Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

Announcements

You need to stop giving in to the temptation of throwing up.

It's easy to say "I throw up because I'm stressed" or "I throw up because I'm having a bad day". However, I think these are correlations and not causations. It's all the pre-frontal cortex's fault - the part of the brain which makes us human. It sends these silly signals to binge and to purge but we have to stop giving in to them. Just shrug of any ill thoughts instead of putting a lot of emotion into it. It's a constant battle but I have a feeling the the less thought we give to these urges, the less powerful these urges will become.

You're bodies struggling physically because throwing up is so energy demanding and it messes up your electrolytes. Drink up to and maybe mix in a teaspoon of salt to replace the fluid and electrolytes.

I haven't told any of my friends I'm bulimic either. It's a shame because I keep knocking back social invites and I'm starting to think it's pissing them off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel like an idiot for posting this, but I need some advice :/

I made myself sick for the last time when I was 14, i'm now 18. It's never been regular, it seems to be in fits and spurts, maybe when i'm stressed? I don't know. I can't do anything about it, when I decide I want to do it, I will. When I go through the bad patches I can make myself sick up to 4/5 times a day, i'm on 2 so far today. I've just met a new guy, and it seems to have sparked things off again.

I feel really dreadful though. My friend took my blood pressure the other day and it was 92/48, I feel so tired. My throat is so so sore and every time I eat my stomach cramps. Breathing seems to be such an effort, it feels like my heart is working so hard, yet when he listened to my heart he could barely hear it.

I haven't ever spoken about this, I don't know what to do :/
    Hi I never purged but I think what sets it off can be similar to what sets off other EDs. You've done well by identifying what could potentially be the trigger to set you off so you purge. The tip is to divert it away from these tendencies. When you feel overwhelmed and stressed, like you want to purge, you need to divert it. Don't take out your feelings on your body. It's so hard to do but the first step is always the hardest. Well done for speaking out about it. We're all here to help and support you. I don't have a lot of experience with purging but I'm sure others will post. x

You need to stop giving in to the temptation of throwing up.

It's easy to say "I throw up because I'm stressed" or "I throw up because I'm having a bad day". However, I think these are correlations and not causations. It's all the pre-frontal cortex's fault - the part of the brain which makes us human. It sends these silly signals to binge and to purge but we have to stop giving in to them. Just shrug of any ill thoughts instead of putting a lot of emotion into it. It's a constant battle but I have a feeling the the less thought we give to these urges, the less powerful these urges will become.

You're bodies struggling physically because throwing up is so energy demanding and it messes up your electrolytes. Drink up to and maybe mix in a teaspoon of salt to replace the fluid and electrolytes.

I haven't told any of my friends I'm bulimic either. It's a shame because I keep knocking back social invites and I'm starting to think it's pissing them off.
    I don't throw up because i'm stressed .. i've just noticed the correlation. Around exam times, during a break up etc. I'm such a happy person, everybody always say I am. Honestly, nobody could guess that I do what I do ..

I'm the opposite with social events, i've been out a lot recently and i'm drunk a lot of alcohol, I think this may contribute to my stomach pains, i'm not sure.

How do you tell somebody something like that?

Got a terrible cold, trying to keep eating little and often but it's especially difficult when everything tastes like **** and all I want to do is sleep. Strangely, when I'm ill I'm more inclined to eat better as I hate feeling like this and just want to get better quicker... Fed up of not being able to exercise or breath properly :/

Haven't been on this thread in ages but thought I'd just check in to see how everyone is doing. Looks like lots of positive posts going on but lots of people struggling. Personally I realised after summer last year that what I was doing to myself was causing me so much harm and I didn't even realise it, so I threw away my diary and confided in one of my teachers. Best decision ever!! I really recommend that those of you who are having problems confide in someone close to you because it makes such a big difference. This thread is amazing but just having that extra support of someone who you can talk to in real life makes the biggest difference ever.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Starting in September of last year I started to build up my confidence whilst talking to my teacher and before I knew it I had more energy than ever and just felt genuinely great. At times yes it's hard but it is possible. I gained about 10 pounds and strangely enough due to my new found confidence although the weight gain was very noticeable to me, I didn't mind too much. Eating with my family again, going to restaurants, meeting up with friends, managing to exercise not excessively. I can't explain how much all of you who are struggling need to just keep going and not give up. It's so so so worth it!!

