The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2580
Unfortunately I can't be so optimistic today...

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sophiemay20
Just received a letter from psychological services for a screening assessment/session with a therapist for the end of March.. and to be truthfully honest I think I'm going to cancel it and not ask for another appointment. I'm back to the stage where I don't want to get better, and I think my slot should go to someone who's ready. I've been on and off Fluoxetine for over a month because I just can't cope with the way it makes me feel, I'm meant to be going to the doctor soon and I just can't face him right now. Just feel like a complete mess and I don't know how to handle it. Doesn't help either that I've had the flu for the last 11 days, and my body doesn't seem to want to fight it at all.

Also, does anyone have a person that makes fun of their condition? How do you deal with it? My brother (who's 16) continuously makes gagging noises when he passes me and makes comments and jokes about the fact that I make myself sick. It's just so horribly and triggers me all the time.

Please at least try and see what the appointment is like. Maybe you'll feel different by then as moods tend to rise and fall when we go through this. I've gone back to my not-wanting-help stage too, but I know that may change again when my weight's hit a total "low" again. Don't lose sight of the chance of being free from this, and as for your brother, don't take it to heart. You can do this :hugs:
Reply 2582
Thanks so much for your reply to my post, Disenchanted :smile: It’s really nice to know people understand and this isn’t just me not at all that I’d wish it on anyone. I think sadly a lot of people do think of eating disorders as ‘attention-seeking conditions’ :frown: It’s such a damaging perception when it’s so hard to come forward with this type of thing anyway. It’s so dangerous when sufferers feel they have to hide it. Is your doctor like that? :frown: Some are more sensitive than others. I guess if you have a really arsey doctor you could ask to be transferred but I guess quite a bit of the attention-seeking worry is grounded in our heads, not reality. That doesn’t really make it any easier to deal with! I do hope you manage to get access to CBT if you want to and it helps you I really hope you manage to do that...
You’re absolutely right though and you really understood what I meant. It’s really not much of a life and it’s so ironic that the thing you hold onto for control controls YOU. My counsellor put it very well in that so many stressful/difficult things are happening in my life that self-destructive behaviour, whether it’s the ED or other things I do, are my stress valve... hence I can’t just let go of the ED and ‘allow myself to get better’, as my family and friends seem to think.

Sophiemay, that sounds really tough with your brother re others making fun of your condition :frown: That’s really awful! I imagine that he just doesn’t understand how painful it is for you, and I think that many people just don’t understand how these disorders are beyond our control. Maybe to many of them it’s simplified to the point of “why don’t they just eat?”. Do your parents know about your brother, could they possibly talk to him about it? Even if he can’t understand what it’s like to be in your shoes, just to help him understand that what he’s doing is very upsetting for you.
I’m sorry you’re feeling so low you can’t deal with the appointment right now :frown: I think what Disenchanted said is a really good point if you haven’t cancelled it already... as these things can take so long to set up, it might be a good idea to hold onto it and see how you are feeling closer to the time. I would really recommend that too... I do wish you all the best with it. And I do hope you feel more on top of things soon too and more able to cope. You really go through peaks and troughs, at least I do. I’m in a trough right now and not sure when I’ll get out of it, but sometimes it’s easier to cope than others.

WaterfrontWAR, I’m happy for you about the counselling well done. I know what a massive and terrifying step that is. I’m so glad your friends are supportive of you. I really hope it works out for you. It’s a long process, counselling... I’ve been going for about 3 months, but I find I do come away each time feeling very thoughtful and a bit more calm.

Riku, that sounds like so many difficult things to deal with your revision and worry about your mum on top really doesn’t help. I think it’s so hard to deal with the negative emotionality from other people about us... makes you feel incredibly guilty but helpless as though you want to please them and not cause them hurt, you have the ED on the other shoulder threatening you if you do what they want.
I think it’s true to an extent that due to our genes and metabolic differences and stuff, we put on weight at different rates and in different places, as you compare yourself to your friends. I know how frustrating it is and stating the obvious so unfair! I know some of my original problem and obsession came from looking at attractive co-workers/friends whose weight I happened to know and thinking “when I weigh xkgs I’ll look like them” only I didn’t. (As my boyfriend charmingly put it the other day, some people are “naturally thin”, in contrast I look “unhealthily thin like you've lost a lot of weight very quickly” he didn’t mean it to sound nasty but it upset me a bit, though I know sadly it’s very true and I don’t actually look at my best weighing as little as other people). Ultimately I guess it’s accepting your own body structure for what it is... it’s all about loving and accepting yourself in the end, isn’t it the eternal cliché I guess :smile: but so hard to get there. I’m sorry you had a bad day I hope it starts to get easier :smile: I really admire your lovely welcome to Anon over the page when you were having such a bad day yourself.

