The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have been doing a water fast for a week and am not even hungry. I genuinely physically don't want to eat anything! My BMI is 18.5 - so I don't see how my body doesn't have the reserves go on. :s I've never heard of someone getting ill from this at such a high weight.

I have made an appointment for next week - it seems so far away :frown:

You know they say lose weight gradually?

That's the reason why.

When a person loses a dramatic amount of weight quickly they tend to damage their innards. You need to be in the obese category for a dramatic calorie deficit NOT to muddle your insides and even THEN you need to be eating something to keep your macronutrients up, etc.

I have been given the option of going inpatient which would mess up my A levels but maybe it would be best to take some time out..?

Any advice? :frown:

They say not much is more important than your education, but YOUR health IS one of them!! Tackle the things that could prevent you from an education, before you put your education before those things. Good luck!!
Reply 2602
I came back to uni and started living on toast again. It's not great, is it :sigh: I actually made an effort today though- I had an apple for breakfast, then pasta with vegetable sauce for lunch and mushroom and onion pancakes for tea (ok, so I only ate one, but I've got the rest in the fridge for tomorrow).

THREE PROPER MEALS IN A DAY, AT THREE PROPER TIMES. I think I have just won at life.
Reply 2603
It feels like I'm being teased with recovery dangling for it then to be taken just out of reach. If there is a God, he sure hates me.

Spoiler

Why oh why did I have to read into sports psychology?
They say not much is more important than your education, but YOUR health IS one of them!! Tackle the things that could prevent you from an education, before you put your education before those things. Good luck!!

This person is right, i have deferred my place at uni to have inpatient treatment and it was the best decision i have ever made. Education can always wait.
Ok want some advice or support on my eating habits again.

Spoiler

I don't think there's much that can be more humiliating than hearing the words 'where's this food all gone?' and then having to blame someone else to cover my back. I hate it :frown:
Original post by sophiemay20
I don't think there's much that can be more humiliating than hearing the words 'where's this food all gone?' and then having to blame someone else to cover my back. I hate it :frown:

I know I once ate a whole pack of doritos(the ones for sharing:eek:) and had to pretend I hadn't seen it and went on to eat a full meal afterwards :frown:
Reply 2608
Thinking too much again...

Spoiler

And who's negged? If it's a phantom troll, I swear you're asking for it. You've got lucky with me, I'm recovering, but one day you're going to lead some poor kid to their grave.
(edited 12 years ago)

Spoiler

Reply 2610
Original post by Riku
Thinking too much again...

Spoiler

Riku, I too am experiencing something of an all-or-nothing dilemma. My ED therapist has got me on a 4000 kcal a day eating plan which I am struggling now not to "abuse". I'm now enjoying it a bit too much, I think! But I had a full Indian buffet for lunch today, came home and I had two different kit kat chunkies, and about four cups of tea; dad says it's a roast for dinner but to be honest I think my stomach will explode. Yet it smells good.

Sometimes I think you think if you've restricted for so long that you literally become desperate just to clamour for anything in sight, and my therapist tells me that's most DEFINITELY the case.

But I have about 15lbs to reach a BMI of 18, and she wants me to get there within two months now. Obviously my fear is that the food lust will not subside when I get there.

Moreover it's obviously not distributed yet; I have a flabby round belly and stick arms and legs. But as I've been told by numerous sources, this too is normal.
Reply 2611
Original post by TotoMimo
Riku, I too am experiencing something of an all-or-nothing dilemma. My ED therapist has got me on a 4000 kcal a day eating plan which I am struggling now not to "abuse". I'm now enjoying it a bit too much, I think! But I had a full Indian buffet for lunch today, came home and I had two different kit kat chunkies, and about four cups of tea; dad says it's a roast for dinner but to be honest I think my stomach will explode. Yet it smells good.

Sometimes I think you think if you've restricted for so long that you literally become desperate just to clamour for anything in sight, and my therapist tells me that's most DEFINITELY the case.

But I have about 15lbs to reach a BMI of 18, and she wants me to get there within two months now. Obviously my fear is that the food lust will not subside when I get there.

Moreover it's obviously not distributed yet; I have a flabby round belly and stick arms and legs. But as I've been told by numerous sources, this too is normal.

(Aw crap. That neg's got me thinking I was eating WAY too much. Both in terms of dietary levels for health and just greed. I had a Milky Way Mini! From my selection box, dammit! dfoidudffu
Is coleslaw on a sandwich, muesli for breakfast and a Milky Way clamouring for everything in sight now? 0_0 )

Well Toto, if it smells good-and you're not going to be ill trying to!-then you know what's got to be done. How can you enjoy life too much? The only thing you can do is not live it to the full, and you must remember that ED is a half-life? Recovery might not be truly living, but it's sure as hell better than a world of number games.
The food lust, like the redistribution, will only occur when you can finally let go of the restriction, surely? I've heard that it's nigh-on impossible to gain even if you're being force-fed if you stress it all off again, which I did for a long time.

