Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've dropped a jeans size since I started uni... this is not going to end well. This is getting more than a little bit scary.
    oooh dear. does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    oooh dear. does anyone know?
    The thing is, I was supposed to be losing a small amount of weight (was on a medication that made me put on a load of weight as a side-effect, went from underweight to slightly overweight) without trying so people aren't noticing that the amount I'm losing and how rapidly it's happening isn't normal/healthy.

im just looking for some help or advice really
    i have always been very slim i could eat macdonalds and crap and not put on weight

but 6 weeks ago i broke up with my boyfriend and i was so hurt i couldnt eat, i lost 4 stone and dropped from a dress size 8 to a 2 too size 4, im now eating but sometimes when im sad i cant eat and im not putting on weight but everybody thinks im starving myself on purpose but im not im just neever hungary this is not an eating disorder is it as im not purposefully starving myself i want to put on weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyMilly)
    i have always been very slim i could eat macdonalds and crap and not put on weight

but 6 weeks ago i broke up with my boyfriend and i was so hurt i couldnt eat, i lost 4 stone and dropped from a dress size 8 to a 2 too size 4, im now eating but sometimes when im sad i cant eat and im not putting on weight but everybody thinks im starving myself on purpose but im not im just neever hungary this is not an eating disorder is it as im not purposefully starving myself i want to put on weight
    4stone in 6 weeks!!! no wonder people are concerned!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyMilly)

You don't have to be starving yourself to have an eating disorder 'disordered eating' is just extremely unhealthy eating habits, which is exactly what you're described :erm: Have you seen your GP? They could help you figure out a good diet to improve your weight

Pot. trigger

Spoiler:
    Show
    I just wanted to count calories today so I would be scared into not binging. Well, I'm up to 748kcals now. I know I should probably double that, but I'm scared of eating any more. It'll only make me lose control and then I'll be sitting next to the toilet all night. And now the craving is coming back. For sweets. What to do, what to do. And I can't go to bed as I slept a lot in the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Pot. trigger

Spoiler:
    Show
    I just wanted to count calories today so I would be scared into not binging. Well, I'm up to 748kcals now. I know I should probably double that, but I'm scared of eating any more. It'll only make me lose control and then I'll be sitting next to the toilet all night. And now the craving is coming back. For sweets. What to do, what to do. And I can't go to bed as I slept a lot in the day.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You could try eating a defined amount of something (ie make or get a serving of it, and then take it away from where you got it from so it is clear when it's time to stop), and of something which doesn't trigger bingeing? So, not sweets I guess, maybe something savoury.. I'm not sure what to suggest because I don't want to trigger you, but something fairly filling without making you want to binge.. :erm:

(Original post by Amwazicles)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You could try eating a defined amount of something (ie make or get a serving of it, and then take it away from where you got it from so it is clear when it's time to stop), and of something which doesn't trigger bingeing? So, not sweets I guess, maybe something savoury.. I'm not sure what to suggest because I don't want to trigger you, but something fairly filling without making you want to binge.. :erm:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thank you, I guess I could try just plain pasta... Although I can binge on anything to be honest. I'm weighing everything out at the moment but the last thing I weighed was a slice of bread and I could hear a little voice in my mind say "go on, just slap the cheese on, you know you want it" and to be fair I could eat an entire big slab of cheese worth 1000kcals in 5 minutes... It's getting harder and harder as the day progresses, maybe I'm trying TOO hard? Seeing as yesterday I had three episodes of binging (and p) in one day

