Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinnie)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You should never feel guilty about eating high GI carbs and you don't have to be following your meal plan for the rest of your life, but your dietitian probably feels it's important to expose you to regularly eating them until you aren't so worried about them. At the end of the day (despite what you and I feel about certain carbs), trust your dietitians over your eating disorder, because as you say, it's better than restricting. Definitely discuss the hunger aspect with them and see what they can do xx My feelings on carbs may have been a bit triggering so I apologise - I am in the position where there is no danger of me restricting, so it's not a problem for me to make my own rules :P
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's okay . I suppose she wants me get me to regularly eat carbohydrates again, but I just feel she may have gone a bit overboard with them. It also just doesn't feel right for me for a dietian to be advocating eating chocolate or hot cross buns. I'm looking forward to the day when I can be like you and be in a position where the thought of restricting no longer looms over my mind .

Toto,

I suppose that would explain why I seem to have piled weight on next to no time at all. I suppose it's just the effect of only feeding a growing tall teenage boy an average of 700 - 900 calories a day for a year . My parents have said how they really haven't noticed any increase in my weight, but I feel like it's just too much to be mostly what you described. That's why I'm sticking to the diet plan that the dietian has provided me with despite it feeling completely wrong to me .

Thanks to both of you for your advice .

ReputationRep:
    I'm Lucy, 13
    I am in recovery for:
    Severe Anxiety Disorder
    Severe Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
    Eating Disorder (Anorexia/Bulimia)
    Paranoia
    Mild Depression.

I know i'm only 13 but it didn't make it any better with people saying your to young to worry like this its stupid you should love life.

I have been discharged from therapy for all of these and i am a lot better than I was. Obviously i relapse.

The best advice i actually have is break your scales, i weighed 6 stone 10 and i'm 5"4 that was obviously not very good. But the thing that got me worried was putting on even the slightest bit of weight but you don't know if you cant weigh yourself as you cant really see when someone puts on like a pound so it goes unnoticed and you think your the same weight.

I'm almost fully recovered now which is great and in the long run it was really tough but now it was worth the breakdowns and relapses . stay strong

-Lucy xoxo

(Original post by jowithers)
    Dear All

I am writing to let you know of the one day workshops that we run called Introduction to Health at Every Size. The next workshop is on the 15th April at Kings college London.

We offer a discounted rate to students for £50. The course is accredited by the British Dietetic Association therefore contributes to CED points. For more info google Well Founded and check out our website.

all the best
    Sounds good. How much is it for the unemployed?

ReputationRep:
    made fairycakes and buttercream. now to see if i have the balls to eat them.

ReputationRep:
    I respect you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    made fairycakes and buttercream. now to see if i have the balls to eat them.
    Go girl! What's the worst that can happen? Just think, how often do you see perfectly slim and beautiful girls eating the odd fairy cake? It didn't make them balloon overnight and it wont you! All in moderation. X

(Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Go girl! What's the worst that can happen? Just think, how often do you see perfectly slim and beautiful girls eating the odd fairy cake? It didn't make them balloon overnight and it wont you! All in moderation. X
    they were amazing. not going to lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    they were amazing. not going to lie.
    Good, I'm glad! Your post also made me have a bit of a sweet craving so I went and had my bar of toffee crisp I'd had in the cupboard for a while now but not had the courage to eat. I guess I was kinda swayed by my own words of encouragement! Practice what thou preaches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Good, I'm glad! Your post also made me have a bit of a sweet craving so I went and had my bar of toffee crisp I'd had in the cupboard for a while now but not had the courage to eat. I guess I was kinda swayed by my own words of encouragement! Practice what thou preaches.
    Yay! Toffe crisps are lovely. Boost bars hold awful memories for me. I still have a few of the fairycakes to take home with me.

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd post a positive story as I posted a while back about how I was struggling. I saw camhs which didn't help much but talking did make me realise I have a lot in life to look forward to, I'm on the mend, I've put on about 6 pounds, I didn't really want to put weight on but at least this was I'm neither fat nor too skinny, I do kind of want to stay slim and lose those couple of pounds but for now it will help so I dont starve myself again.

It's been hard but this week I've no longer weighed myself every singleday. I've weighed myself twice I think. It's also been a struggle to not count calories but I'm getting there and feel like I'm getting better. I'm going to do nursing at uni in order to help other people and try and continue on the right path to recovery. It's hard and I'm hoping I don't relapse. I have had some health problems my body isn't absorbing iron anymore and I have abnormally low iron, I still feel tired constantly and pass out even though I'm eating at least 2 small meals a day. Just thought I'd post here that it has been extremely hard and I still have days where I really don't want to eat and my head screams at me not to but I think this really is the journey back to recovery, fingers crossed x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    Thought I'd post a positive story as I posted a while back about how I was struggling. I saw camhs which didn't help much but talking did make me realise I have a lot in life to look forward to, I'm on the mend, I've put on about 6 pounds, I didn't really want to put weight on but at least this was I'm neither fat nor too skinny, I do kind of want to stay slim and lose those couple of pounds but for now it will help so I dont starve myself again.

