Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is there anyone in this thread with bullimia or a history of bullimia or are you all anorexics?
    Could really do with someone to talk to.
    We tend towards anorexia nervosa/ EDNOS, but there are a few BED sufferers on here. Is anyone else really suffering with the cold? I'm in absolute agony with my ankles/ elbow this evening. Slightly worried with the amount of snow we have had in the past few hours that my tesco delivery won't arrive. Which means i'm living off toast until it does.

I've been a purging bulimiac for the past year and a half !

ReputationRep:
    tesco can't/ wont deliver, so it's unlikely that we'll get the post delivered today as well. Looks like its going to be tuesday before i can get to tescos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Went to see a psychiatric nurse today to discuss my issue. It's so frustrating that she wouldn't take anything I said on board. Also, she kept insisting the reason why I'm binging and purging is all rounded to emotional problems. When I suggested maybe it's to do with just how the way neuropathways are firing, she took offence, as if I attacked her intelligence.

Then I asked about a drug (topamax) which is prescribed "off label" in the US to treat B.E.D and she was like "oh no no we can't do that, we can only prescribe drugs for what they actually are meant for" or something.

Apparently, the next step involves collating all the patients "scenarios" they get in a week, discuss them with a psychiatrist and psychologist and decide who gets what, which I think is bull****. Why did I not get a chance to speak to all 3 differently.

Argh!!!
    Just an update, she said she'd phone me yesterday to let me know what the next step.

She didn't which I just knew would have happened. At the time (towards the end of the discussion), I even mentioned that I was worried that they/she would just neglect me because I suggested an alternative (i.e it wasn't emotional problems, binges were most likely caused by my "wiring" and I might as well tackle the binges with a pill, whilst address the other issue on the side - no point "self-harming" myself whilst trying to revert my personality).

She must have felt like her integrity was under attack because she replied with, "Why are you so paranoid?"...****ing useless!!

On the upside, I haven't binged/purged in a week :woo:. It's the small steps that count.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I need to get out of this mindset.. no idea how to stop it, and I feel myself getting worse and worse. I don't know why I'm even writing this.

ReputationRep:
    Toto, I love you. Honestly, you're so inspirational. I know I'm recovered but I still read your posts/replies because you just have incredible way of putting things across. The silly repping thing isn't allowing me to rep you because I do it too often! x

ReputationRep:
    Ive driven everyone away and I can't cope anymore. I hate this. I feel like I can't live without this. I don't know how to fix it. I don't know what to do :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone in this thread with bullimia or a history of bullimia or are you all anorexics?
    Could really do with someone to talk to.
    Medically speaking, I have anorexia binge-purge subtype, however I completely identify with the binge/purge bulimic cycle. Here if you want someone to talk to, take care.

ReputationRep:
    Had a bad day and feeling it now :/ Why do I put myself through this!?!

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm bulimic. Had a bad day, got disturbed so couldn't purge and decided laxatives would be a good idea. I don't think I will ever leave the toilet :'(

ReputationRep:
    Don't think there's much you can do now... Just try and keep hydrated and keep your electrolytes in check; sports drinks are good. Tomorrow is a new day... Remember how horrible this feels; is this any better than the initial trigger for the binge?
    Keep fighting, there is hope. It's just a little hard to find at times...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnome :))
    Don't think there's much you can do now... Just try and keep hydrated and keep your electrolytes in check; sports drinks are good. Tomorrow is a new day... Remember how horrible this feels; is this any better than the initial trigger for the binge?
    Keep fighting, there is hope. It's just a little hard to find at times...
    I know the drill, its not a regular thing, only when I'm not able to expell things the other way. I wish this would stop me ... I wish I could stop it but its been nearly 7 years so losing hope on recovery. Final year stress and upcoming interviews in alien cities probably aren't helping!

ReputationRep:
    I know the feelings (unfortunately). I guess the cycle does serve a purpose, however destructive it is. It helps me get through the day, despite causing so many issues of its own.
    That does sound stressful! What are you being interviewed for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnome :))
    I know the feelings (unfortunately). I guess the cycle does serve a purpose, however destructive it is. It helps me get through the day, despite causing so many issues of its own.
    That does sound stressful! What are you being interviewed for?
    Definitely gets me through the day, try not to think about the issues that it can cause. Glamorous lifestyle though, sounds like you can relate *hugs*

Interviews for PhDs. I don't want to go to another Uni but can't afford to stay here, hence strange cities. Add in that it looks like I won't get a 2:1 and you have a b/p mess, as you need a 2:1 for everything graduate level nowadays.