This is such a nice forum and I’ve been so encouraged seeing peoples’ messages of support to each other :smile: Thank you... I know that sounds weird because they’re not to me, but... it’s really warming nonetheless. So does being somewhere with people who understand, as Disenchanted said :smile:
Reply 2583
Hey all :smile:

I've been following this thread for a while, because I suspected I might be needing to talk to people who understand before too long...

Potted life history (spoilered for BMI references and triggering websites):

Spoiler

Ta-dah! So here I am. I want to stay safe, and I think talking to people on here and supporting others as well as getting a little support myself will help prevent me from slipping down that path that I reeeeeeeeeally don't want to go down! :biggrin:
Original post by Tilli
Hey all :smile:

I've been following this thread for a while, because I suspected I might be needing to talk to people who understand before too long...

Potted life history (spoilered for BMI references and triggering websites):

Spoiler

Ta-dah! So here I am. I want to stay safe, and I think talking to people on here and supporting others as well as getting a little support myself will help prevent me from slipping down that path that I reeeeeeeeeally don't want to go down! :biggrin:

In reference to the item in bold, we share the same sign. :yep: What I've taken to doing is downloading a website blocker application for my internet browser and listing ANY sites I can think of. Normally I see it as too much of an effort to unblock it again. :tongue: If I do make the effort though, I'm going to get a website blocker with a password and just spam the keyboard so I can never guess it. :h:
Original post by briesandwich
In reference to the item in bold, we share the same sign. :yep: What I've taken to doing is downloading a website blocker application for my internet browser and listing ANY sites I can think of. Normally I see it as too much of an effort to unblock it again. :tongue: If I do make the effort though, I'm going to get a website blocker with a password and just spam the keyboard so I can never guess it. :h:

brie, do you browse the internet with firefox. if yes, get leechblock and I think you can put a password in, or at the very least block them from 0000-2359 all week.
Original post by .snowflake.
brie, do you browse the internet with firefox. if yes, get leechblock and I think you can put a password in, or at the very least block them from 0000-2359 all week.

I use chrome - I have a website blocker which is why I suggested it. :biggrin: So far I've not needed to make a password to stop any "temptation" to look! If I ever convert to firefox I'll keep this in mind though, thanks! :smile:
Original post by briesandwich
I use chrome - I have a website blocker which is why I suggested it. :biggrin: So far I've not needed to make a password to stop any "temptation" to look! If I ever convert to firefox I'll keep this in mind though, thanks! :smile:

Good. Because pro ana website are full of some srsly weird ****.
I know no-one has posted in this forum for aaagesss...but just incase anyone is out there..

I have anorexia (2 years this month since) and am starting to really struggle again.

The problem I'm having is that I have relapsed and know that if I don't get help soon I am going to mess up my 2nd year of A levels...but if I hold out at this weight until I've finished A levels then I will be messing up uni and therefore wasting money..

I have been given the option of going inpatient which would mess up my A levels but maybe it would be best to take some time out..? The issue with this is that I have to go in before I turn 18 in May because that's when insurance runs out...

I just feel sooo stuck because school is my life and I can't function without a routine...but I NEED to lose weight before I can recover or even go inpatient..

Any advice? :frown:
Original post by x-Disenchanted-x
Please at least try and see what the appointment is like. Maybe you'll feel different by then as moods tend to rise and fall when we go through this. I've gone back to my not-wanting-help stage too, but I know that may change again when my weight's hit a total "low" again. Don't lose sight of the chance of being free from this, and as for your brother, don't take it to heart. You can do this :hugs:

I tried to cancel it, but their offices have been busy every time I've closed. I'm adamant that I don't want to go.. but as you say, I should decide closer to the date because my outlook on everything might be different by then. My emotions are everywhere, they change all the time. I really hate how negative I've become, before all this I was really happy-go-lucky, always thinking positively.. now I'm a miserable b!tch all the time and I can't help it. But thank you for your support, and I hope you get to your 'wanting help' stage soon! :smile:

Original post by rach087
Sophiemay, that sounds really tough with your brother re others making fun of your condition :frown: That’s really awful! I imagine that he just doesn’t understand how painful it is for you, and I think that many people just don’t understand how these disorders are beyond our control. Maybe to many of them it’s simplified to the point of “why don’t they just eat?”. Do your parents know about your brother, could they possibly talk to him about it? Even if he can’t understand what it’s like to be in your shoes, just to help him understand that what he’s doing is very upsetting for you.
I’m sorry you’re feeling so low you can’t deal with the appointment right now :frown: I think what Disenchanted said is a really good point if you haven’t cancelled it already... as these things can take so long to set up, it might be a good idea to hold onto it and see how you are feeling closer to the time. I would really recommend that too... I do wish you all the best with it. And I do hope you feel more on top of things soon too and more able to cope. You really go through peaks and troughs, at least I do. I’m in a trough right now and not sure when I’ll get out of it, but sometimes it’s easier to cope than others.

He's done it multiple times today, I just want to kill him! My parents have talked to him a few times about it, saying what he's doing is disgusting and isn't helping but he won't listen to them. I know it might be a case of him not being able to understand my condition, therefore doesn't know what to say to me when I'm around food, but the way he does it is just sly and nasty. I try to rise above it but it just makes me break down and lash out at him (and he's like 10 times stronger than me so completely beats me back). Think it just hurts more that he's my own brother saying this stuff, and not some stranger who knows nothing. Thankyou for the support though, I wish you all the best too! :smile:
I feel like i'm dying but I don't know why specifically. I just feel too weak to move and very very cold. I don't think I should go to A&E because I don't know what i'd tell them.
I can't cope with these constant feelings of guilt, shame and never being good enough for much longer. I spend all my time looking at thinspo and obsessing about what I have/haven't eaten and what I can/can't eat. I hate myself so much right now.

I used to be a cutter but I think I've replaced razor blades with not eating. I don't think I have an eating disorder, just dodgy ideas about weight and my body?
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like i'm dying but I don't know why specifically. I just feel too weak to move and very very cold. I don't think I should go to A&E because I don't know what i'd tell them.

You should go :hugs: doesn't matter what you tell them, just go
Feel awful. Back home this weekend and just can't seem to stop binging on this "crap" - oatmeal / biscuits / nuts. This has inevitably caused me to throw up (I've probably thrown up twice/three times per day) and I'm feeling god awful - I think the lining in the inside of my mouth is practically wearing away.

It's just so annoying as I am so strict with my diet when I'm in my own flat. I don't buy crap. I don't even stock up the fridge that much (just get the essentials - some fruit, some veg and a pack of meat) so obviously I can't binge. However, whenever I go home, I just can't help myself. I tell my mum not to buy any of this crap but she doesn't seem to understand. Literally do feel like breaking down at times which doesn't help when I have all this ****load of coursework mounting up on my table. Rant over. God I feel pathetic posting in this thread (no offence).. but I don't know anyone personally who has been through this situation.
Original post by Riku
Hey Anon :smile: I think you're being hard on yourself. Even if you don't think your problems are much, there are lots of things going on there. I can't go into details because I'm not a doctor or therapist so can't say for certain and don't want to misinform you. But that doesn't matter really-whether you can pinpoint a specific set of diagnostic criteria is irrelevant to the fact you're suffering and want, need help! We don't need to compare ourselves to other sufferers, and most of the time this ends up just fuelling our own negative and self-deprecating mentalities. It's easy to forget that there's no prize for who wins at an eating disorder-there are no winners in what can become a game of life and death.
I can partly relate having begun to do similar things myself, although no-one can ever truly understand each other's own inner battles. I can tell you there's a way out of it all that hopefully we can all find together.
Although I know this might sound crazy to you right now, it's not just the over-eating which is the main problem. It's all part of the same parcel that's your relationship to food and self. Your restrictive habits of eating so little are just as much as one-in fact they're almost certainly the physical reason for why you have the moments of overeating. It's the reason that dieting rarely if ever works-it's a natural reaction when someone deprives themselves of something to eventually obsess over it, and when it's something as integral to our survival as adequate nutrition it's a response built on instinct for countless generations. It's a natural impulse and you can't fight your bodily needs, so why beat yourself up about it?