Not sure whether this is a good thing or not, but I've been feeling a LOT less stressed since I stopped forcing myself to gain, to "bulk" for the gym, to eat 4 meals a day, whatever. I've hit BMI 20 now, I just eat (fairly) normally when I'm hungry (and then some at points...), and I'm building up the confidence to properly work out again. I'm much more mindful and in the moment than I've been for a long time. What needs working on the most is emotional and reactive eating-apparently the dietician I was re-referred to said I'm only subjectively binging anyway. It's not actually how much I eat that's a problem, it's the fact I mull over it for hours after. But then we all know that's how this works.

And yeah with tea...I'm paranoid about it now. It's not even the cals thing, it's the tannins. But surely a few cups when I'm drinking milk and lifting isn't going to destroy our bone structures? (I'm not sure about you, I'm aware it's a looot riskier when underweight).
Mum won't stop bombarding me with her blessed gift cuppa and I feel threatened by alienation from the family if I say no (umm bit extreme?) and threatened by my body if I say yes. But I quite like tea so am aiming for the latter and hoping for the best.c
Original post by Riku
(Aw crap. That neg's got me thinking I was eating WAY too much. Both in terms of dietary levels for health and just greed. I had a Milky Way Mini! From my selection box, dammit! dfoidudffu
Is coleslaw on a sandwich, muesli for breakfast and a Milky Way clamouring for everything in sight now? 0_0 )

Well Toto, if it smells good-and you're not going to be ill trying to!-then you know what's got to be done. How can you enjoy life too much? The only thing you can do is not live it to the full, and you must remember that ED is a half-life? Recovery might not be truly living, but it's sure as hell better than a world of number games.
The food lust, like the redistribution, will only occur when you can finally let go of the restriction, surely? I've heard that it's nigh-on impossible to gain even if you're being force-fed if you stress it all off again, which I did for a long time.

Not sure whether this is a good thing or not, but I've been feeling a LOT less stressed since I stopped forcing myself to gain, to "bulk" for the gym, to eat 4 meals a day, whatever. I've hit BMI 20 now, I just eat (fairly) normally when I'm hungry (and then some at points...), and I'm building up the confidence to properly work out again. I'm much more mindful and in the moment than I've been for a long time. What needs working on the most is emotional and reactive eating-apparently the dietician I was re-referred to said I'm only subjectively binging anyway. It's not actually how much I eat that's a problem, it's the fact I mull over it for hours after. But then we all know that's how this works.

And yeah with tea...I'm paranoid about it now. It's not even the cals thing, it's the tannins. But surely a few cups when I'm drinking milk and lifting isn't going to destroy our bone structures? (I'm not sure about you, I'm aware it's a looot riskier when underweight).
Mum won't stop bombarding me with her blessed gift cuppa and I feel threatened by alienation from the family if I say no (umm bit extreme?) and threatened by my body if I say yes. But I quite like tea so am aiming for the latter and hoping for the best.

Can't say anything about the reason for the neg, but it was certainly not because you ate far too much, or because you ate too fat fat, or anything
like that! And it's certainly nowhere near enough to be unhealthy or to have negative effects.

In fact (although it may not seem like it, either because of overthinking or over-analysing the amounts of everything or whatever!) it sounds absolutely fine and very healthy. A lot of people will be reading what you have eating and wondering what on earth is bad about it (yes, even the chocolate. You're not living off chocolate, you're getting the nutrients you need, chocolate is fine. I would say that it is certainly a good thing for you to have. :smile:). That's not meant to sound patronising so I hope it doesn't, but I'm just trying to say that it is what you said - it's the health anxiety and the eating disorder telling you it's too much, not an objective thing.

You sound like you're doing really well at the moment, you can see in your posts that you're challenging yourself and becoming more confident and relaxed about it. But your dietician is certainly right. :smile:

And yes, tea is absolutely fine too (again, balance, but it would take a lot of tea to have any negative effects whatsoever). And I say this as a tea addict (honestly, my first phrase as a baby was 'cup of tea' :colondollar:), my mum and I have always had about 7-10 cups of tea a day (I'm on decaf these days but still!).

:smile:
Original post by Riku
Mum won't stop bombarding me with her blessed gift cuppa and I feel threatened by alienation from the family if I say no (umm bit extreme?) and threatened by my body if I say yes. But I quite like tea so am aiming for the latter and hoping for the best.c

Tannins in tea bind with ions with +2 charge.

Iron II
Calcium
Magnesium
etc.

If you drink tea with milk the tannins will bind with the calcium IN THE CUP. The science of tea is so awesome that you are making chemical reactions everyday IN A CUP!

Sorry, getting a chemistry high. Began a kitchen experiment to distil banana oil. It began working, but it was so slow that it wouldn't really have been worth it... Nerd day.

Spoiler

Original post by Antiaris
Tannins in tea bind with ions with +2 charge.

Iron II
Calcium
Magnesium
etc.

If you drink tea with milk the tannins will bind with the calcium IN THE CUP. The science of tea is so awesome that you are making chemical reactions everyday IN A CUP!