It's been hard but this week I've no longer weighed myself every singleday. I've weighed myself twice I think. It's also been a struggle to not count calories but I'm getting there and feel like I'm getting better. I'm going to do nursing at uni in order to help other people and try and continue on the right path to recovery. It's hard and I'm hoping I don't relapse. I have had some health problems my body isn't absorbing iron anymore and I have abnormally low iron, I still feel tired constantly and pass out even though I'm eating at least 2 small meals a day. Just thought I'd post here that it has been extremely hard and I still have days where I really don't want to eat and my head screams at me not to but I think this really is the journey back to recovery, fingers crossed x

Absolutely brilliant. I think that there are quite a few stories in the past few weeks that have had a positive effect and this is one of them. Now, cumulatively, I've felt the need to congratulate you all.

Truth is, this is a TRUE life disorder. Anything that takes over your life to the point of detriment is a real problem you need to quash, but that's easier said than done.

In reality, what is normality? The guy who eats caramels all day without questioning, or the girl who counts how many leaves on a lettuce she eats to the closest micro-calorie? Well, if the former gets through life without a hitch, then there's nothing wrong with it. If a man chooses to eat nothing but beans his entire life, that's not an eating disorder until he cannot function without meeting his own criteria, right?

"Normal" is something we throw around like it's an exact. The statue of David is not how a man should look. Phil Jupitus is not how a man should look. That's how David and Phil Jupitus look, respectively. Normal is not normal, and we should see average as that - merely average.

We should strive to be exceptional.

Use the things that ail us in a positive way and make our weaknesses the barriers to quell, because life is an adventure we all must overcome - some people have huge mountains to surpass both literal and metaphorical; the thing is, only the bare minimum of us believe in our ability to conquer them.

So if your mountain is a bowl of pasta - so be it. You should conquer it. One person your age, height, race and weight might fear string, and make it their life goal to wear a jumper. Who's to say that's any less relevant/important a life goal?

We live our own lives with the intention to create and defeat barriers. And in this notion, we are all winners. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Absolutely brilliant. I think that there are quite a few stories in the past few weeks that have had a positive effect and this is one of them. Now, cumulatively, I've felt the need to congratulate you all.

Truth is, this is a TRUE life disorder. Anything that takes over your life to the point of detriment is a real problem you need to quash, but that's easier said than done.

In reality, what is normality? The guy who eats caramels all day without questioning, or the girl who counts how many leaves on a lettuce she eats to the closest micro-calorie? Well, if the former gets through life without a hitch, then there's nothing wrong with it. If a man chooses to eat nothing but beans his entire life, that's not an eating disorder until he cannot function without meeting his own criteria, right?

"Normal" is something we throw around like it's an exact. The statue of David is not how a man should look. Phil Jupitus is not how a man should look. That's how David and Phil Jupitus look, respectively. Normal is not normal, and we should see average as that - merely average.

We should strive to be exceptional.

Use the things that ail us in a positive way and make our weaknesses the barriers to quell, because life is an adventure we all must overcome - some people have huge mountains to surpass both literal and metaphorical; the thing is, only the bare minimum of us believe in our ability to conquer them.

So if your mountain is a bowl of pasta - so be it. You should conquer it. One person your age, height, race and weight might fear string, and make it their life goal to wear a jumper. Who's to say that's any less relevant/important a life goal?

We live our own lives with the intention to create and defeat barriers. And in this notion, we are all winners. x
    Well said that is so inspirational. I think that's how it started when people started calling me obese and all I strived to be was perfect. I do honestly feel happy with my weight for the first time in a while and hope it stays this way. My inbox is always open if anyone needs an ear to listen x

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to remind everyone that this Sunday is Easter. Everybody already knows that, but to some of us, there will be panic.

The truth is, religious or not (I'm certainly no Catholic), the tenets of the religion should ring true regardless. This is about resurrection. About pushing away the shackles of burden and celebrating why you were here in the first place.

I mean, YEAH. It's about chocolate eggs too. And my mum bought me a HAYUGE egg, you guys! And I intend upon eating it! And ENJOYING it. And revelling in my success. I've fought on, I've lived on, I've been on death row, and I've battled against it! When the doctors said I had a month to live, SCREW YOU! I thought, "I'm not dying, not for this!" - I don't know what my life has in store for me, but I'm hella sure it doesn't end with a man counting how many peas is on his plate before dying of malnutrition.