But again that's not the real problem. Why do you feel your weight or how you look decides whether you have the right to eat, determines your own individuality and self-worth? Is it not enough to feel secure in the knowledge that you're an intelligent and unique person? Have you ever wondered if maybe one of the other girls wanted to be you? Just something to think about. You give yourself less credit than you deserve.
It's great that you recognise there feel ready to open up to us on this thread. How would you feel about speaking to someone in person about it, your GP or someone you trust? Would you feel comfortably speaking to your mum about it? I think it'd help if you feel confident enough to tell her how you really feel. It's hard when those we love don't seem to understand what we're going through.

:hugs:

Thank you so much for your reply. I think you're right about a lot of things.
I don't have anyone to talk to in real life but so far this is OK. I don't trust people, am not 'allowed' to see my GP (haven't even got a clue who my GP is.. My parents are both some kind of medics and both think they know everything themselves and GPs are useless.. I'm still underage so I can't really do anything about it). Don't want to burden my mum with this as she told me lots of times she's so glad I'm acting normal now, I used to be a difficult kid (I'm mildly autistic and always had problems with expressing myself, dealing with people and my self-image, I've had therapy for this at different stages in my life) so I don't want to let her down. My relationship with my father probably couldn't be much worse- frankly, I reckon sometimes he couldn't care less if I'd starve myself as long as he gets his daily dose of TV and wine, so that's not really an option either. But I'll manage :smile:
Last week was as usual, today's awful, just hope tomorrow will be better. It's so frustrating that I haven't been able to change things yet, it makes me so angry with myself.

Feel awful. Back home this weekend and just can't seem to stop binging on this "crap" - oatmeal / biscuits / nuts. This has inevitably caused me to throw up (I've probably thrown up twice/three times per day) and I'm feeling god awful - I think the lining in the inside of my mouth is practically wearing away.

It's just so annoying as I am so strict with my diet when I'm in my own flat. I don't buy crap. I don't even stock up the fridge that much (just get the essentials - some fruit, some veg and a pack of meat) so obviously I can't binge. However, whenever I go home, I just can't help myself. I tell my mum not to buy any of this crap but she doesn't seem to understand. Literally do feel like breaking down at times which doesn't help when I have all this ****load of coursework mounting up on my table. Rant over. God I feel pathetic posting in this thread (no offence).. but I don't know anyone personally who has been through this situation.

Oh gosh the second paragraph is like reading the story of my life:eek:, same situation with me, my mum just buys loads of junk food and I keep telling her not to but of course she doesn't listen to me. She's obese as well and is starting to get a lot of obesity related diseases e.g diabetes and because currently my BMI is in the normal range I eat a lot of the junk food at home so she doesn't, but it's causing me to gain weight/leading to a ****ing eating disorder:angry: She also doesn't know that I binge eat when I'm at home and I restrict when I'm away from home, and I really don't want to tell her, I just want to sort it out myself.
Reply 2596
I don't have anyone to talk to in real life but so far this is OK. I don't trust people, am not 'allowed' to see my GP (haven't even got a clue who my GP is.. My parents are both some kind of medics and both think they know everything themselves and GPs are useless.. I'm still underage so I can't really do anything about it). Don't want to burden my mum with this as she told me lots of times she's so glad I'm acting normal now, I used to be a difficult kid (I'm mildly autistic and always had problems with expressing myself, dealing with people and my self-image, I've had therapy for this at different stages in my life) so I don't want to let her down. My relationship with my father probably couldn't be much worse- frankly, I reckon sometimes he couldn't care less if I'd starve myself as long as he gets his daily dose of TV and wine, so that's not really an option either. But I'll manage :smile:
Last week was as usual, today's awful, just hope tomorrow will be better. It's so frustrating that I haven't been able to change things yet, it makes me so angry with myself.