Feel so disgusting and humiliated right now. Just literally want to escape home.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Basically since started univerisity been with some bulimic tendencies - not nearlyoften enough to be diagnosed (maybe one a month, a lot better this year) but a couple of days ago just felt horrible and purged, but for the first time in maybe two months. Be warned - disgusting part coming up - 'cleaned' up everything afterwards, bleached, but apparently the water has been draining from the plughole very slowly past couple of days. So come home, two of my housemates just took apart the pipe and a plunger and told me stony faced that it was blocked with food, and they were going to call the plumber people tomrow :argh:. (Very little there could actually have been, but needless to say I am absolutely MORTIFIED.) Just want to cry and don't know what to do, 2am now,they've just finally gone to bed declaring that they will have to use my other housemate's ensuite, so she will find out and think i'm a disgusting nutter too. I know its my own fault but just feel like I can'tface them ever again, so will just have to leave, i just feel so disgusting and humiliated. To make it worse (and what really hurt) one of them has just written a facebook status about having to 'make a bit of a living as a plumbber due to my stupid housemate', 'liked' by the other. Not the first time he's insulted be via facebook status either.
    Anyone maybe ever ben in a similar situation? Sorry for the massive rant guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GooglyEyedMonster)
    Definitely gets me through the day, try not to think about the issues that it can cause. Glamorous lifestyle though, sounds like you can relate *hugs*

Interviews for PhDs. I don't want to go to another Uni but can't afford to stay here, hence strange cities. Add in that it looks like I won't get a 2:1 and you have a b/p mess, as you need a 2:1 for everything graduate level nowadays.
    Oh wow, I hope you find somewhere you like. Maybe try on focus on one thing at a time? The stress of thinking about the interviews and the additional stress of thinking about the work/grades must be really tough and overwhelming. Do your tutors/lecturors know what's going on?

Feel so disgusting and humiliated right now. Just literally want to escape home.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Basically since started univerisity been with some bulimic tendencies - not nearlyoften enough to be diagnosed (maybe one a month, a lot better this year) but a couple of days ago just felt horrible and purged, but for the first time in maybe two months. Be warned - disgusting part coming up - 'cleaned' up everything afterwards, bleached, but apparently the water has been draining from the plughole very slowly past couple of days. So come home, two of my housemates just took apart the pipe and a plunger and told me stony faced that it was blocked with food, and they were going to call the plumber people tomrow :argh:. (Very little there could actually have been, but needless to say I am absolutely MORTIFIED.) Just want to cry and don't know what to do, 2am now,they've just finally gone to bed declaring that they will have to use my other housemate's ensuite, so she will find out and think i'm a disgusting nutter too. I know its my own fault but just feel like I can'tface them ever again, so will just have to leave, i just feel so disgusting and humiliated. To make it worse (and what really hurt) one of them has just written a facebook status about having to 'make a bit of a living as a plumbber due to my stupid housemate', 'liked' by the other. Not the first time he's insulted be via facebook status either.
    Not quite the same but I've had the same situation at home and my parents found it, it's definitely not a nice situation to be in -hugs-

Could you sit down and talk to your housemates? Say something along the lines of "Look, I'm sorry about what happened and feel horrible for it, but I have an illness and I need support, not criticism"?
    Sorry don't really know what to suggest, but sending massive hugs :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    The idea of using laxatives scares the **** (excuse the pun) out of me, which is pretty weird considering I'm the vomming type :laugh:.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I have. Had a terrible binge/purge day, "spilt" it everywhere but didn't bother cleaning up at the time because I was so fatigued and sore. Flatmate turns up a lot lot earlier than planned, and she is the neurotic, OCD sort of person and cleaned up my mess. I felt ashamed and terrible.

(Original post by GooglyEyedMonster)

I think I'm going to be lucky to get a 2:2 Which is stressing me out, causing me to perform more damaging/risk taking behaviours and eating habits, which is then stressing me out even more... :rolleyes: :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    An interesting speculation with regards to Anorexia Nervosa/Bulimia Nervosa and the "secrecy" issue.

The irony is that despite the fact everyone around us notice and outright KNOW we're doing what we're doing - don't kid yourself, your flatmates hear you vomiting and your mum knows you're tipping food into the bin - you thrive on the self satisfaction of "feeling like you're getting away with it."

It's partially down to the mentality of the "bubble world." It's safe. It's absolute. You want that little bubble to be yours, and yours alone. And as such you try to keep so much secret, despite the fact it's absolutely overt and obvious.

You think your pals don't notice you never really buy food or eat lunch with them? That you conveniently need to "go pee" just after your lunch, and disappear for twenty minutes every time? Everyone sees it. Nobody is that stupid. But we convince ourselves we're sneaky and clever, and the ED is secret. The irony being, everyone sees what you're doing, but they're just too afraid to mention it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    The idea of using laxatives scares the **** (excuse the pun) out of me, which is pretty weird considering I'm the vomming type :laugh:.

I have. Had a terrible binge/purge day, "spilt" it everywhere but didn't bother cleaning up at the time because I was so fatigued and sore. Flatmate turns up a lot lot earlier than planned, and she is the neurotic, OCD sort of person and cleaned up my mess. I felt ashamed and terrible.
    Please don't use laxatives .. It's not a nice place to be in

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pregnant and I hvae no idea what effect this ED is going to have on it. So scared.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.