Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

(Original post by drbluebox)
    Hope someone actually answers me this time rather than avoid it!

Anyway

Spoiler:
    Show
    Basically my eating is up and down again, I go through days of living off nothing then when I get food I get a large takeaway order and eat it then next day back to basics,

For example yesterday ate a twix for breakfast just for energy and a few potatoes for lunch, day before ate 4 crumpets and a twix entire day, day before was leftover takeaway in morning and 4 crumpets in evening, day before was when I got the takeaway so got a large donner kebab(dont like donner just craved one) and a chickenburger about midnight and nothing else previous to that.

Day before was just 1 cheese toastie.

So I am eating next to nothing but due to takeaways about twice a week my weight has skyrocketed so I am bigger than ever and need to lose weight(though am healthy in every other way)
    What are you actually asking here?

It sounds like your irregular eating habits have you in a binge/restrict cycle, if you eat regular healthy meals in about a week you'll probably find you no longer eat in the same irregular manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What are you actually asking here?

It sounds like your irregular eating habits have you in a binge/restrict cycle, if you eat regular healthy meals in about a week you'll probably find you no longer eat in the same irregular manner.
    Mostly wanting opinions.

Anyway

Spoiler:
    Show
    Basically my eating is up and down again, I go through days of living off nothing then when I get food I get a large takeaway order and eat it then next day back to basics,

For example yesterday ate a twix for breakfast just for energy and a few potatoes for lunch, day before ate 4 crumpets and a twix entire day, day before was leftover takeaway in morning and 4 crumpets in evening, day before was when I got the takeaway so got a large donner kebab(dont like donner just craved one) and a chickenburger about midnight and nothing else previous to that.

So I am eating next to nothing but due to takeaways about twice a week my weight has skyrocketed so I am bigger than ever and need to lose weight(though am healthy in every other way)
    Not really sure what you're asking here but I'd say there was a bit of denial going on if you reckon your weight has increased but your eating 'next to nothing'... four crumpets and a twix is not 'next to nothing', its a fair amout of calories.
    However I hope you can sort out the irregularity of your eating habits.

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure what you're asking here but I'd say there was a bit of denial going on if you reckon your weight has increased but your eating 'next to nothing'... four crumpets and a twix is not 'next to nothing', its a fair amout of calories.
    I meant amount not calories, I eat because of boredom or to fill myself up and sometimes cravings but the cravings are mostly when I eat little for days.

ReputationRep:
    Did my last exam feel rough as, but so glad I managed to stay focused for those 3 hours and get it out of the way! Can concentrate on getting better for a little while now.
    Good luck to anyone else doing January exams atm!

ReputationRep:
    Still under the daily recommended allowance though...

ReputationRep:

Anyway

Spoiler:
    Show

I meant amount not calories, I eat because of boredom or to fill myself up and sometimes cravings but the cravings are mostly when I eat little for days.
    Hiya mate

I'm a little confused about what you're looking for. Do you want us to offer how to carry this on? Obviously no-one's going to encourage disordered habits here. Do you want us to help you find out the physical side of the problem?
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'd agree it looks like standard yo-yo dieting, you're eating loads at once then trying to compensate by eating nothing, which just doesn't work and puts you at risk (bolded the obvious red flags for you). The eating loads won't stop until you're eating more often, it's a survival mechanism. You're also eating at some iffy times, I couldn't sleep if I had dinner at midnight! On top of this a lot of what you're eating as meals is random bits and bobs. While treats are great and calories are never an issue, too many can make you feel depressed and stressed which triggers further comfort-eating and self-neglect-especially if you eat them as a replacement for meals.

I'd be interested to know what makes you feel like you don't deserve to have regular patterns of eating as well, because the irregularity concerns me. Do you not feel good about yourself and neglecting yourself in general? Or maybe everything's in a rush and it feels like there's no time to eat or relax? How do you feel before you decide to skip a meal/eat a large takeaway and how do you feel after? If you pay attention you'll probably find you're saying some bad things about yourself that knock you down and make it seem pointless. You probably need to add some more self-love and time out with simple things, like sitting down for a proper meal. It can be your own 'me'-time to let your thoughts wander or reflect on your day, or family and friend time to catch up with those you care for.

If you're eating because you're bored, you might want to look into other things to fill your day with. Any favourite hobbies? Someone, somewhere you want to go visit? The sky's the limit
    Just some thoughts.
    Take care of yourself, buddy. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Hoping everyone's exams are going OK?

Things are slowly getting better, I'm talking to more people in the real world and doing more of my old things again but I'm not sure how to handle things with my friend who's recovering from anorexia.
    Spoiler:
    Show

She's just told me online that she ate some chocolates I got her for Christmas and she's 'getting fat' from it, but she won't stop talking about it and pointing out how it's making her gain and get 'bigger'. Thing is she seems very pleased with that, keeps doing face on me. She is blatantly trying to get me to say that I am happy she's getting bigger and gaining, because I am of course, but um...I don't want her to focus on the physical side. I'd prefer that she's feeling more lively and happy like her old self, and could slowly lose focus on her body again. And also I don't feel comfy mentioning her weight directly in general because one day she'll thank me for supporting her, the next she'll lash out at me and start losing again.
    It's a little triggering for me too because I'm aware that having a history of disordered eating myself I've still got some nasty thoughts involving fat prejudice which I don't like but they might be with me for life now so I don't know what to say to someone in the earlier stages of recovery, I'm afraid I'll say something I don't mean and I could really regret. What would you say?

ReputationRep:
    Riku, your friend, does she know you've also got a psychological eating disorder?

If not, perhaps mention to her that you do, and more often than not even strict anorexics become a bit more tactful. Truth is, we are experts in not just the obsession with food and intake, but experts in detracting if food is the topic at hand!

My two pennies? More than likely she's EXPECTING fixation on the intake/,outgoing foodwise, as anorexics thrive off "oh you're getting gaunt!" or "oh, you poor thing, you look ill"; she was more likely digging for a response like "Are you kidding, you're still wafer thin!!"

Don't say that though. You're feeding the bad part. Mention you're also a bit discomforted by all this talk of food, and it as a topic is -no pun intended- off the table!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I hope you're all okay and coping well with exams. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Hoping everyone's exams are going OK?

Things are slowly getting better, I'm talking to more people in the real world and doing more of my old things again but I'm not sure how to handle things with my friend who's recovering from anorexia.
    Spoiler:
    Show

She's just told me online that she ate some chocolates I got her for Christmas and she's 'getting fat' from it, but she won't stop talking about it and pointing out how it's making her gain and get 'bigger'. Thing is she seems very pleased with that, keeps doing face on me. She is blatantly trying to get me to say that I am happy she's getting bigger and gaining, because I am of course, but um...I don't want her to focus on the physical side. I'd prefer that she's feeling more lively and happy like her old self, and could slowly lose focus on her body again. And also I don't feel comfy mentioning her weight directly in general because one day she'll thank me for supporting her, the next she'll lash out at me and start losing again.
    It's a little triggering for me too because I'm aware that having a history of disordered eating myself I've still got some nasty thoughts involving fat prejudice which I don't like but they might be with me for life now so I don't know what to say to someone in the earlier stages of recovery, I'm afraid I'll say something I don't mean and I could really regret. What would you say?
    Riku, I know that this person is your friend but you're not 100% recovered yet and this is the last thing you need.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I had a friend who had a binge-eating disorder and would recount everything that passed her lips to me, despite knowing I'm an ex-anorexic. Made me feel fat but she didn't care so I cut all ties to save my own sanity. I realised that I had to think twice about eating things. It was all too triggering so I dropped her. Sometimes you need to be selfish and cut contact or tell her that you don't mind supporting her but you don't need to hear 'I ate x and now I'm a whale' because you'll do what I do -- think 'crap, I've eaten more...I must be HUGE' which is IRRATIONAL. I don't think she's in a great place right now and the last thing you need is to be dragged down with her. Support her if you must but at a distance. I would honestly say that you should give her a firm chat and tell her that you're her friend, you're there for her but there are some things you can't deal with hearing yet.
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Riku, your friend, does she know you've also got a psychological eating disorder?

If not, perhaps mention to her that you do, and more often than not even strict anorexics become a bit more tactful. Truth is, we are experts in not just the obsession with food and intake, but experts in detracting if food is the topic at hand!

My two pennies? More than likely she's EXPECTING fixation on the intake/,outgoing foodwise, as anorexics thrive off "oh you're getting gaunt!" or "oh, you poor thing, you look ill"; she was more likely digging for a response like "Are you kidding, you're still wafer thin!!"

Don't say that though. You're feeding the bad part. Mention you're also a bit discomforted by all this talk of food, and it as a topic is -no pun intended- off the table!
    She does Toto, it came out fairly early on. she couldn't avoid noticing and mentioning some of the things I was eating...I'm not sure whether she's trying to egg on my recovery through her own, but there's certain limits which I'm not yet comfy with that she might have passed already in another way? To be honest it's slightly annoying because she's being a bit of a mum figure and I reckon she's in a worse place than me now-I think that's a way to take attention off herself though, and the questions about her gaining are traps. But I could be wrong.
    Good pun all the same :P

(Original post by jazzykinks)
    Riku, I know that this person is your friend but you're not 100% recovered yet and this is the last thing you need.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I had a friend who had a binge-eating disorder and would recount everything that passed her lips to me, despite knowing I'm an ex-anorexic. Made me feel fat but she didn't care so I cut all ties to save my own sanity. I realised that I had to think twice about eating things. It was all too triggering so I dropped her. Sometimes you need to be selfish and cut contact or tell her that you don't mind supporting her but you don't need to hear 'I ate x and now I'm a whale' because you'll do what I do -- think 'crap, I've eaten more...I must be HUGE' which is IRRATIONAL. I don't think she's in a great place right now and the last thing you need is to be dragged down with her. Support her if you must but at a distance. I would honestly say that you should give her a firm chat and tell her that you're her friend, you're there for her but there are some things you can't deal with hearing yet.
    x
    I don't think I could let myself do that to her right now, Jazzy : / I'm not entirely sure she has many other friends, she's only got me and one other on Facebook and she mentions them all the time, but I've never seen them or heard anyone else who knew them. They were supposed to come to the pictures with us for weeks and then were apparently busy last minute. I don't know. I'm a little worried for her.
    What confuses me is the way she'll play mind-games, it's like she'll pretend to be working towards recovery and use it as a weapon against me. I know it's bad enough telling anyone a straight answer to 'does this make me look fat', let alone an anorexic.
    Hope we can find some mid-way point. x

(Original post by diamonddust)
    Hey guys, I hope you're all okay and coping well with exams. xx
    Same to you, Diamond! :hugs: x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    I don't think I could let myself do that to her right now, Jazzy : / I'm not entirely sure she has many other friends, she's only got me and one other on Facebook and she mentions them all the time, but I've never seen them or heard anyone else who knew them. They were supposed to come to the pictures with us for weeks and then were apparently busy last minute. I don't know. I'm a little worried for her.
    What confuses me is the way she'll play mind-games, it's like she'll pretend to be working towards recovery and use it as a weapon against me. I know it's bad enough telling anyone a straight answer to 'does this make me look fat', let alone an anorexic.
    Hope we can find some mid-way point. x
    I know how you feel -- I had the same thing. There were people in hospital that I knew weren't particularly great for me mentally but I couldn't exactly give up on them. I'm not saying you absolutely have to but maybe place some boundaries? As you said, that would be a mid-point. She's wrong to put you in the position where you have to say whether she's fat or not! The problem about her playing mind-games is the fact that she's still not thinking straight and the illness is still quite strong within her. Just try and talk to her and lay down some rules, in a sense. x

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know what to do!!!!

I'm 13 years old and have a BMI of 15.9

I keep on getting pains in my stomach and i eat loads of food but never put any weight on ?? can anybody help me please?????:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I've been doing pretty well lately..but today I feel really awful. I don't even know where it come from, I feel fat - I know I'm not fat, but I feel I'm carrying extra weight. When I look at my stomach it's as though I'm seeing flab that wasn't there the previous day. Went to read a book I'm enjoying and I couldn't even read, I literally feel too low to read.

(Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Okay, so I've been doing pretty well lately..but today I feel really awful. I don't even know where it come from, I feel fat - I know I'm not fat, but I feel I'm carrying extra weight. When I look at my stomach it's as though I'm seeing flab that wasn't there the previous day. Went to read a book I'm enjoying and I couldn't even read, I literally feel too low to read.
    oooh, babes -cuddles- I was like this yesterday, paranoid i've put ****tonnes of weight on over xmas,

Spoiler:
    Show
    yet have managed to fit into a pair of skinnies that are a 10 from next...

so thats messing with my head, all of my really slim flatmates are complaining they've put on loads of weight and i have AGES until my exams. I just want them over and done with tbqh, before bad things happen i.e that i think not eating is a good idea.

My tutor CANNOT know about this, he already knows about my panic attacks and all that jazz, and i can't give the university another reason they can use to get rid of me. I shouldn't even be here in the first place, i missed my offer at A level and for some reason they went 'we'll take her anyway'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiachick1999)
    Well I don't know what to do!!!!

I'm 13 years old and have a BMI of 15.9

I keep on getting pains in my stomach and i eat loads of food but never put any weight on ?? can anybody help me please?????:confused:
    This sounds more physical than mental, and I think it's best you see a doctor; it's probably got more to do with your thyroid/metabolism or other underlying illness rather than an eating disorder.
    Make an appointment and put your mind at rest

ReputationRep:
    urgh. that anon was me...

ReputationRep:
    oooh, babes -cuddles- I was like this yesterday, paranoid i've put ****tonnes of weight on over xmas,

Spoiler:
    Show
    yet have managed to fit into a pair of skinnies that are a 10 from next...

so thats messing with my head, all of my really slim flatmates are complaining they've put on loads of weight and i have AGES until my exams. I just want them over and done with tbqh, before bad things happen i.e that i think not eating is a good idea.

My tutor CANNOT know about this, he already knows about my panic attacks and all that jazz, and i can't give the university another reason they can use to get rid of me. I shouldn't even be here in the first place, i missed my offer at A level and for some reason they went 'we'll take her anyway'
    Thank you, I think it's probably a case of the January blues. I don't think only us with an ED go through these thoughts. And regarding exams, if you want to do well..you need to FEED your brain. It would be the worst time to fall back into that trap, and don't think when you finish them you can restrict either. It's a endless cycle that you need to break out of for good, don't look to it as a comfort blanket or a familiar place. Because if ED was a blanket, it would be rougher than sandpaper, full of spikes and laced with stinging nettles. And who wants to sleep with that?

ReputationRep:
    It's weird because... Listen to this.

After hard recovery I am..

8st1.
    5'7.
    bmi18.4.
    Bf%12.5.

I have a healthy body fat but not frame, yet my uncle said I was " looking like ye've been enjoying yer cakes".

your body is desperate to regenerate, and pussyfooting around with "trying to recover" will result in "desperate regeneration" which isn't great.

Heal yourself PROPERLY.

PAPA TOTO HAS SPOKEN.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.