Trust me, if you burden your mum and dad with your difficulties that's only because you absolutely every right to do so-they're your parents, that's what they're there for! Especially as you're under-age, they're legally obliged to look after your best interests. But besides that, not sure about your dad and I understand that might be a touchy subject but I think your mum does really care but just isn't sure how to cope, which is a normal reaction for loved ones of sufferers, but isn't your fault.
Regardless of whether your parents are in the know medically, if you don't feel comfortable talking to them (and from what you've said your dad doesn't sound worth confiding in anyway) then I'd seriously recommend looking up your local GP in the Yellow Pages or online. You are allowed to see them and get advice on your own, it's just that if you join any medication, enter therapy or the docs consider you at risk then being underage they'll have to let them know as well. So if you were referred, your parents would have to know somewhere down the line but I think if you make the first move it'll show them that for you this is more serious than just a diet. It doesn't have to be a GP, maybe the NHS Triage services, local helplines...?
I think it's important for you to make that first step though, it's nice that you're hopeful and optimistic for the future but the best way we can help ourselves to change our ways for the better is to make those changes happen. I understand it's incredibly scary and so much easier to just go it alone, but I hope you'll be strong enough to find the help and support you need. EDs are horrible demons to face alone, I know everyone says this of everything but it's because it's true-you don't have to suffer in silence.
I can't cope with these constant feelings of guilt, shame and never being good enough for much longer. I spend all my time looking at thinspo and obsessing about what I have/haven't eaten and what I can/can't eat. I hate myself so much right now.

I used to be a cutter but I think I've replaced razor blades with not eating. I don't think I have an eating disorder, just dodgy ideas about weight and my body?

What you have described IS an eating disorder. An eating disorder is when you use food to control emotional issues.

Cutting to starving? Not unusual, but severely awful all the same.

Darling, don't hate yourself. There are so may things in this world that DESERVE hate, but you are not one of them. You haven't killed, you haven't maimed, you haven't murdered. You don't deserve what you are doing to yourself. You are not bad.

You need some sort of emotional outlet. Run. Paint. Talk. Write. Sing. Just do it. You don't have to be good at it, just use it to get rid of he stuff inside of you. People seem to think you need to be good at these things to do them, otherwise what's the point? The point is for it to make you feel... let out. The flurry of the soul, the touching of a dream. Whatever. I don't pee to be good at peeing, I piss to let out the water. See what I mean?

Go to a GP. I had similar things happening with me. I just curled up in bed, hoping that they would go away.

They didn't. It's a result of your body beginning to shut down. Go to a GP. See your family. Whatever. You are at that critical point where you need to decide. Recover or die.

Choose recovery, please.

I know no-one has posted in this forum for aaagesss...but just incase anyone is out there..

I have anorexia (2 years this month since) and am starting to really struggle again.

The problem I'm having is that I have relapsed and know that if I don't get help soon I am going to mess up my 2nd year of A levels...but if I hold out at this weight until I've finished A levels then I will be messing up uni and therefore wasting money..

I have been given the option of going inpatient which would mess up my A levels but maybe it would be best to take some time out..? The issue with this is that I have to go in before I turn 18 in May because that's when insurance runs out...

I just feel sooo stuck because school is my life and I can't function without a routine...but I NEED to lose weight before I can recover or even go inpatient..

Any advice? :frown:

No. Just no.

Doesn't matter about what BMI you are. Doesn't matter if you are ill. If you recognise a problem, FIX IT.

I won't input in the A-Levels/Health issue, that is entirely a personal decision. When working with things like that I work from the premise:

Would I regret doing it? Or would I regret NOT doing it?

You don't need parents consent to see a GP!

If you feel a GP could help, seek one out.

The father issues. He does care. Deep down. Deep deep down. I know it may not seem it at times, but he does. Men of his generation tend not to know how to best show their emotions, or knowing what their emotions are. Give his space, and time. He will appreciate you in some form some day.

Spoiler

Plan. Not... precisely. But plan.

Set a plan in your head on what you can do for the day.

i.e. 'I will have 2 treats a day' or something along those lines. Don't obsess over these ideals, but hold them.

Also there tend to be few who do ADMIT to these sort of things. They either try and face it themselves, or collapse at the idea. The thing is that be deciding to post here you have decided to face the issue face one.

Well on you gal/guy

Also sorry all for quoting hell of a lot.

Peace.

Spoiler

Original post by Antiaris

Go to a GP. I had similar things happening with me. I just curled up in bed, hoping that they would go away.

They didn't. It's a result of your body beginning to shut down. Go to a GP. See your family. Whatever. You are at that critical point where you need to decide. Recover or die.

Choose recovery, please.

I have been doing a water fast for a week and am not even hungry. I genuinely physically don't want to eat anything! My BMI is 18.5 - so I don't see how my body doesn't have the reserves go on. :s I've never heard of someone getting ill from this at such a high weight.

I have made an appointment for next week - it seems so far away :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest