Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

Announcements

(Original post by lilmissshady)
    is being genetically thin an eating disorder? I mean I eat like a
    pig but never gain weight, I have the anorexic label on me for no reason, it's terrible 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's only an eating disorder if your eating shows disordered behavior.

Clue's in the name really..

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't think i'm bulimic, however, by internet standards I probably am. I don't binge purge regularly. Sometimes 3 times a day then sometimes twice a week; guess it all depends. I've always thought it's just a phase, except it's been around 4 years, I think. Recently i've been experiencing medical side effects. After eating, the food is constantly being brought back up. I try to swallow it again when I can, it's just horrible. It happened in front of my mum the other day, it was so forceful that a bit came out of my mouth. Is this as a result of purging? I always have a bad taste in my mouth and I feel like I have bad breath, I don't know if I do or not :/ Also, not often, once every few months I get this intense burning pain in my upper abdomen, between my bottom ribs, it's excruciating, never seems to be regular though; could this be connected?
    Could be rumination syndrome? Also, you do n't have to vomit to be classified as bulimic, there are other forms (laxatives, prolonged exercise and/or fasting/binging behaviour).
    Could also be you've ate too much/too fast and your stomach can't handle it (although of course this is unlikely to be a repetitive process).

(Original post by lilmissshady)
    is being genetically thin an eating disorder? I mean I eat like a
    pig but never gain weight, I have the anorexic label on me for no reason, it's terrible
    Thinking you have an eating disorder and describing it simply as "terrible" is ****ing disrespectful to the numerous people who have posted on this thread. You don't know what terrible is, believe me.

ReputationRep:
    Could be rumination syndrome? Also, you do n't have to vomit to be classified as bulimic, there are other forms (laxatives, prolonged exercise and/or fasting/binging behaviour).
    Could also be you've ate too much/too fast and your stomach can't handle it (although of course this is unlikely to be a repetitive process).

Thinking you have an eating disorder and describing it simply as "terrible" is ****ing disrespectful to the numerous people who have posted on this thread. You don't know what terrible is, believe me.
    apologies to everyone, I did not realize I came off like that, but me being labelled as anorexic every single day is my daily battle, I'm sick of giving explanations and somehow I've been forced into believing I have an eating disorder, my metabolism is so fast it's worrisome...I thought maybe eating ALOT (like a fat person) and not putting on weight could be a disorder too, now I know it isn't..thanks y'all

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just googled it, thank you. I'd never heard of it, it could well be. I don't really want to go to the doctors about it though. I wish it was the latter suggestion. I couldn't eat a bowl of cereal this morning normally though without it coming back up in my mouth. I'm finding things really hard to put in to words. I mean, I eat normal, usually slightly smaller meals and this is fine. I've got a devilish sweet tooth and I usually find myself purging after eating too much sugar. I guess that's my verbal avoidance of saying I binge on sweet things. I don't excessively binge though .. I don't think :/

One of my friends was diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa a year ago, i've seen what a tough time she's been through. Hospitalised, sectioned; and i'm not like that. I feel like i'm creating over nothing. I think that's why I don't believe I have a problem or this is my reason for denying things. I'm not obsessed with my body or image, yet I still purge. It's just confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Nearly got hospitalised this week because my GP didn't believe I hadn't eaten for 4 days because my throat was so swollen that I couldn't. Luckily a second dr looked and saw how swollen it was and actually helped rather than just threatening me and blaming me

(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    Nearly got hospitalised this week because my GP didn't believe I hadn't eaten for 4 days because my throat was so swollen that I couldn't. Luckily a second dr looked and saw how swollen it was and actually helped rather than just threatening me and blaming me
    -glomps-

(Original post by JLW95)

On a separate note I finally posted this http://jlwarner.blogspot.co.uk/ to my closest friends yesterday explaining why I've been off school and why I have not had any contact with them up until now. The amount of support that my friends have given me has made me feel great, and reminded me there is so much more to life than losing weight .
    Jeez, did you just steal my diaries from a couple of years back and tell my story?!?!
    Seriously, apart from being female and my subject being maths not history, it's spot on!
    On a brighter note, I am now at uni, studying maths and my weight has been in a 'healthy range' for around a year now, and although I still struggle sometimes with bad thoughts, I'm in a much better place now.
    I wish you all the best for continuing your recovery and moving forward with your life!
    Take care
    J x

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, did you just steal my diaries from a couple of years back and tell my story?!?!
    Seriously, apart from being female and my subject being maths not history, it's spot on!
    On a brighter note, I am now at uni, studying maths and my weight has been in a 'healthy range' for around a year now, and although I still struggle sometimes with bad thoughts, I'm in a much better place now.
    I wish you all the best for continuing your recovery and moving forward with your life!
    Take care
    J x
    Thank you . I'm glad that you've done well in recovery .