However, towards the end of June I had to have an operation which meant that I can't properly eat for 7 weeks when I'll slowly be allowed to start eating proper foods again. Currently at the 6 week mark I'm not sure if I'll ever get back to that stage I was at before this operation. Unfortunately I've lost almost 12 pounds in the past 6 weeks and I'm hoping to go to university in September and I'm worried about slipping back into bad habits.

Has anyone else had experience of not being physically allowed to eat properly due to an operation or something? Does university genuinely make people cope better or worse?

How do you tell somebody something like that?
    It's not as bad as you think it'll be. If in your head you go through what you're going to say or write it down and think it over and over and delay it then you'll never be able to do it. You have to just go for it and tell them exactly how you feel. If your friends really are your friends then they've probably realised something is up and will only want to help you.

Just find the right time and explain as much as you can how you feel. They probably won't understand at first but give them time and they'll probably go and look it up and although lots of the information out there is really wrong it'll help them to help you. I promise you it's not as bad as you think it'll be, just let them know that nothing will change between you two and you don't want them 'watching' you but just want their support and I'm sure they'll be willing to help!! Try and do it face to face aswell Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello delightful people!

I haven't posted in this thread for many a moon, but I do check in and may I say the support and positivity here is awesome..you guys are truly little gems.

Anyways, I'm posting because I'd like a little reassurance/kick up the tush. I'll try and be succinct but apologies if I ramble;

Since the new year my recovery has come in leaps and bounds, so much so that I can go for large periods of time without even thinking about the disorder (which is of course marvellous). Despite this, I have only gained what I imagine is a few pounds. I say imagine, because I made myself a challenge not to use the scales for as long as possible and therefore have resisted them for months, however I do still use a tape measure to check my measurements which have remained pretty much the same (and also I still fit in all my clothes). I've been kind of ignoring any 'need' to gain weight because I felt in good health and was happy with myself, despite the few residual factors of being slightly underweight remaining, one of them being amenorrhea.

However to my complete surprise, last night I started my period. To give the significance of this event context, I should tell you that I haven't had a period for over 5 YEARS. I'd basically reconciled myself with the fact that I'd f*ed my body up so much that I may never menstruate again, and was sure that it would take a big weight increase to fire up my cycle again. Apparently though, my body fat has increased to the point where I'm able to menstruate like a normal woman. WOWZERS.

At first I was happy, the absence of periods had always niggled at the back of my mind and I KNOW the devastation long-term amenorrhea can have on your health. For a 24 year old not to have a period is slightly ridiculous and I should be pleased that my body is in healthy working order again. But now I'm completely paranoid that I've become a complete lard-arse, tempted to restrict, tempted to weigh myself (my measurements have remained the same but SOMETHING must have happened to produce these turn of events), basically flapping about like an idiot. It's disappointing to be honest, because I truly thought I was over it all.

If anyone kind out there can offer any advice, or have experience of how you dealt with the return of menstruation, or just would like to give me a jab in the eyeball for being silly I'd be very appreciative. I feel really torn between 'hurray I'm healthy again' and 'blimey I've really let myself go for THIS to have happened'.

Thanking you xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloppy)
    Hello delightful people!

If anyone kind out there can offer any advice, or have experience of how you dealt with the return of menstruation, or just would like to give me a jab in the eyeball for being silly I'd be very appreciative. I feel really torn between 'hurray I'm healthy again' and 'blimey I've really let myself go for THIS to have happened'.

Thanking you xxx
    Can't help with anything else, but I will give you the poke in the eyeball... It's a good thing that they're back, even if they're a rather horrid/ messy way to go 'YAY! You're not pregnant!' Personally, that is legit the only positive to them. Atleast your weight hasnt changed, but good things have started to happen.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I look and feel incredibly angular atm, yet my weight isnt as low as what you'd expect me to be, and that IS screwing with my mind.
    I genuinely want shooting for being so stupid. I watched eat,fast and live longer on the telly on Monday(?). Shouldn't have done it. SUCH a trigger.

Does anyone else find when their eating goes to ****, that they don't sleep very well?

Mild break down this morning, stepped on the scales to find that since... March? maybe? I've lost a stone in weight. Apart from I don't see it, and can't see it, even when I compare two pictures side by side.

ReputationRep:
    Mild break down this morning, stepped on the scales to find that since... March? maybe? I've lost a stone in weight. Apart from I don't see it, and can't see it, even when I compare two pictures side by side.
    -hugs-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloppy)
    Hello delightful people!

I haven't posted in this thread for many a moon, but I do check in and may I say the support and positivity here is awesome..you guys are truly little gems.

Anyways, I'm posting because I'd like a little reassurance/kick up the tush. I'll try and be succinct but apologies if I ramble;

Since the new year my recovery has come in leaps and bounds, so much so that I can go for large periods of time without even thinking about the disorder (which is of course marvellous). Despite this, I have only gained what I imagine is a few pounds. I say imagine, because I made myself a challenge not to use the scales for as long as possible and therefore have resisted them for months, however I do still use a tape measure to check my measurements which have remained pretty much the same (and also I still fit in all my clothes). I've been kind of ignoring any 'need' to gain weight because I felt in good health and was happy with myself, despite the few residual factors of being slightly underweight remaining, one of them being amenorrhea.

However to my complete surprise, last night I started my period. To give the significance of this event context, I should tell you that I haven't had a period for over 5 YEARS. I'd basically reconciled myself with the fact that I'd f*ed my body up so much that I may never menstruate again, and was sure that it would take a big weight increase to fire up my cycle again. Apparently though, my body fat has increased to the point where I'm able to menstruate like a normal woman. WOWZERS.

At first I was happy, the absence of periods had always niggled at the back of my mind and I KNOW the devastation long-term amenorrhea can have on your health. For a 24 year old not to have a period is slightly ridiculous and I should be pleased that my body is in healthy working order again. But now I'm completely paranoid that I've become a complete lard-arse, tempted to restrict, tempted to weigh myself (my measurements have remained the same but SOMETHING must have happened to produce these turn of events), basically flapping about like an idiot. It's disappointing to be honest, because I truly thought I was over it all.

Thanking you xxx
    Cloppy! So good to hear from you! :hugs:
    Sorry I can't actually give any advice being a guy ummm but I have to say it's a GOOD sign you've finally got your period back. It really is a case of hurray, you're getting healthy again
    x

On a related note, anyone spoken to Diamond, Custard, Brie and that lately? Haven't heard from them or some others in ages!
    Although, if they've reached a stage where they're physically and mentally healthy no longer in need of this thread, then that's the best thing for them and I wish them all the best. Just curious x
    1 week behaviour free. Granted I've been eating pretty much entirely safe foods and bodybuilding/getting fit (but it's not obsessive, I've gone twice this week and once was spur of the moment decision with a friend because he invited me? Is it...?)-but makes a hell of a difference to binging.
    No cake and stuff but I just genuinely haven't fancied it? Had a couple of pints last night and a slice of pizza the other day x
    I've hit a point where I'm confused whether what I'm currently doing is disordered. I feel binging is, restricting is (but I haven't truly restricted in over a yearr), purging is, overexercising is, being scared to eat stuff is (I do get nervous around junk food but if I really want it/am with friends I could just about eat it), coping with emotions with food is, but I know I'm being more 'healthy' than is really necessary but food hasn't caused me massive concerns for the past week.
    And I haven't lost weight from calming with these self-care tactics, I've gained bloody two stone! Not to mention sleeping better and feeling calmer/a bit more confident about life...but what if it's just feeling better because I only had to deal with 'prettty' weight gain...

I'm being encouraged in threrapy to remove the labels of eating disorder, anxiety, Dyspraxia and accept I'm more than just conditions. And I feel I am. Or I could be being naive. Like I said, confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    On a related note, anyone spoken to Diamond, Custard, Brie and that lately? Haven't heard from them or some others in ages!
    Although, if they've reached a stage where they're physically and mentally healthy no longer in need of this thread, then that's the best thing for them and I wish them all the best. Just curious x
    I haven't heard from custard in aages. She HAS been about on TSR, just not here. Etoile is on holiday, thats why she's non existant atm.

So, i'm losing weight, it's giving me my desired affect - how am i supposed to stop now? :/

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've just binged on a sandwich, a jacket potato with chilli and cheese, 4 packets of Kettle Chips, 4 packets of Walkers Max paprika crisps, a family size bar of Galaxy, a 4 pack of blueberry muffins, a four pack of chocolate chip muffins, 8 biscuits, 6 sausages, 3 chicken thighs, half a loaf of bread and butter and 6 Mars bars. & then I threw it all up. This has been my worst binge and this is my lowest point. So far. Because it will only get worse, right.

Help me

(Original post by Riku)
    Oh I still lurk. I rarely post because often I'm not in the best state of mind, it's just nice to come onto the thread and read reassuring words sometimes.
    I had an occupational health appointment yesterday and they said to me if I gain weight to a certain BMI within 4 weeks they'll let me into Uni, so I'm currently forcing myself into the mindset that the short-term anxiety I feel when I eat isn't worth the long term destruction of starvation - both destruction of my future and my body.

Annnnnnnnyway, I've been reading your posts and you seem in a much better place than when you first posted here Riku, if you ever feel strong enough you should look back and see the changes you've managed and feel very proud of yourself. :hugs:

I hope everyone is staying well!

ReputationRep:
    The above was me. :pinch: Gosh darn auto-anon.

ReputationRep:
    I am really struggling right now having just eaten chips and ice cream. I feel so guilty, and at the same time so angry at myself because I've just eaten 'normally' like I used to and it's so frustrating that I now feel like crying all because of chips and ice cream. I used to love chips and ice cream (not together, I hasten to add!)

So, I'm trying to distract myself by thinking of reasons why eating that meal was a good thing.
    1) I am so tired and sore right now. I feel like I've run a marathon - my legs ache walking up the stairs, my arm muscles ache, my abs hurt. Gaining weight will make this go away; there is no other way.
    2) Forcing myself to eat (and keep down) these 'fear foods' is a step towards normality. If I keep doing it, I'll learn to enjoy them again, and they'll just be 'normal food' not 'fear food'. No food should be feared, that's dumb.
    3) It's not a good look to be able to see my ribs through my t-shirt top. It looks dreadful. Gaining weight is the only way to get rid of that awful look. And the same goes for my spine.
    4) My hair is still falling out in massive clumps. It's also the most horrible texture. Gaining weight is the only way to stop this...imagine having lovely, long, glossy hair again, and being able to enjoy going to the hairdressers once more.
    5) I have no boobs. I used to have great boobs! I want them back - again, they're not going to just magically appear, I need to put weight on!
    6) I really want to go swimming, but when I tried going for a gentle swim a few weeks ago my arms weren't strong enough. Solution? Weight gain!
    7) Laughing. Oh how I want to laugh again. I want to dance to the radio and laugh at stupid stuff and tell funny stories; the crushing depression I'm stuck with right now sucks. But I know the medicine to make it better...food. All I have to do is feed myself, and it'll get better.

Simple, right? :cool:

Heh, turns out thinking of reasons to recover is pretty therapeutic. But I'm still finding it really hard to actually eat enough to put the weight on...I'd love to know what everyone else eats in a day, because, even with chips and ice cream, it's a struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briesandwich)
    The above was me. :pinch: Gosh darn auto-anon.
    it's fun when somebody anon-fails. It's like you're playing 'Guess Who' with us all.
    I am losing it, I'm aware of that.

(Original post by .snowflake.)
    it's fun when somebody anon-fails. It's like you're playing 'Guess Who' with us all.
    I am losing it, I'm aware of that.
    Oh I didn't realise I had ruined a game by revealing myself. :eek: I should have stayed anon and given everyone clues. I am smelly and rich.
    Hope you're okay!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I didn't realise I had ruined a game by revealing myself. :eek: I should have stayed anon and given everyone clues. I am smelly and rich.
    Hope you're okay!
    :P. You have just lost the game -hides before she gets beaten- Unfortunately I'm not. I shouldnt drink so much coffee when me eating going to ****, because it makes EVERYTHING worse. the anxiety, the paranoia, the calorie counting, i stop sleeping properly, which makes me more paranoid...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.