Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Disenchanted-x)
    Oh for god's sake why is it okay to tell someone 'you've put on weight haven't you?' just because they were too skinny before? I'm now at a bmi of 18.9, physically better than I've been in years and now people have triggered me by commenting on my weight gain. Yeah they mean it in a nice way as I looked ill before but atm I can't get changed in front of a mirror and am thinking of calling off my bday party Weds because I look horrible in dresses and I feel self-conscious, low and don't want to be surrounded by food and drink.
    This was the furthest I'd got into recovery but the comments are too triggering and so inevitably the downwards spiral comes again and I'm back in this damn cycle.
    I'm pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    d, you can do this. i can't get changed infront of a mirror either, but thats because i'm actually fat, but ya know.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for god's sake why is it okay to tell someone 'you've put on weight haven't you?' just because they were too skinny before? I'm now at a bmi of 18.9, physically better than I've been in years and now people have triggered me by commenting on my weight gain. Yeah they mean it in a nice way as I looked ill before but atm I can't get changed in front of a mirror and am thinking of calling off my bday party Weds because I look horrible in dresses and I feel self-conscious, low and don't want to be surrounded by food and drink.
    This was the furthest I'd got into recovery but the comments are too triggering and so inevitably the downwards spiral comes again and I'm back in this damn cycle.
    I'm pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The other week my boyfriend said to me 'Wow, you've put on LOADS of weight since I last saw you. Well done babe.'

It had only been two days...
    They just think they're being nice x

ReputationRep:
    so frustrated Definitely didn't want to take so many steps back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    d, you can do this. i can't get changed infront of a mirror either, but thats because i'm actually fat, but ya know.
    I bet you look lovely; I feel fat but am still underweight and know that it's anorexia that says that word whereas the rational voice is happy to see my menstrual cycle back, my hair thicker, my body stronger and skin less pale. I hope you're doing okay; recovery is definitely the hardest bit, I just didn't realize how much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    The other week my boyfriend said to me 'Wow, you've put on LOADS of weight since I last saw you. Well done babe.'

It had only been two days...
    They just think they're being nice x
    Yeah your boyfriend is just being supportive; he sounds really lovely a good friend of mine set me off today because I was feeling self-conscious anyway and they suddenly said "have you put on weight in the last few days since I saw you? Cos your face looks a little fuller," then quickly added, "you look fantastic." Anorexia doesn't hear the last bit, but I guess the people are just trying to be complimentary. It would just be a lot easier if nobody commented on weight at all though!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah your boyfriend is just being supportive; he sounds really lovely a good friend of mine set me off today because I was feeling self-conscious anyway and they suddenly said "have you put on weight in the last few days since I saw you? Cos your face looks a little fuller," then quickly added, "you look fantastic." Anorexia doesn't hear the last bit, but I guess the people are just trying to be complimentary. It would just be a lot easier if nobody commented on weight at all though!
    Utopia dollface, utopia. I have no doubt you're a beautiful person; inside and out. It makes me so sad that all of us are suffering and struggling like this - but c'est la vie. All we can do is keep fighting it and get our lives back. I'm sure we're all surrounded by support, people that love us and plenty that care enormously. If not family and friends, then each other on here.

Keep going everyone!

Got some pills from the doctors for the IBS I've been experiencing this last year, hopefully they'll work. Only trouble is they have to be taken 20 minutes before meals :erm: The obvious answer is to just eat something, anything, but what is the question? Do you think a cuppa-a-soup is enough?

ReputationRep:
    This is not a thread for tips on how to indulge your ED by eating the bare minimum, anon. I would suggest you try to just take the medicine as described, with a meal, instead of trying to "trick the system".

(Original post by TotoMimo)
    This is not a thread for tips on how to indulge your ED by eating the bare minimum, anon. I would suggest you try to just take the medicine as described, with a meal, instead of trying to "trick the system".
    Sorry, I think that came off wrong.

In the last twenty minutes I have learnt why they tell you take it with a meal (it causes stomach cramps worse than the ones it's meant to solve lol) but the thing I'm unsure about is how much constitutes to a meal. We can agree that a massive plate of Sunday roast is definitely a meal but is a bowl of soup, some bread and some fruit enough of a meal?