Sorry, getting a chemistry high. Began a kitchen experiment to distil banana oil. It began working, but it was so slow that it wouldn't really have been worth it... Nerd day.

Dude, stick some heat underneath the thing being distilled. Gives the molecules more energy, therefore rate of reaction increaes, so speed of the distillation also increases </chemistry nerd> ooh, banana oil, why were you distilling it in the first place?
Original post by .snowflake.
Dude, stick some heat underneath the thing being distilled. Gives the molecules more energy, therefore rate of reaction increaes, so speed of the distillation also increases </chemistry nerd> ooh, banana oil, why were you distilling it in the first place?

Well I had it over the highest burner in my kitchen in the first place, but it still is an enormously slow process.

Pretty much a sieve full of banana peel (where the most aromatics are found in fruit) over a boiling pan of water, topped with an upside funnel connected to tubing which lead to a siphoning jug. It's a more crude form of how they get lavender oil.

Steam passes through peel, some heated oil joins it. Water and oil condenses in tubing, drips into jug. Oil being hydrophobic sits on top of water. Syphon off the water, left with banana oil.

After 30 minutes I was left with I believe 5 drips of liquid and banana scented tubing. Sometimes proper equipment may be needed...

Did it just to see whether you actually COULD distil banana oil as it is mostly wax based. Proven you could, but with a lot of peel and a long time.

EDIT;
Well, either that or I had trapped sugars...

DON'T DESTROY MY DREAM. ;__;
(edited 12 years ago)
I feel like i'm dying but I don't know why specifically. I just feel too weak to move and very very cold. I don't think I should go to A&E because I don't know what i'd tell them.

You are dying. Your body is physically shutting down, all your fat reserves have gone which is why you are feeling unbelievably cold and your body is burning your muscle to live. But of course I am sure people have told you this. (Also eating food is thermogenic - metabolic processes physically create heat in your body, so not eating cools you further).

Go to A&E, or just see a doctor, I'm urging you. One of my friends was in this state and she was literally days from death, because you do not feel like that until physically you are very, very, bad, like BMI >14. If not the other things your blood pressure or pulse may be very low which puts you at risk of fainting and they should be aware of that. Please, trust me you have got to a point where you clearly are critical. And if you can manage it, do try and eat something, liquid if its easier - milkshake like yazoo/nesquick (for some reason my friend was encouraged to down a lot of these) hot chocolate (not options!), chicken soup, anything. You need to keep blood sugar and macronutrients up.
I feel like i'm dying but I don't know why specifically. I just feel too weak to move and very very cold. I don't think I should go to A&E because I don't know what i'd tell them.

I sincerly hope that this poster got help and went to A and E as I dont like the sound of this post.
Original post by Antiaris
You know they say lose weight gradually?

That's the reason why.

When a person loses a dramatic amount of weight quickly they tend to damage their innards. You need to be in the obese category for a dramatic calorie deficit NOT to muddle your insides and even THEN you need to be eating something to keep your macronutrients up, etc.

Original post by arcadian-archangel
You are dying. Your body is physically shutting down, all your fat reserves have gone which is why you are feeling unbelievably cold and your body is burning your muscle to live. But of course I am sure people have told you this. (Also eating food is thermogenic - metabolic processes physically create heat in your body, so not eating cools you further).

Go to A&amp;E, or just see a doctor, I'm urging you. One of my friends was in this state and she was literally days from death, because you do not feel like that until physically you are very, very, bad, like BMI &gt;14. If not the other things your blood pressure or pulse may be very low which puts you at risk of fainting and they should be aware of that. Please, trust me you have got to a point where you clearly are critical. And if you can manage it, do try and eat something, liquid if its easier - milkshake like yazoo/nesquick (for some reason my friend was encouraged to down a lot of these) hot chocolate (not options!), chicken soup, anything. You need to keep blood sugar and macronutrients up.

Original post by Annie72
I sincerly hope that this poster got help and went to A and E as I dont like the sound of this post.

My boyfriend got me lots of fruit and yoghurts and 3 large bars of chocolate ( :frown: ) and I feel much much different. I have since been binging on junk food and have gained quite a lot of fat ( :/ ). Thank you for your concerns - I wrote such a really blunt message because I was so scared and felt doomed. This whole thing is so confusing. I was going to go to the doctors but now that i've gained fat I can't.
Reply 2619
My boyfriend got me lots of fruit and yoghurts and 3 large bars of chocolate ( :frown: ) and I feel much much different. I have since been binging on junk food and have gained quite a lot of fat ( :/ ). Thank you for your concerns - I wrote such a really blunt message because I was so scared and felt doomed. This whole thing is so confusing. I was going to go to the doctors but now that i've gained fat I can't.

I am very rarely this blunt, but this bit angered me to the point of infuriation.

So your body's shutting down, you've eaten a yoghurt and chocolate and now you're all better and miraculously as big as a whale? I'm sorry, but if nothing else, your ED needs addressing RIGHT NOW. You cannot keep making these excuses m'dear.

Quick Reply

Latest