so good luck with it.
Reply 5
My friend did psychology at sheffield undergrad, masters and now got offered a phd place. She loves the department, apparently there's lots of interesting research.

Sheffield is an awesome place to live, I've decided to stay here. It doesn't feel like a big city with lots of small communities. Massive climbing scene should that be your thing :smile:
Reply 6
Birmingham's an awesome city and the student areas are awesome, i absolutely love selly oak (where most student live 2nd year+) plus the campus and SU is awesome
Reply 7
Original post by climber

Original post by climber
My friend did psychology at sheffield undergrad, masters and now got offered a phd place. She loves the department, apparently there's lots of interesting research.

Sheffield is an awesome place to live, I've decided to stay here. It doesn't feel like a big city with lots of small communities. Massive climbing scene should that be your thing :smile:

never tried climbing, but judging by ur name u must quite like it, lol
anyway howcome everyone says its like a village, when it has over half a million population?
Reply 8
Original post by Charlieee_

Original post by Charlieee_
Birmingham's an awesome city and the student areas are awesome, i absolutely love selly oak (where most student live 2nd year+) plus the campus and SU is awesome

cheers mate
Original post by PsyChris
never tried climbing, but judging by ur name u must quite like it, lol
anyway howcome everyone says its like a village, when it has over half a million population?

Because Sheffield has a really friendly 'atmosphere'. Have you been to an open day yet? This is something that people always comment on when they visit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending