Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Opened up to my flatmate about my behaviour today and she was quite shocked.

Still, it didn't stop me binging on loads of crap and suffering from the consequences later on! ****ity **** ****. Even walked outside in the freezing cold to curb my cravings and that helped, to a point ! Think my problem is that I'm sitting in the kitchen as it is the only warm part of my flat ...
    I think it's really brave of you to open up to your flatmate :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallonSmith)
    I weighed myself today and I was 11st 4lbs. So that's like 160kg I think.
    I mean put a spoiler warning (like this
    Spoiler:
    Show
    x
    ) around them. Because numbers are a huge trigger.

ReputationRep:
    How is this the wrong thread to post in? I have an eating disorder and suffer from depression, was eight stone two years ago due to depression, piled on loads of weight last year and I can't seem to get healthy again.
    It's not that you're not welcome, quite the opposite in fact Just that some of us here are highly susceptible to certain triggers and you happened to mention the big three in a single post-weight, "fat", and extreme solutions to resolve an obsession with the former two. There's people at all stages of the eating disorder from the nigh-on fully recovered to those really stuck in the mud, and for those at greater risk you never know what reaction they'll have to something explicit. For example I'm a year in the early stages of recovery but approaching a transformation into a potentially worse ED. In future it may be best to spoiler anything related to these you think other sufferers might find uncomfortable in the [ spoiler ] text [/spoiler] tags
    Spoiler:
    Show
    like this

For everyone else's reference, I think this should also apply to anyone with potentially triggering signatures? A little thought for others could do miracles, or at least avert a disaster. x

Also, while this thread is great for talking about feelings, experiences and coping in daily life with this additional difficulty, for a fairly obvious reason we try not to talk about food or dieting too much! [Shameless thread marketing ahead ] However for that I would recommend the Healthy New You thread which will help you find a sensible approach to not only reaching or maintaining a healthy weight but general health, fitness and well-being on top
    'Course you can pop in here any time, no invitation necessary

ReputationRep:
    I weighed myself today and I was 11st 4lbs. So that's like 160kg I think.
    Spoiler them. As in, cover them up. Some of us here are in treatment, some of us are actively trying to get better and some of us aren't ready to get better yet, but this is a place where we support each other with the intention of at least moving towards trying to get better. It's not a place where we brag about how little we've eaten or what we weigh, and posts like that without a spoiler WILL trigger people. Everyone's welcome here and we'll try to help anyone, but you have to respect our situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sentiment)
    Spoiler them. As in, cover them up. Some of us here are in treatment, some of us are actively trying to get better and some of us aren't ready to get better yet, but this is a place where we support each other with the intention of at least moving towards trying to get better. It's not a place where we brag about how little we've eaten or what we weigh, and posts like that without a spoiler WILL trigger people. Everyone's welcome here and we'll try to help anyone, but you have to respect our situations.
    This

ReputationRep:
    I see. Well I haven't told anyone about my intention regarding weight loss because I'm embarassed and don't want to brag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    It's not that you're not welcome, quite the opposite in fact Just that some of us here are highly susceptible to certain triggers and you happened to mention the big three in a single post-weight, "fat", and extreme solutions to resolve an obsession with the former two. There's people at all stages of the eating disorder from the nigh-on fully recovered to those really stuck in the mud, and for those at greater risk you never know what reaction they'll have to something explicit. For example I'm a year in the early stages of recovery but approaching a transformation into a potentially worse ED. In future it may be best to spoiler anything related to these you think other sufferers might find uncomfortable in the [ spoiler ] text [/spoiler] tags
    Spoiler:
    Show
    like this

For everyone else's reference, I think this should also apply to anyone with potentially triggering signatures? A little thought for others could do miracles, or at least avert a disaster. x

Also, while this thread is great for talking about feelings, experiences and coping in daily life with this additional difficulty, for a fairly obvious reason we try not to talk about food or dieting too much! [Shameless thread marketing ahead ] However for that I would recommend the Healthy New You thread which will help you find a sensible approach to not only reaching or maintaining a healthy weight but general health, fitness and well-being on top
    'Course you can pop in here any time, no invitation necessary
    Yes! This is exactly what I was trying to say. Oh Riku, y u so eloquent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete)
    Yes! This is exactly what I was trying to say. Oh Riku, y u so eloquent?
    Bane of an English degree, m'dear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Opened up to my flatmate about my behaviour today and she was quite shocked.

