Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. Watch

Is anyone on fluoxetine??

Ive been prescribed 60mg/day Im concerned about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is anyone on fluoxetine??

Ive been prescribed 60mg/day Im concerned about it
    I've been on it for....um...at least 8 months I think. And before that I've been on other SSRIs.

Anyway, I haven't had any ad side effects from it, and it is one of the easier anti-depressants to come off, not giving you so many withdrawal symptoms.

However, as for its abilities is helping me mentally, I wouldn't say it has been much help. My parents tell me I am less anxious and irritable when on fluoxetine, but my depression/anorexia/dissosciation is just the same. 60mg is quite a high does by the way, you may experience a few side effects if you're not already on anything.

Still, just because it doesn't help me in the way I would like, doesn't mean that it won't help you And as I'm sure you've been told, it can take 6 weeks or longer for the meds to kick in and start working, so you have to be patient.

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antiaris)
    I know this might be a daft Q, but do people know if you have to insert information about eating disorders in a personal statement for UCAS? I'm applying to do Nutrition and Food Consumer Science in Reading, and I'm not certain if ;
    a) I should mention it in disabilities (It listed depression as a disability so...)
    b) I should mention it in my personal statement (Probably shouldn't. "I grew a great passion for nutrition when I developed an eating disorder and began wondering if carrots would make me fat...")(ON THE OTHER HAND I COULD say it made me appreciate the importance of nutrition more whilst RECOVERING from this eating disorder...)
    I wouldn't mention it in a PS but then you are entering a field where quite a few people with histories of EDs seem to gravitate so I'm not sure it would be very unusual. But I've heard so many conflicting things... my ex dietician said people with EDs aren't allowed to do dietetic type courses so I don't know! If you stress that you're recovering and mention how your knowledge in nutrition helped your recovery and how you'd like to learn more/help others, I'm sure it wil be ok. When I was applying, I just said I had one or more mental illness on the UCAS form- I don't think you can actually say you have an ED on the form, they have general categories if I remember correctly... I might be wrong though! My reference didn't specify anything and just said that I'd been unwell to explain my missing year. You could try to get your reference to mention it?
    xxx

two dietetics i met are skinny. why?

ReputationRep:
    Checked.

A few courses have issues, some don't. It's something I've got to check with the course first.

But a bit of a downer. I have an A, B and a C in A-Level with a Biology As-Level at C. They ask for 320 points.

I have 340.

They then expand. 320 Points in the equivalent of 3 A Levels. I have 300 at A-Level. Pooped. :[

So problem compounded.

Oh, as I said I pop in my paintings, v. small.

http://scrambledmarmalade.blogspot.com/

ReputationRep:
    Checked.

A few courses have issues, some don't. It's something I've got to check with the course first.

But a bit of a downer. I have an A, B and a C in A-Level with a Biology As-Level at C. They ask for 320 points.

I have 340.

They then expand. 320 Points in the equivalent of 3 A Levels. I have 300 at A-Level. Pooped. :[

So problem compounded.

Lovely paintings

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick. :sad: I have a throat infection. I thought it was just a cold so I didn't bother seeing a doctor as I thought it would go away and then it changed into a sore throat and then it changed into a cough and then it changed into a chesty cough with dizziness, weakness, hot and cold bouts, nausea and chest pains. I finally went to the doctor this morning and she said that I probably caught a virus that caused the cold and then because my immune system was weakened, I caught another virus on top of it. I've been told to rest, drink water and take paracetamol, 3 things I hate doing. :rolleyes:
    She said if it's not gone in a week, she'll do a blood test for glandular fever. Hopefully it will be gone by then... it's been 3 weeks already. I'm so annoyed because I felt so faint that I missed my creative writing class, I've been trying to keep warm to see if it helps but I'm missing the theatre show I was meant to review for the student newspaper and I really wanted to see the show and be published. I feel unreliable and unproductive. I think I saw blood in my phlegm (sorry for TMI) and I'm just not happy. I hate being sick. It just ****s me off because I have better things to do than staying in bed and resting! And now I'm too damn dizzy to go and get some Vitamin C pills/oranges. My mum keeps saying 'I told you so' because she told me to go to the doctor weeks ago and she's been going on about the lack of vitamins/minerals in my diet for ages so she's kind of like 'I knew you'd get ill.' I rarely get ill! Now I'm annoyed at myself because if I actually ate things with nutrients in it, I might not have got so sick! I stocked up on dried fruit yesterday so hopefully it will do me some good. So... I'm slowly eliminating the **** from my diet and replacing it with healthy foods. I'm enjoying avocado again even though it still scares me. It's not like any safe foods exist for me anymore so I might as well try to eat healthy things when they all scare me. Maybe this virus is a blessing in disguise, I can't just keep eating and living the way I am without being sick and it reminds me of my approach to my ED. I ignore it and then it gets worse and I miss out on things. I can't let that happen again. I just want to be frigging better already!
    /moan

