Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    Really? So why is it?
    I'll need to find it and have a gander. Knowing me it wont actually have it in there :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinnie)
    Fats are needed to make hormones for the body to function normally. Coupled with the self-esteem stuff...

Edit: I also read somewhere that young girls develop eating problems partly due to the pressures of becoming a woman being too overwhelming. Therefore they keep their child-like body and hormonal state and do not have to become a woman and mature, with the responsibilities that brings. I don't know what my opinion is on that, but it's something I read.
    That's the reason my AS german textbook gives for eating disorders. Guess what my scientific article for A2 biology is on - practically the worst thing possible for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    That's the reason my AS german textbook gives for eating disorders. Guess what my scientific article for A2 biology is on - practically the worst thing possible for me.
    It's pretty lame. It's as if we sat down one day and went 'nooo I don't want to grow up... I know.. i'll destroy my body instead. Yeah, that's a good idea. Let's do it.'
    I'd say it's more a consequence rather than a cause.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty lame. It's as if we sat down one day and went 'nooo I don't want to grow up... I know.. i'll destroy my body instead. Yeah, that's a good idea. Let's do it.'
    I'd say it's more a consequence rather than a cause.
    I know. I read it in the book and sat there thinking. *******s. I do it because I hate myself and want to make my body as ugly as my soul.

Fats are needed to make hormones for the body to function normally. Coupled with the self-esteem stuff...

Edit: I also read somewhere that young girls develop eating problems partly due to the pressures of becoming a woman being too overwhelming. Therefore they keep their child-like body and hormonal state and do not have to become a woman and mature, with the responsibilities that brings. I don't know what my opinion is on that, but it's something I read.
    If I were on the pill and therefore getting a period because of it, would that count as functioning normally?
    That's interesting. I'll admit to being terrified of intimacy but it's hard to tell if it's a cause or a consequence.

ReputationRep:
    Ffs keep on forgetting to unclick the anon button XD that was me again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If I were on the pill and therefore getting a period because of it, would that count as functioning normally?
    That's interesting. I'll admit to being terrified of intimacy but it's hard to tell if it's a cause or a consequence.
    Amen. Consequence of hating myself, probably. Cause of the fact I've never had a boyfriend. Apparently I'm 'frigid' or a 'lesbian'

ReputationRep:
    It's complicated because there are both physical and emotional factors involved. You can be fine physically, but mentally not ready for intimacy or vice-versa/both.
    I'm guessing (educated guess as a biomedicine student) that the pill will be giving you the hormones required for a menstrual cycle... but you need lots of your hormones functioning normally to want sex. Your body is too busy keeping your major organs going than the 'less important stuff'.

There is also the fact that neurologically, your mind is both in state of obsession and also deprivation. Things aren't relaxed up there yet :hugs:

Also the same thing that can cause us to have eating disorder tendencies, like low self esteem/self worth are the same things that can put us off sex.

ReputationRep:
    It's a well known fact that if you're anorexic, your libido decreases. It's also to do with the way you perceive yourself. If you don't like yourself, you'll never let someone see you as you are. Only one guy has ever seen me naked, despite being recovered for 2 years. I still have that fear. I still feel fat and ugly. I felt that being anorexic was necessary because it was what I deserved, but I wasn't proud of my body because I wasn't a woman, so I think that a lack of sexual desire is caused by anorexia. Anorexia doesn't result from lack of sexual desire.

It's entirely understandable that anorexics don't want to have sex. If we're not comfortable with our bodies, why would we show them to someone who may ridicule us? I wouldn't even kiss someone when I was anorexic. I wanted to, but I was just too scared of rejection/mockery, because that's what I did to myself daily.

As for not wanting to develop into a woman, I know it's true in some cases but not the majority. I always wanted to be a woman. It was down to entirely different things, punishment because I was an 'awful person', or so I perceived, abuse at home and bullying at school. Can't really see why people would want to be stuck in a pre-pubescent stage, but that's just me.

(Original post by .snowflake.)
    Amen. Consequence of hating myself, probably. Cause of the fact I've never had a boyfriend. Apparently I'm 'frigid' or a 'lesbian'
    Haha, I've had that before. A few weeks ago, my sister was actually like 'You know, it's okay if you're a lesbian right?' I'm actually asexual and no-one really gets it and I'm too lazy to explain so I generally don't say anything about my sexuality and just say that I'm not really anything if I get asked if I'm gay/bi/straight because it's easier than having to field off questions about my libido and people assuming that it's because I'm depressed/have an eating disorder haha

But yeah, it's a common consequence of EDs and depression/low mood that your libido decreases and you're not interested in sex/sexual things.

I couldn't really understand the staying a child theory before- and I still can't really. But I turned 20 a few days ago and I've noticed that I'm freaking the **** out because I'm a proper adult now but don't feel like one and then (sorry men!) whenever my periods arrive, they make me absolutely crazy- I'm convinced part of my weird mania depression periods are due to my hormones- and because I want them to go away, I feel like I HAVE to lose weight to be able to function. I can't wait to grow up properly, have my own house and live by myself and have a job and a dog. But I don't want to have a 'huge' womanly body because that feels excessive. But it probably doesn't help that I'd much rather look androgynous because I don't actually feel like a woman at all. It's all so confusing...