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thank you, I guess I could try just plain pasta... Although I can binge on anything to be honest. I'm weighing everything out at the moment but the last thing I weighed was a slice of bread and I could hear a little voice in my mind say "go on, just slap the cheese on, you know you want it" and to be fair I could eat an entire big slab of cheese worth 1000kcals in 5 minutes... It's getting harder and harder as the day progresses, maybe I'm trying TOO hard? Seeing as yesterday I had three episodes of binging (and p) in one day
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I see what you mean. My instinctive advice (although I'm not claiming to know you or know what's best for you personally) would be not *not* weigh or measure an amount of something. I feel like that would be more likely to trigger anxiety and the urge to binge (and/or restrict I suppose). Try making a medium amount of plain pasta if you think that might be a good food for you to have - maybe just take a handful (no more than you can pick up with one hand) and cook that amount? That way, you're not weighing/measuring too precisely, but you're giving yourself a definite limit to how much you are having. Also, if it's something cooked, then might it be easier to resist bingeing? Because once you've finished the pasta serving, you can't have any more quickly (without cooking more)?
    What do you mean by getting harder as the day progresses? Harder to eat, harder not to binge..?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I see what you mean. My instinctive advice (although I'm not claiming to know you or know what's best for you personally) would be not *not* weigh or measure an amount of something. I feel like that would be more likely to trigger anxiety and the urge to binge (and/or restrict I suppose). Try making a medium amount of plain pasta if you think that might be a good food for you to have - maybe just take a handful (no more than you can pick up with one hand) and cook that amount? That way, you're not weighing/measuring too precisely, but you're giving yourself a definite limit to how much you are having. Also, if it's something cooked, then might it be easier to resist bingeing? Because once you've finished the pasta serving, you can't have any more quickly (without cooking more)?
    What do you mean by getting harder as the day progresses? Harder to eat, harder not to binge..?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thank you, that's been really helpful. Yeah, cooking something is a good idea, it's just that our cupboards are full of random stuff I can just grab and eat and those things are pretty close to the pasta! But I'll just put tunnel vision on And yeah, the urge to binge gets stronger the later at night it is But I'll try your idea :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thank you, that's been really helpful. Yeah, cooking something is a good idea, it's just that our cupboards are full of random stuff I can just grab and eat and those things are pretty close to the pasta! But I'll just put tunnel vision on And yeah, the urge to binge gets stronger the later at night it is But I'll try your idea :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Good luck Enjoy your healthy meal I hope I haven't been completely useless Goodnight! :hugs:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Good luck Enjoy your healthy meal I hope I haven't been completely useless Goodnight! :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not useless at all :hugs: just wanted to update you, had some supernoodle-type things and an apple, I'm at least over the 1k mark

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not useless at all :hugs: just wanted to update you, had some supernoodle-type things and an apple, I'm at least over the 1k mark
    That's great, well done :jumphug:

Mmm, I fancy an apple now

(Original post by .snowflake.)
    4stone in 6 weeks!!! no wonder people are concerned!!
    I know i hate it i look HORRIBLE i want to put onweight so badly, i just found that my way to deal with being hurt and dumped was to go into overdrive of keeping myself busy and this usuallly included going to the gym and exercising but then feeling sad and not eating and the weight has just dropped off. I hate being so skinny i cant find clothes to fit in a shop, my hair is coming out im freezing all the time

ReputationRep:
    Just been made to feel like a right plank in front of the gp. :sigh:

I went to see him because my chest pains have been more frequent lately, and he asked me how long they would last for, and when I told him they lasted for about a minute or so at a time he sorta chuckled and said "That's very normal really, I could give you medication but if the pain is gone in a minute there would be no point in taking it. You have no reason to be concerned if they're that short."

:cry2: I feel so embarrassed.. like I completely overreacted. I didn't even want to go to the doctors but my friend made me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briesandwich)

I went to see him because my chest pains have been more frequent lately, and he asked me how long they would last for, and when I told him they lasted for about a minute or so at a time he sorta chuckled and said "That's very normal really, I could give you medication but if the pain is gone in a minute there would be no point in taking it. You have no reason to be concerned if they're that short."

:cry2: I feel so embarrassed.. like I completely overreacted. I didn't even want to go to the doctors but my friend made me.

No need to be embarassed. It's a natural reaction for a person concenred about their weelbeing to make. If you've committed yourself to getting well that you'll get anxious about potentially harmful sensations that might have resulted from the ED. You've done the right thing though-it COULD have been serious, but it wasn't so you've nothing to worry about. Now let this be an extra incentive to fight it and make sure it stays that way!
    Spoiler:
    Show

If it's any compensation, the amount of visits I've made to the GP over pains I suspected to do with disordered eating has me registered as borderline hypochondriac

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briesandwich)

I'm sure it wasn't his intention to make you feel that way! He would have just been trying to make you feel better about it.

ReputationRep:
    5 pounds to gain til my target weight, both excited and nervous to reach it :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by souldoubt)
    5 pounds to gain til my target weight, both excited and nervous to reach it :puppyeyes:
    :hugs: eeeeeee i'm excited for you, so much good will come from it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by souldoubt)
    you can do this dude. If i can get a comment off my german teacher on my essay that 'my accuracy is getting better' when he's deliberately being picky, you can put those last 5lbs on.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.