On the upside, I booked an appointment with my GP for monitoring. I just can't wait to go home now. This university thing is exhausting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    I'm sick. :sad: I have a throat infection. I thought it was just a cold so I didn't bother seeing a doctor as I thought it would go away and then it changed into a sore throat and then it changed into a cough and then it changed into a chesty cough with dizziness, weakness, hot and cold bouts, nausea and chest pains. I finally went to the doctor this morning and she said that I probably caught a virus that caused the cold and then because my immune system was weakened, I caught another virus on top of it. I've been told to rest, drink water and take paracetamol, 3 things I hate doing. :rolleyes:
    She said if it's not gone in a week, she'll do a blood test for glandular fever. Hopefully it will be gone by then... it's been 3 weeks already. I'm so annoyed because I felt so faint that I missed my creative writing class, I've been trying to keep warm to see if it helps but I'm missing the theatre show I was meant to review for the student newspaper and I really wanted to see the show and be published. I feel unreliable and unproductive. I think I saw blood in my phlegm (sorry for TMI) and I'm just not happy. I hate being sick. It just ****s me off because I have better things to do than staying in bed and resting! And now I'm too damn dizzy to go and get some Vitamin C pills/oranges. My mum keeps saying 'I told you so' because she told me to go to the doctor weeks ago and she's been going on about the lack of vitamins/minerals in my diet for ages so she's kind of like 'I knew you'd get ill.' I rarely get ill! Now I'm annoyed at myself because if I actually ate things with nutrients in it, I might not have got so sick! I stocked up on dried fruit yesterday so hopefully it will do me some good. So... I'm slowly eliminating the **** from my diet and replacing it with healthy foods. I'm enjoying avocado again even though it still scares me. It's not like any safe foods exist for me anymore so I might as well try to eat healthy things when they all scare me. Maybe this virus is a blessing in disguise, I can't just keep eating and living the way I am without being sick and it reminds me of my approach to my ED. I ignore it and then it gets worse and I miss out on things. I can't let that happen again. I just want to be frigging better already!
    /moan

On the upside, I booked an appointment with my GP for monitoring. I just can't wait to go home now. This university thing is exhausting.
    I'm the opposite right now. My blood pressure seems to have dropped too low again because I feel cold, dizzy and light=-headed a lot, sometimes chest pains, but no-one will believe me about it anymore, so I'm riding it out and forcing myself to eat a bit of junk to raise sodium levels until the doctor sees it in a fortnight : / Try to remember, part of productivity is to know when it's time to be passive. We don't always have to be doing something for someone to justify our being here, we need rest and recuperation, and you especially now being ill, Diamond (think about it, most people don't even move for any more than 2 hours a day!)
    Sure there'll be loads more opportunities to review stuff :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Checked.

I have 340.

So problem compounded.

All your paintings are lovely but I especially like the 3rd one.
    :hugs: You could still apply as a risky choice? You never know, they might like you so much that they ignore that part of the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    I'm the opposite right now. My blood pressure seems to have dropped too low again because I feel cold, dizzy and light=-headed a lot, sometimes chest pains, but no-one will believe me about it anymore, so I'm riding it out and forcing myself to eat a bit of junk to raise sodium levels until the doctor sees it in a fortnight : / Try to remember, part of productivity is to know when it's time to be passive. We don't always have to be doing something for someone to justify our being here, we need rest and recuperation, and you especially now being ill, Diamond (think about it, most people don't even move for any more than 2 hours a day!)
    Sure there'll be loads more opportunities to review stuff :hugs:
    :hugs: I'm sorry you feel crappy! Why don't people believe you? :sad: And thanks, you're totally right of course!

ReputationRep:
    Major major landmark. Dominos pizza. I'm pretty much in shock right now - haven't eaten it since my food problems started. Really really happy though - and i'm amazed at how much more energy I have compared to a few hours ago.

Basically i'm forcing myself to try and stay healthy because university is just TOO important to compromise.

Edit: and i know dominos isn't exactly healthy.... but in my situation it was better than passing out and not getting my case study work done!!

Millionth Edit:

It was a major potential trigger when a girl in my house said "Woah you ordered a whole pizza and side for yourself?"

Me: Yes... But I haven't eaten it all

Her: 'Judgemental face' "Bloody hell"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinamon)
    Major major landmark. Dominos pizza. I'm pretty much in shock right now - haven't eaten it since my food problems started. Really really happy though - and i'm amazed at how much more energy I have compared to a few hours ago.

Basically i'm forcing myself to try and stay healthy because university is just TOO important to compromise.