________________________________ _____________________________

A bit of a negative here I'm afraid

Spoiler:
    Show
    On a bit of a more negative note, how long does the urge to binge last for? Despite trying my hardest to recover and establish a better and more healthy eating pattern for my body I'm still eating a hell of a lot more than I should be on my meal plan, and still feel incredibly bad afterwards. I feel bad as I'm trying to cover my binges by hiding evidence away from my family . I'm safely in my target weight range now, but I still feel like all I want to do is eat. Several times now I've ate to the point of feeling sick and ate to the point where I had to rush to the toilet and just strained myself in the hope of getting it all out I feel like I'm just going from one eating disorder straight to another .My father says I'm not really binging, but I know I am. Any advice please?

Sorry I'm going back to my negative patterns. I really want to become healthy again, and am trying my best. I find writing things like that blog helps me rationalise and explain things, but I still can't eat normally again . I'm following the excellent advice some of you have given in the past, and I know the Your Eatopia website says extreme hunger is a phase of recovery, but this feels ridiculous. I just wish my eating problems would just go away .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLW95)
    Thank you . I'm glad that you've done well in recovery .

________________________________ _____________________________

A bit of a negative here I'm afraid

Spoiler:
    Show
    On a bit of a more negative note, how long does the urge to binge last for? Despite trying my hardest to recover and establish a better and more healthy eating pattern for my body I'm still eating a hell of a lot more than I should be on my meal plan, and still feel incredibly bad afterwards. I feel bad as I'm trying to cover my binges by hiding evidence away from my family . I'm safely in my target weight range now, but I still feel like all I want to do is eat. Several times now I've ate to the point of feeling sick and ate to the point where I had to rush to the toilet and just strained myself to get it all out I feel like I'm just going from one eating disorder straight to another .My father says I'm not really binging, but I know I am. Any advice please?

Sorry I'm going back to my negative patterns. I really want to become healthy again, and am trying my best. I find writing things like that blog helps me rationalise and explain things, but I still can't eat normally again . I just wish my eating problems would just go away .
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I went through this extreme hunger well into the healthy weight range but it did stop. It took me to gain until the weight I was before the eating disorder (which was on the higher end of the normal range)... I guess because that is my body's natural set point. Maybe your body still has quite a bit of repairing to do? This out of control feeling will stop in time provided you don't start purging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinnie)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I went through this extreme hunger well into the healthy weight range but it did stop. It took me to gain until the weight I was before the eating disorder (which was on the higher end of the normal range)... I guess because that is my body's natural set point. Maybe your body still has quite a bit of repairing to do? This out of control feeling will stop in time provided you don't start purging.

Thank you Cinnie. I really don't want to start purging, and am doing all I can to prevent the urge, and it really is the last thing I want at the moment. I'm just terrified of the extra weight I'm carrying.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm worrying as I went up above 16 stone before my set point is higher than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLW95)
    Thank you Cinnie. I really don't want to start purging, and am doing all I can to prevent the urge, and it really is the last thing I want at the moment. I'm just terrified of the extra weight I'm carrying.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm worrying as I went up above 16 stone before my set point is higher than that.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't be so hard on yourself I'm sure you are not carrying extra weight - as you said, you are in your target range. I'm just curious - when you find yourself overeating, is it very carbohydrate based? Eating lots of quick release carbohydrates will create a cycle of craving and it's something that I have to keep an eye on.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't be so hard on yourself I'm sure you are not carrying extra weight - as you said, you are in your target range. I'm just curious - when you find yourself overeating, is it very carbohydrate based? Eating lots of quick release carbohydrates will create a cycle of craving and it's something that I have to keep an eye on.
    It's mostly simple carbohydrates such as jam, hot cross buns, crumpets etc, which were put in on my meal plan, but I find once I start eating them I just want more. I do also have occasional fats binges such as cream, soft cheese or peanut butter.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yesterday I managed to polish off 3/4 of a jar of peanut butter for example. It really annoys me in a way that my meal plan is so carbohydrate based as I find that carbohydrates really don't fill me up and just leave me wanting more. I said that to the lead dietian and she just introduced more carbohydrates into my meal plan! I know if you believe the current health guidelines (which from my experience, I don't) that you're supposed to base your diet on starchy carbohydrates, but I really don't find them satisfying and find they just leave me wanting more and more, and then giving me massive guilt feelings after. At the same time I feel like I'm just becoming one of those teenage boys who isn't happy unless he's eating protein, as I don't seem happy unless I'm eating protein based foods, which I see as safe.