I guess it's something I'll need to try out and experiment with, I will be trying my hardest to eat the three meals a day and I don't want to trick anything, I just don't want to start the meds working ineffectively because I've not eaten enough. If I didn't want to eat anything or wanted to just eat the bare minimum I wouldn't ask in here

I may have totally misunderstood, or be ill/in denial myself but I didn't get the impression the poster was trying to eat the bare minimum or 'trick the system'.

Good point though. Makes me wonder though, how do you know what's 'recovery' or 'progress' and what's cheating the system?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I may have totally misunderstood, or be ill/in denial myself but I didn't get the impression the poster was trying to eat the bare minimum or 'trick the system'.

Good point though. Makes me wonder though, how do you know what's 'recovery' or 'progress' and what's cheating the system?
    Basically, yes, your first line is right. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Anon, apologies for misconstruing. I'm just very protective of my sensitive brood here xx

relatively good day Random days off are gooooooooood when they are being paid :ninja:

Anon, apologies for misconstruing. I'm just very protective of my sensitive brood here xx
    S'ok :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.
    I've come back to TSR for UCAS stuff so I thought I'd pop in again.

Well, I'm STILL waiting for my referral to ED services. They've referred me 5 times now and it's just ridiculous. I'm more low than I've ever been before and it's increasingly difficult to stay awake in the day times which means I can't even get myself to my local bookshop where they might be having a job going. I'm still seeing the Home Treatment team but as one of them said yesterday, all they're doing is asking me how awful I'm feeling and then leaving. For some reason, despite the ridiculous amount of antidepressants that exist, they can't find one that will help with my mood without making me gain weight. And I'm pretty med resistant anyway. *sigh*

I hope you're all okay.

(Original post by diamonddust)
    Hey everyone.
    I've come back to TSR for UCAS stuff so I thought I'd pop in again.

Well, I'm STILL waiting for my referral to ED services. They've referred me 5 times now and it's just ridiculous. I'm more low than I've ever been before and it's increasingly difficult to stay awake in the day times which means I can't even get myself to my local bookshop where they might be having a job going. I'm still seeing the Home Treatment team but as one of them said yesterday, all they're doing is asking me how awful I'm feeling and then leaving. For some reason, despite the ridiculous amount of antidepressants that exist, they can't find one that will help with my mood without making me gain weight. And I'm pretty med resistant anyway. *sigh*

I hope you're all okay.
    -hugging you so hard right now- I'm not exactly ok. atmosphere in flat is horrendous, seem to be existing of sugar and coffee atm, and my mental state is awful (anxiety has flared up, far too ashamed to tell tutor as i'm scared i've somehow let him down), but you sound a damn sight worse, ngl. WHY won't they help my DD?

-hugging you so hard right now- I'm not exactly ok. atmosphere in flat is horrendous, seem to be existing of sugar and coffee atm, and my mental state is awful (anxiety has flared up, far too ashamed to tell tutor as i'm scared i've somehow let him down), but you sound a damn sight worse, ngl. WHY won't they help my DD?
    How have you let your tutor down?

Did he personally start your ED? Your anxiety?

Why would your tutor want to do anything other than help you? That's why they're there.

How have you let your tutor down?

Did he personally start your ED? Your anxiety?

Why would your tutor want to do anything other than help you? That's why they're there.
    because he's got 4 lovely, normal tutees and this crazy ***** who can't cope with a laboratory session without losing it.

because he's got 4 lovely, normal tutees and this crazy ***** who can't cope with a laboratory session without losing it.
    Why would that make him not want to help you?

And you don't know for sure that they're lovely and normal, they could be struggling to but go to see him about it so they're coping better.

Trust me, I didn't go and see my personal tutor in first year when I was a train wreck and I ended up failing the year and having to beg for my place to stay on to second year. If I had gone I would've received what I needed and done so much better, and felt better for the majority of the time too. It's scary but it's so important you tell them because at the end of the day you are paying a HELL of a lot for your degree, so use the resources available to you.

Snowy, is that you? *hugs* Things sound pretty difficult for you honey. I agree with anon, I would definitely advise you to go and speak to your tutor, you aren't letting ANYONE down and you don't want things to get worse because then you'll get even more anxious and feel even more trapped and it might even be more difficult to speak up later. xxxxx <3

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.