If I die next week, with my head held high, in the knowledge that I overcame my greatest foe, having endured school, learned many things, sought to better my being and help others, then if I die, I have no other folly, do I? My demons are defeated.

Easter is about realising your massive obstacle and battling it. It might be (literally, in the case of the tale) a boulder covering a cave. It might be something crazy, like a visa, or a credit card, or a housing benefit. But it also might be a roast beef dinner on Sunday.

If it is the latter, realist that we might all expire on that Sunday, on the Monday, or the day after. Nothing is certain. All we can do is project our strengths, our woes, our endeavours, into the feats we intend to revel in tomorrow. I intend upon truly excelling today, so that tomorrow, I can bask in my achievement. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    I'd just like to remind everyone that this Sunday is Easter. Everybody already knows that, but to some of us, there will be panic.

The truth is, religious or not (I'm certainly no Catholic), the tenets of the religion should ring true regardless. This is about resurrection. About pushing away the shackles of burden and celebrating why you were here in the first place.

I mean, YEAH. It's about chocolate eggs too. And my mum bought me a HAYUGE egg, you guys! And I intend upon eating it! And ENJOYING it. And revelling in my success. I've fought on, I've lived on, I've been on death row, and I've battled against it! When the doctors said I had a month to live, SCREW YOU! I thought, "I'm not dying, not for this!" - I don't know what my life has in store for me, but I'm hella sure it doesn't end with a man counting how many peas is on his plate before dying of malnutrition.

If I die next week, with my head held high, in the knowledge that I overcame my greatest foe, having endured school, learned many things, sought to better my being and help others, then if I die, I have no other folly, do I? My demons are defeated.

Easter is about realising your massive obstacle and battling it. It might be (literally, in the case of the tale) a boulder covering a cave. It might be something crazy, like a visa, or a credit card, or a housing benefit. But it also might be a roast beef dinner on Sunday.

If it is the latter, realist that we might all expire on that Sunday, on the Monday, or the day after. Nothing is certain. All we can do is project our strengths, our woes, our endeavours, into the feats we intend to revel in tomorrow. I intend upon truly excelling today, so that tomorrow, I can bask in my achievement. What about you?
    Toto, I may not know you personally but your posts have reduced me to tears on more than one occasion and this is no exception! I am so incredibly proud of you, and hope that you are also incredibly proud of yourself. Wishing you a very happy easter, sir!
    J x

Easter Sunday is also my birthday, bought a birthday cake today and for the first time in 3 years I will have a slice, or two... or three...
    Is this chick from Sainsburys (for Easter) and is SUPER adorable!

Toto, you are a true inspiration

ReputationRep:
    This thread literally makes me an emotional wreck. Was truly dreading tomorrow but these messages have made me vow to myself to enjoy tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't recall consciously fearing dates such as Easter anymore than regular days. I'm not sure this is a good thing though, often I find I feel most anxious when I'm challenging the ED and stepping out to the disorder. If I'm not feeling stressed, does this mean I'm not challenging myself enough?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say so, Melissa! In fact, that's a good sign. The thing is, EDs are all very much a personal conflict, so to say there's "common ground" is often an ambiguous thing. For example, I might only be able to eat grapes in even numbers, and that could be the cause of my anorexia nervosa. I might also be anorexic because I want to be able to fit into a child's age 10-12 t-shirt, for some reason.

What I mean is that I might have an ED for different reasons, and those exhibit entirely different sets of goals and challenges throughout recovery. I know Easter and Christmas are tough across many peoples' EDs, because they are food-centric. But your ED might not be food-centric at all; it's a causal/effect dilemma. You might be anorexic because you cannot eat with another person in the room, or because you need to eat in a very, very obsessive-compulsive way. Those are just a couple of reasons why the food itself might not be the issue, but the rituals associated might be the impedence.

I guess what I'm getting at is we're all very, very different, and our disorders are very, very personal. So don't flag up worry-signs if we don't all fear the same demons - those demons were all made up by very different heads! X

Um, hi, guys. I was just wondering if anyone would mind if I sent them a PM? I'm sort of in two minds as to whether I have problem or not and if I should get help or not. I just want someone to talk to.

I don't want to type everything out here in case someone can identify who I am by what I write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Um, hi, guys. I was just wondering if anyone would mind if I sent them a PM? I'm sort of in two minds as to whether I have problem or not and if I should get help or not. I just want someone to talk to.

I don't want to type everything out here in case someone can identify who I am by what I write.
    You can PM me I'm a recovered ED-sufferer so I've got experience from every perspective, be it currently having one or struggling with recovery. x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.