Still, it didn't stop me binging on loads of crap and suffering from the consequences later on! ****ity **** ****. Even walked outside in the freezing cold to curb my cravings and that helped, to a point ! Think my problem is that I'm sitting in the kitchen as it is the only warm part of my flat ...
    Well done! IMO, opening up about your problems is the first major step towards recovery. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Quoted and + rep for truth (and because I had rep left, and it let me rep you :eek:)
    And if we seem to ignore your post, we promise we haven't done it deliberately. It's more a case it wasnt seen, or noone online at the time can really help much more than :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I have been suffering for around 6 years with some form of an eating disorder.

The past month hasn't been as bad as it was before, but it really gets me down at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Bane of an English degree, m'dear
    I'm going to start campaigning for you to become PM or Health Secretary or something. You are ridculously inspirational.
    (Was that creepy? I feel like that came out in a majorly creepy way!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Over The Rainbow X)
    I have been suffering for around 6 years with some form of an eating disorder.

The past month hasn't been as bad as it was before, but it really gets me down at times.
    That's an awfully long time to be feeling like this...we might not be able to help much here but we'll always do our best, even if you just want to rant or vent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete)
    I'm going to start campaigning for you to become PM or Health Secretary or something. You are ridculously inspirational.
    (Was that creepy? I feel like that came out in a majorly creepy way!)
    A little creepy. but it made me giggle. so all is good. and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    A little creepy. but it made me giggle. so all is good. and stuff.
    I hate how on the internets you can't use your facial expressions to make yourself appear non-threatening when you start to gush. Riku is now giving my IP address to the police and wording a restraining order.

ReputationRep:
    That's an awfully long time to be feeling like this...we might not be able to help much here but we'll always do our best, even if you just want to rant or vent
    It is indeed, and I'm coming up to that length of time as well, with being funny about my body. Induction day in july of Y6, stood in the changing room in my bra and knickers trying to find my PE kit. By xmas Y7, mastered how to put PE kit on with showing as little flesh as possible.

Your story is really moving. I don't have an eating disorder but I suffer from anxiety and I use food to cope with this, whenever something bad happens in my life or I am under a lot of stress I cope with it by not really eating, crash dieting, doing stupid things like laxatives or being sick to avoid taking in calories after I have been bingeing. I hope it never gets to the stage where I really really want to get better and physically can't. But people like you give me hope and make me realise that my own perception of myself might not be how others perceive me [because people clearly adore you, myself included!]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    It is indeed, and I'm coming up to that length of time as well, with being funny about my body. Induction day in july of Y6, stood in the changing room in my bra and knickers trying to find my PE kit. By xmas Y7, mastered how to put PE kit on with showing as little flesh as possible.
    I can't remember a time when I ever liked my body but I didn't start doing anything about it until I was fifteen. It sounds ridiculous but I literally woke up one day and thought 'I'm not going to look like this anymore' and flicked it on like a switch. It didn't take long at all before it was a way of life. It's even more stupid because I know looking back that I was always slim anyway, I've never been overweight in my life. Quite interesting trying to work out what the origin of it is.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember a time when I ever liked my body but I didn't start doing anything about it until I was fifteen. It sounds ridiculous but I literally woke up one day and thought 'I'm not going to look like this anymore' and flicked it on like a switch. It didn't take long at all before it was a way of life. It's even more stupid because I know looking back that I was always slim anyway, I've never been overweight in my life. Quite interesting trying to work out what the origin of it is.
    Lots of people talk about it being like flicking a switch but it's so true for lots of us. One day, that's it, and it takes so long to undo!!

ReputationRep:
    amd then it went to **** in Y9. I think i know exactly the trigger for it. Being bullied pretty much the entirety of Y5. In Y6, the girls has to get changed in the clockroom, right outside Y5 teachers classroom. so on a near weekly basis i'd get some sort of comment as i got changed. Y7-11 bullied the entire way through. School knew, did basically nothing. being called a fat stupid cow in Y7 didnt help. I told him, 'be careful with comments like those, they're the sort that trigger eating disorders. 3 years later, had i been dragged to the doctors, I'dve certainly been diagrosed with EDNOS, and bloody close to AN, having displayed all but two of the diagnostic criteria for it. I'll let you guess which two.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.