ReputationRep:
    Hope everyone's doing okay
    I'm doing my best to resist these stupid ruminations and just have some fun/get something useful done over Easter.
    I've got some goals now, one of them is turn my study habits around and get my degree, another is get fit but the healthy and fun way, but it's not the main goal
    and the reason I want to get fit is for this summer placement in Greece to study the Ancient Greeks and Byzantine Empire by the sounds of it it's a lot of hiking, so I need to get myself in a good mindset and look after my body starting now to be ready. Get my strength and enthusiasm up like it used to be

Incredibly competitive but fingers crossed I get in! I want this trip soo badly, grades haven't been amazing this year compared to some applicants I'm sure, but I've always loved ancient history and hope that passion shines through in my statement. Takes me back to when I was 5 and first came across mythology when I saw Disney's Hercules, wanted to go around slaying hydras all day :P

Need to keep up this positive energy and the most important thing is to not give one about what anyone thinks of what I'm doing. Which is admittedly very hard because I want to please the people I love and have gone to some great lengths to do that : / but I think they'll be happiest when they see me happy doing what I love
    and for that matter, what's wrong with enthusiasm and ambition? I see so many guys my age trying to be cool by not appearing to care and they look like they're watching paint dry half the time. Maybe the little boy in me is what the man in me needs to make it through adulthood with soul intact.

:hugs:

Hi, (i've posted this as a separate topic, but didn't know if I'd get any more feedback from being posted in this thread as it's specifically EDs)
    I'm currently at uni (home for easter) and have suffered with anorexia for 3 years - I was hospitalised for a time, but have managed to stay out for just over 2 years, despite being at a low weight.
    However, since Christmas, my weight has dropped and I've just calculated my BMI to be 13.3.
    My mum is worried and wants to take me to the doctors, but I'm scared I'm going to be pulled out of uni - which I love - and put into a hospital again.
    The uni course is intense but I love it, and have made loads of friends and am relatively happy there.
    I do feel like the ED has gotten worse - I'm always thinking about food, compared to before, when I wasn't so much; I've passed out once and was taken to hospital due to hypoglycaemia. I'm just so scared about having to leave uni for what would be a year.. I feel quite settled but at the same time, I know that this ED has got a tighter grip on me than ever before.
    I'm also worried that if I was put in a hospital, like my previous other 2 admissions it'd just be weight gain - nothing in my head would change and I'd still be stuck.
    I don't really know why I'm posting this, just maybe for some support or advice from anyone else who has had to leave uni/take a year out for this reason?
    I feel like I don't want to admit defeat, and unless threatened with a section, I don't think I'd go to hospital... It's like I'd need the decision made for me (like in the past - though I've never been sectioned, only come very close to it)
    Thanks for reading this...

ReputationRep:
    Hi Riku, glad you're doing so well

(Original post by JLW95)
    x
    Edited =
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I totally agree about the simple carbohydrates. I have had to eliminate them completely from my life and I don't care what any nutritionist says. I still eat high fibre low sugar carbs, and I find that I am far more grounded and satisfied (and never hungry). Advocado and goats cheese in a lettuce wrap is the dogs bo*****s

Edit: But trust your dietitian over me, they are the professional

ReputationRep:
    Hi Riku, glad you're doing so well

Spoiler:
    Show
    I totally agree about the simple carbohydrates. I have had to eliminate them completely from my life and I don't care what any nutritionist says. I still eat high fibre low sugar carbs, and I find that I am far more grounded and satisfied (and never hungry). If I were you i'd get a protein, fat and low GI carb in every meal and snack on fruits, veggies, protein and fats like nuts. (Advocado and goats cheese in a lettuce wrap is the dogs bo*****s)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I feel like my problem is I'm too trusting of others. Basically I want to recover so I stick to the meal plan that my dietians gave me. However, that involves eating 'a healthy amount' of what can only be described crap, which makes me feel awful, and having to eat snacks when I'm really not hungry. Then once I start eating those crap, simple snacks, I just want more and more. I've gone from only ever eating low GI carbohydrates to only eating around 40 - 50% of my carbohydrates being high GI. I'm torn. I really want to recover, so I trust the dietians even though it goes against everything inside me, but I feel like I want to try and create my own meal plan which is more balanced, yet I know if I do that it would only be a matter of time before I restrict again. I feel like there's no winning .