ReputationRep:
    Regarding sexual desire, when your body starts dying (anorexia) it shuts down secondary functions to go into "survival mode". I've reached a high of 107lbs now; continuing to gain on this colossal 4000-cal a day diet they have me on - and yet my libido still hasn't returned.

I can determine whether or not a girl is beautiful, or cute, or attractive in general, but I am genuinely not at all interested in doing anything with or to her from a sexual standpoint. Some girls might find that quite a good deal :P

But in all seriousness, I haven't had sexual thoughts in two years. That's horrible. At one point I (and I will remain vague to save horrid details of parts unknown ) tried, despite having no desire whatsoever to "force" stimulate myself. Nothing really happened. It felt okay but I had absolutely nothing to make me want to do it, it was like all those chemical rushes I expected were... gone. In the end it felt no different than rubbing my damn arm continuously.

Anorexics... we get a bum deal, whether it's food, sex, lifestyle... Who would want to be anorexic, really, eh?

Spoiler:
    Show

Oh **** I've started getting light-headed, dizzy and confused after a reasonably sized meal. First dinner last night, thought it could be anxiety and losing sleep so got an early night and solid 9 hours-but now it's happened again today at breakfast! I know 3 weetabix and a banana is a lot of carbs, but not drastic right? (I upped from 2 again on account of thinking I was starting to lose) Felt really weird and disoriented so went and had something stupid like a block of cheese "for the protein", I can't remember how much exactly ¬ ¬ not the smartest thing to do...Gahhh don't want to go round this one again. Scared that I can't go to the docs because even though I KNOW I have low BP and that could start playing it up I bet they'll just tell me to stop worrying again : /

Sorry to de-rail. The theories above on EDs/mental disorders and loss of libido are very true though. As Cinnie and Toto say, it's a physical and psychological double-whammy, and eventually the psychological part can only be corrected by physical recovery (restoring fat hormones, B-vitamin complexes, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    And again, that was Riku :P Why does it keep ticking the Anon box when I'm signed in?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I've had that before. A few weeks ago, my sister was actually like 'You know, it's okay if you're a lesbian right?' I'm actually asexual and no-one really gets it and I'm too lazy to explain so I generally don't say anything about my sexuality and just say that I'm not really anything if I get asked if I'm gay/bi/straight because it's easier than having to field off questions about my libido and people assuming that it's because I'm depressed/have an eating disorder haha

But yeah, it's a common consequence of EDs and depression/low mood that your libido decreases and you're not interested in sex/sexual things.

I couldn't really understand the staying a child theory before- and I still can't really. But I turned 20 a few days ago and I've noticed that I'm freaking the **** out because I'm a proper adult now but don't feel like one and then (sorry men!) whenever my periods arrive, they make me absolutely crazy- I'm convinced part of my weird mania depression periods are due to my hormones- and because I want them to go away, I feel like I HAVE to lose weight to be able to function. I can't wait to grow up properly, have my own house and live by myself and have a job and a dog. But I don't want to have a 'huge' womanly body because that feels excessive. But it probably doesn't help that I'd much rather look androgynous because I don't actually feel like a woman at all. It's all so confusing...
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    I made the step and booked an appointment with the university counselling service. It's made me really anxious though, and I've started to doubt whether I've got an eating disorder or I'm exaggerating.

It's next friday which isn't even far away but I want it to be closer because I just want to be told that I'm not being stupid and waisting their time, that I actually do need or deserve help.

So easy to balloon whilst I'm at home. Half of me doesn't want to be ungrateful so I eat what I'm given; far too much if you asked me but there we go. The other half then screams at myself for the rest of the day. Joy.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if anyone who has been far along a recovery situation can advise me.

I've only actually been on this 4000-calorie a day diet for recovery for five days thus far, but I have actually gained over 8 lbs. I know I WANT to gain weight from this, but in just under five days I'm a notch up in my belt, feel my jeans tight on me, and have a full eight pounds of weight slammed on me already.

The anxiety is incredible. I was not expecting such a huge amount of mass/weight all in one go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)

I've only actually been on this 4000-calorie a day diet for recovery for five days thus far, but I have actually gained over 8 lbs. I know I WANT to gain weight from this, but in just under five days I'm a notch up in my belt, feel my jeans tight on me, and have a full eight pounds of weight slammed on me already.

The anxiety is incredible. I was not expecting such a huge amount of mass/weight all in one go...
    -hugging-. are you sure that all off this is fat? If you're eating more carbs/ salty thing then it might be your body storing water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)

That is quite a lot given the time period -- even when I was an in-patient, I wasn't putting on that much. However, when I was first put on a really high-calorie plan, my weight shot up immediately, by about 1.5 kilos within a week (I was on a lower calorie plan than you). Your body is suddenly getting a surplus after being deprived for so long, so that may explain it as that's what happened with me. Is your new diet plan one you have devised or one you have been prescribed? x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses. It's one that's been prescribed; I need to gain to my minimum BMI within a few weeks or else I will not be signed back on to work, and a really amazing job prospect has opened up to me just recently that I would be insane to pass up. It's inspired me to go on the "crash gainer" diet my psychoanalyst and dietician gave me, Complan, Fortisips and all.

The only problem is it seems to just be PILING on me. But it may be a combination of salt/water/panic retention...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.