Edit: and i know dominos isn't exactly healthy.... but in my situation it was better than passing out and not getting my case study work done!!

Millionth Edit:

It was a major potential trigger when a girl in my house said "Woah you ordered a whole pizza and side for yourself?"

:hugs: I feel like pizza now! Brilliant achievement hun And screw that girl. I wish people just wouldn't comment on what other people eat/look like but unfortunately, they do. Well done in not letting it get you down! So proud of you/happy for you!

Millionth Edit:

Baaah I hate it when people do that... But I'm very proud of you
    I used to eat whole pizzas :moon:

WELL DONE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    xxx
    I hope you feel better soon hun :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Cinamon, you're a hero!

ReputationRep:
    I hope you feel better soon hun :hugs:
    Thank you.
    I hope you know that you're amazing!

ReputationRep:

Millionth Edit:

University really is. And all she's proven is she's bound to society's stupid, hypocritical laws of "propriety".
    Pizza isn't really unhealthy. A staple diet of pizza, maybe, but as the cheeky weekender? Does us some good to blow off some steam once in a while. And besides, health is as much a mental state as a physical state, especially at our tender age. Healthy is happy. If you're as strong mentally as this as much as possible, well you're gonna feel pretty darn healthy and happy!
    Having made such a fuss about a much less challenging Dominos the other day, I can honestly say: Cinamon, you're a legend. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Cinamon, I'm genuinely so proud of you for taking that next step to "normality" (if such a concept truly exists in this world!).

Getting a pizza takeaway is a totally commonplace thing for all of my friends and family and I'd love to participate in it too, soon.

I keep making decent progress and then foolishly listening to the ED's bad suggestions, doing stupid, pointless things.

Spoiler:
    Show
    For example, last night my friends and I went out for drinks, and I was so unbelievably happy to have a good ol' drink with them and have great fun. When I got home I had a big bowl of cheerios and went to bed buzzing! Great time. Then when I got up, I went to the loo, turned on the shower, and before I got in... I felt compelled... to weigh myself. What a buffoon. I knew it couldn't be real weight gain but I went from 97.6 to 101.6 overnight despite having about 1900-2000 kcals for the entire day yesterday; those arbitrary numbers shocked and scared me into tears, and in a single act of stupid weakness, allowing the ED to coax me into something like WEIGHING myself, it caused unnecessary hardship emotionally where I know I could've avoided it.

I look forward to the day when I can be called up impromptu and just "go for lunch" without having to plan things weeks in advance to "prepare".

(Original post by TotoMimo)
    Cinamon, I'm genuinely so proud of you for taking that next step to "normality" (if such a concept truly exists in this world!).

Getting a pizza takeaway is a totally commonplace thing for all of my friends and family and I'd love to participate in it too, soon.

I keep making decent progress and then foolishly listening to the ED's bad suggestions, doing stupid, pointless things.

Spoiler:
    Show
    For example, last night my friends and I went out for drinks, and I was so unbelievably happy to have a good ol' drink with them and have great fun. When I got home I had a big bowl of cheerios and went to bed buzzing! Great time. Then when I got up, I went to the loo, turned on the shower, and before I got in... I felt compelled... to weigh myself. What a buffoon. I knew it couldn't be real weight gain but I went from 97.6 to 101.6 overnight despite having about 1900-2000 kcals for the entire day yesterday; those arbitrary numbers shocked and scared me into tears, and in a single act of stupid weakness, allowing the ED to coax me into something like WEIGHING myself, it caused unnecessary hardship emotionally where I know I could've avoided it.

I look forward to the day when I can be called up impromptu and just "go for lunch" without having to plan things weeks in advance to "prepare".

:hugs: pretty sure it's all water! If you went out for drinks you must've had quite a bit of liquid...

I put a bit of cream in my sauce today It was delicious!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. I am actually not feeling the urge to restrict today despite the food yesterday (and for breakfast :teehee: ). Every time I have an ED thought I think 'Yes I know I could do this, but I know it's something I wouldn't advise to anyone else - so I need to take my own advice'

I can assure you guys that i'm no hero - the thoughts are still there, and i'm in no way stable with this... But have to take the good as it comes The one thing i'm definitely not going to do is convince myself that i'm all better and cured.... because that's when it can creep back.

I'm also proud of each and everyone one of you guys too. It's really tough - especially when you're forced out of your usual routines and environments. But that means it's better time than any. There is so much more to us than our weight and it doesn't have to be linked to the control we have on the other parts of our lives.

Toto, same here. Gained 2lb since yesterday morning, which is ridiculous. You know it's not real weight gain so try and give yourself a break and don't allow yourself to be cheekily happy when you see the 101.6 go down.

Yay Anon

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.