Spoiler:
    Show
    Feel absolutely ****ing gross today. Only been home two days but the last three days at uni were with my parents so we went out to eat every night. Looked in the mirror this morning and I look like I've gained a stone, my face is all fat and fleshy :sad: I don't know what to do. I have too much work to do to work out and I have NO control here over food at all. It's everywhere.

Sorry :sad: I know this isn't really the place for this but I needed to let it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLW95)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I feel like my problem is I'm too trusting of others. Basically I want to recover so I stick to the meal plan that my dietians gave me. However, that involves eating 'a healthy amount' of what can only be described crap, which makes me feel awful, and having to eat snacks when I'm really not hungry. Then once I start eating those crap, simple snacks, I just want more and more. I've gone from only ever eating low GI carbohydrates to only eating around 40 - 50% of my carbohydrates being high GI. I'm torn. I really want to recover, so I trust the dietians even though it goes against everything inside me, but I feel like I want to try and create my own meal plan which is more balanced, yet I know if I do that it would only be a matter of time before I restrict again. I feel like there's no winning .
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You should never feel guilty about eating high GI carbs and you don't have to be following your meal plan for the rest of your life, but your dietitian probably feels it's important to expose you to regularly eating them until you aren't so worried about them. At the end of the day (despite what you and I feel about certain carbs), trust your dietitians over your eating disorder, because as you say, it's better than restricting. Definitely discuss the hunger aspect with them and see what they can do xx My feelings on carbs may have been a bit triggering so I apologise - I am in the position where there is no danger of me restricting, so it's not a problem for me to make my own rules :P

ReputationRep:
    Your body reacts to a mild overeat in a very specific way, and it's relative to how much you starve.

For example, the more you starve, the more your body "panic stores". But it's never "fat" or "blubber". It's a mixture of internal sodium, water and lipid storage, and it's almost always temporary.

Let me use myself as an example. I have been tested for my own personal basal metabolic rate and gauged based around a relatively sedentary lifestyle; since my anorexia crumbled my spinal column, it has recently started fusing in the lumbar region resulting in me no longer able to exercise, let alone to excess like I used to - this means on a normal day, I need about 1820 calories if I do almost nothing. Let me stress this - I am NOT a tall man. (In fact, I have lost 3/4 of an inch in height to 5'7" thanks to by eroding bones!!). So yes, I do not need to "recommended 2000" per day, to be totally sedentary, but I still need a decent feed.

Yesterday I ate this, but then mum stopped by with BluRays and my Easter Egg. And guess what? I thought I'd enjoy the treat and I almost ate the lot! Brought my day's total to 2600 - and I never have this much. If my body was going at normal metabolic rate (and I was CONSISTENTLY sticking to my regime of eating to maintenance calories) - this is 800 surplus calorie units. What this equates to is roughly one quarter of a pound of potential gain (water, fat, sodium). A QUARTER POUND. For going nuts and eating an entire easter egg over ALL my calories for the day needed!

If I had been eating to deficit, the body would store far, far more. I believe the ratio in recent studies shows that for every hundred calories you eat to deficit daily, when you consume over maintenance your body increases absorbtion by up to 35% (one third). Meaning, the more you starve, when you go over what your body TRULY needs, it panics, goes into hoarding mode, and absorbs up to a third more calories to store on your body it would naturally simply process.

It seems to not make any sense, that you should eat more, and CONSISTENTLY, based on what your body needs, so when you have an "off day" and eat a ton more, you don't gain nearly as much, regardless of how marginal that gain might've been in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    Dear All

I am writing to let you know of the one day workshops that we run called Introduction to Health at Every Size. The next workshop is on the 15th April at Kings college London.

We offer a discounted rate to students for £50. The course is accredited by the British Dietetic Association therefore contributes to CED points. For more info google Well Founded and check out our website.

all the best

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.