Turn on thread page Beta

uni choice help! birmingham or sheffield watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im doin psychology, and really cant decide between the two
    brummie is apparently 3rd best for research but then aren't all undergrad courses identical? but in other rankings sheffied is higher, especially for student satisfaction.
    therefore im not too bothered bout rankings, or accommadation

i prefer the campus and department in brummie,
    but i prefer the city in sheffield (and the people seem nicer.. or is that just a stereotype)
    everytime i ask friends they say sheffield over brumm, because everyone has a bad stigma of brummi, but is it really that bad?
    any ideas anyone? thanks

ReputationRep:
    I should be able to help you here having firmed Birmingham last year and Sheffield this year. Imo there is little to separate them in terms of reputation so you have to look at which course you prefer- this has to be the most important factor.
    Sheffield is a fantastic student city- good nightlife, the best SU in the country, culture and you've got the Peak District on your doorstep. The cost of living is cheap plus the student villages have got great communal atmospheres. Birmingham's campus is fantastic and they have lots going on throughout the year but I found that the accommodation was v. expensive- especially at the Vale. On balance I'd choose Sheffield but I'm sure you would have just as good a time at Birms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    I should be able to help you here having firmed Birmingham last year and Sheffield this year. Imo there is little to separate them in terms of reputation so you have to look at which course you prefer- this has to be the most important factor.
    Sheffield is a fantastic student city- good nightlife, the best SU in the country, culture and you've got the Peak District on your doorstep. The cost of living is cheap plus the student villages have got great communal atmospheres. Birmingham's campus is fantastic and they have lots going on throughout the year but I found that the accommodation was v. expensive- especially at the Vale. On balance I'd choose Sheffield but I'm sure you would have just as good a time at Birms.
    thanks, i need to have a rethink now
    btw what and how did you firm 2 unis in 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsyChris)
    thanks, i need to have a rethink now
    btw what and how did you firm 2 unis in 2 years?
    Last year I firmed Birmingham for Dentistry but I decided to change subject and am now going to be doing Biochemistry at Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Last year I firmed Birmingham for Dentistry but I decided to change subject and am now going to be doing Biochemistry at Sheffield
    wow, quite a change, must say biochemistry does sound more intersting , so good luck with it.

ReputationRep:
    My friend did psychology at sheffield undergrad, masters and now got offered a phd place. She loves the department, apparently there's lots of interesting research.

Sheffield is an awesome place to live, I've decided to stay here. It doesn't feel like a big city with lots of small communities. Massive climbing scene should that be your thing

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham's an awesome city and the student areas are awesome, i absolutely love selly oak (where most student live 2nd year+) plus the campus and SU is awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by climber)
    My friend did psychology at sheffield undergrad, masters and now got offered a phd place. She loves the department, apparently there's lots of interesting research.

Sheffield is an awesome place to live, I've decided to stay here. It doesn't feel like a big city with lots of small communities. Massive climbing scene should that be your thing
    never tried climbing, but judging by ur name u must quite like it, lol
    anyway howcome everyone says its like a village, when it has over half a million population?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlieee_)
    Birmingham's an awesome city and the student areas are awesome, i absolutely love selly oak (where most student live 2nd year+) plus the campus and SU is awesome
    cheers mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsyChris)
    never tried climbing, but judging by ur name u must quite like it, lol
    anyway howcome everyone says its like a village, when it has over half a million population?
    Because Sheffield has a really friendly 'atmosphere'. Have you been to an open day yet? This is something that people always comment on when they visit.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.